Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Never aproach a dock faster than willing to hit it
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/10/2011 :  16:52:25  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGbapn-KcAs&NR=1

John Russell
1999 C250 SR/WK #410
Bay Village, Ohio
Sailing Lake Erie
Don't Postpone Joy!

Edited by - on

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  17:00:42  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Seems like an alternative to docking with lines. On a positive note, it seems pretty secure when it finally came to rest.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  17:52:55  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBsA3wa5OGE

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  18:11:39  Show Profile
On John's video, what's that guy on the bow doing--leading a choral group?

Then there's this one[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ntMluaKA_c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ntMluaKA_c[/url]... Maybe 41 was trying do dry-slip his boat. (If you're dubious about the "speculation" on who this is, the large black RIB is the Secret Service, and there are other close-up videos of the same boat at the same dock.) He got a new triple-Merc Fountain this year after running that one up on the rocks.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/10/2011 18:13:06
Go to Top of Page

two port feet
1st Mate

Members Avatar

77 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  18:23:21  Show Profile
Every time I see that second video I think they make it look like they done it everyday for years. You can just here the Captain say tomorrow don’t be late and bring your own lunch. Love that video.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  07:06:59  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Every time I see that second video I think they make it look like they done it everyday for years. You can just here the Captain say tomorrow don’t be late and bring your own lunch. Love that video. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Agreed. that guys knows his boat and his harbor, one of my favorites as well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  07:47:20  Show Profile
Check this out, coolest trailer set-up I've ever seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBNq0NlEp78&NR=1&feature=fvwp

This, however, is the best one I've seen on how to do it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8F_GyUBYU

One more, okay two more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RmL5fyC9_o&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYDZ6mdkH0w&feature=related

Edited by - dmpilc on 01/11/2011 08:09:51
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  08:21:10  Show Profile
and then there's this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNxLjCBJc&feature=related

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  09:55:58  Show Profile
"Never aproach a dock faster than willing to hit it"

As someone who grew up a powerboater, with the last power boat having something like one horsepower for every fifteen pounds of boat, power braking around the dock wasn't an issue. Moving to a sailboat that has about one horsepower for every 800 pounds of slippery boat,...well, it only took one lesson to learn sailboats don't have power brakes!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

klassi1
1st Mate

Members Avatar

88 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  11:42:35  Show Profile
After watching these, I'm quite proud of my 10 yo niece. She handily docks my sailboat every time she goes out with us. Now, backing it out of the slip is another story.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  12:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">Once in Charlevoix, MI sailed a friends 22 footer right into the marina, pulled into the slip and stopped perfectly all without the motor. Neat trick!
Later when I thought about it, it was one of the stupidest things I've ever done.
Second only to single handing "Peregrine" in 30+ knots without a harness.</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  12:30:08  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peregrine</i>
<br />Once in Charlevoix, MI sailed a friends 22 footer right into the marina, pulled into the slip and stopped perfectly all without the motor. Neat trick!
Later when I thought about it, it was one of the stupidest things I've ever done.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Coming in sans motor stupid? On the contrary, I think it's a skill every sailor should have. Kudos!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  12:39:37  Show Profile
We frequently sailed into our slip at the marina in our C22, but the slip was about 6 from the end of the pier and the wind was on the nose going into the slip. I don't do that in the C25, too heavy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  13:22:56  Show Profile
Whether sailing into the slip is a good idea depends on the windspeed, wind direction and currents at the time, and the location of the slip. Some slips are easy to sail into, and others are very difficult. Sailing into your slip downwind sounds easy, but, since a sailboat has no brakes, you have a problem if you get a strong puff and can't slow down. If the wind is moderate and abeam, and if it will be on the nose when you turn into the slip, that's pretty favorable. Approach under mainsail only, and drop the mainsail when you're close enough to coast the rest of the way. (You can use the jib, especially if it's roller-furled, but generally I prefer using the mainsail, because the sail area of a non-furling jib can't be reduced if you get a strong puff. The mainsail's area can be reduced as much as needed to maintain control.) Have your boat hooks handy, so you can pull the boat in if it stops too soon. It's always better to be going too slow than too fast, because, if the boat stops short of the slip, you can work it in the rest of the way with boat hooks. You can use the boat hooks to grab pilings or the docklines or pulpits of other boats in their slips, and to keep the boat moving in the desired direction. If the wind is too strong, you can lower the mainsail halfway or more, letting it lie on the coach roof. The small amount of sail area that remains should be enough to drive the boat slowly, and, if necessary, you can even sail to windward with all but a little triangle of sail lying on the coach roof.

