Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Video of Cat25 sailing in severe winter conditions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ryan L
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/19/2011 :  10:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
Taken a few days ago off the coast of San Diego. Three Cat 25s and one other small boat sailed from up to Oceanside for a night. It's amazing we survived. At one point the temperature dropped below 70... Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/18944025

"Naoma"
1988 Ericson 38-200
San Diego, CA

Formerly of:
"Maria T"
1987 C25 SR WK 5695
San Diego, CA
L DOCK ARMADA

Edited by - on

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  10:48:18  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">At one point the temperature dropped below 70... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I would have had to have ear muffs and long johns!!

We see dolphins frequently, but not whales! Good Stuff.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  10:51:30  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Ryan, Thanks for the great videos. I see you have her rigged with proper gear, ie, jacklines and PFD's. I am in Newport and too have seen similar sights alongside. Great feeling huh?
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  12:00:16  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piseas</i>
<br />Ryan, Thanks for the great videos. I see you have her rigged with proper gear, ie, jacklines and PFD's. I am in Newport and too have seen similar sights alongside. Great feeling huh?
Steve A
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

And PLB, 2xVHF, leashed plugs for through hulls, trauma/med kit, emer rations, spare parts, etc etc etc. Not my first rodeo... ;)

Whales and dolphins common but never gets old!

Newport = nice area. A bit closer to 'da island too... You're stoked! Next time the L-dock armada heads north we'll post it here so you northerners can cruise down to meet up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  12:02:47  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Davy J</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">At one point the temperature dropped below 70... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I would have had to have ear muffs and long johns!!

We see dolphins frequently, but not whales! Good Stuff.

At first I thought you were kidding then I noticed you're from Tampa Bay. Great area for sailing!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dave holtgrave
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
427 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  12:36:04  Show Profile
you can aways fly into my area.
of course do it today yet. after that looks like 4-6 inches of snow. my lake i sail on is about 3 miles wide and 10 miles long. froze over.

you guys are so lucky

dave holtgrave
5722 sk/tr
hard and dry
near carlyle lake in sdouthern illinois

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  13:05:21  Show Profile
Wonderful video, after noticing the very beautiful lady with you in the stills I have to say the Body Surfing video was less than I hoped for.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  13:08:10  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">At first I thought you were kidding<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No, not kidding, if it drops below 70, we have long pants, layered shirts, my wife puts on the ear muffs, and I think about putting on gloves !!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">leashed plugs for through hulls<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
We carry EPIRB, 2 VHF, 2 GPS, inflatable PFDs w/harness, But I hadn't thought about this. Thanks, something to add to the safety list.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  13:19:13  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pastmember</i>
<br />Wonderful video, after noticing the very beautiful lady with you in the stills I have to say the Body Surfing video was less than I hoped for.

LOL, ok sorry to disappoint... Let me try to make up for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNYfhCLCGSM

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  13:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">leashed plugs for through hulls<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
We carry EPIRB, 2 VHF, 2 GPS, inflatable PFDs w/harness, But I hadn't thought about this. Thanks, something to add to the safety list.
[/quote]

In my opinion other commonly forgot items include:
- Tool for cutting away rigging in case of mast coming down (before it can put a hole in boat)

- Bucket and/or high volume manual portable bilge pump to backup fixed pump(s)

- Waterproof grab bag ("wet" bag) filled with simple rations, signal devices, spare VHF, etc and located in easy to grab location in case of imminent loss of vessel.

- terminal fuses on batteries (most people have fuses at the panel after the selector switch but nothing protecting the main battery cables leading to the power source to the switch in the first place)

- Instant heat packs and disposable blanket to treat hypothermia (heat packs placed under arm pits, on sides and back of neck, in groin area)

- smoke detectors (preferably photoelectric and ionization for electrical vs galley fires)

- MOB recovery system (beyond simple Type IV PFD, in other words a way to get an exhausted person back onboard)

- quick cure epoxy stick (can set underwater)

- spare batteries to backup DC powered GPS etc

etc etc etc etc etc.

The challenge is having the perspective to spend the money when you know that 99% of what is purchased will never be used...