Whenever sailing into your slip, you represent a more-than-usual hazard to other boaters, because you don't have as much control as when docking under power. Therefore, it's good practice to have your horn at hand, and use it, in case another boat starts to leave it's slip in front of you, or rounds a blind corner. When your ability to maneuver is limited, you really need other boats to defer to you, and they will, if you alert them.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 01/11/2011 13:32:14
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  13:40:01  Show Profile
I learned to sail at a sailing school on a Bavarian lake. My instructor was a Brit whose most memorable line was "You don't need no stinkin' motor!" He was right. The Catalina 25s that were at the school did not have motors and we were required to sail away and back into the slip. Actually, slip isn't quite accurate. It was a long pier with 3 or 4 boats tied alongside. If you came back and the only spot left was the one in the middle, that's where you sailed to. God help you if you approached the pier down wind. Sometimes sailing instructors have "colorful" things to say about you and your ancestry then. There was a very small basin between the pier and the land that you hade to maneuver (come about) to be sure you were into the wind approaching the dock.

I still try to sail into my slip once in a while when the wind and traffic are right but, the dockmaster frowns upon it. In fact, he says there is a rule against it but, I've never seen it.

Don's right, it's a skill every sailor should have.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  14:28:51  Show Profile
Our boat club in my previous town had a rule against sailing in, or so they said... (I don't think it was written.) Actually, they needed a rule to keep some of the powerboaters from <i>motoring</i> in! At least sailboats go where you point them--powerboats tend to slip and slide in very inconvenient ways, although "twin screws" help a lot. Neighboring powerboaters were frequently amazed by how I could back our sailboats in without touching the boat on either side, with barely a foot of clearance. They generally had to grab, pull, push, and bump their way in. Fenders were important!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/11/2011 14:48:26
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  16:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peregrine</i>
<br />Once in Charlevoix, MI sailed a friends 22 footer right into the marina, pulled into the slip and stopped perfectly all without the motor. Neat trick!
Later when I thought about it, it was one of the stupidest things I've ever done.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Coming in sans motor stupid? On the contrary, I think it's a skill every sailor should have. Kudos!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">Well thanks. Getting back to the mooring (in my case) or the slip without a motor may be needed time to time but...
The slip was three rows in and all the way into dock. Had anyone been trying to out... Well...
To the original point getting the speed just right to get to the gas dock is a skill I only need/use two or three times a season (I'm on a mooring) so I always need to concentrate on what I'm doing. I always single hand so I usually just one shot at it and I have the added task of getting foreward and aft lines to the dock crew.
Luckily they are young and agile.
I'm still learning my new Tohatsu 9.8 it's a bit different than the old Sailmaster 8.
I will say there are fewer "<b><font color="red">fire-drills</font id="red"></b>" when I get back to my mooring. I always let the wind, light or heavy, push the nose down on the mooring for the pick up.
I could run a pick up line back to the cockpit but I don't.
A bungee on the tiller, the motor just above idle and usually I'm good to go forward.</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  16:26:53  Show Profile
I only sail into a slip if the engine fails - never just for fun or to show off. There's too much potential to damage someone else's boat. If other boaters see you ricochet off their boats, you'll become unpopular fast. Nevertheless, in some small boat marinas, it's not uncommon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  20:48:33  Show Profile
Even though manuevering under sail in my marina is not allowed, it's even written in our slip contracts, I've had to do it more than a few times in the past fifteen years due to occassional outboard issues. Every time it's been pretty much a non-event.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2011 :  07:15:39  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Sailing in isn't an option for me with the ICW tidal current, sandbars and houses blocking wind down a 100 yard canal, so have never tried it. Would seem to be pretty difficult to me. I guess a major slow and go, huh?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2011 :  13:21:38  Show Profile
I've had to do it a few times due to engine failure which can be a nail biter as the prevailing wind is typically from the south and to get to my slip you have to head south straight into the wind up a narrow fairway. I've made it every time without an issue but it is stressful. I agree, a boat hook is your best friend here.

Going out , on the other hand is easy with a good crew member. Hold tiller to midships and have your crew push you out, a strong push to the bow as they get on from the end of the finger and unroll the head sail. We do that one all the time.

One thing to remember, if you have an engine failure and are forced to sail back in, is that you don't HAVE to sail to YOUR slip. Sometimes it might be safer to sail to an easier to get to dock or empty slip. I've never had to do this but having this option in the back of your mind, in case you need it, is nice.

Edited by - PCP777 on 01/12/2011 13:31:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page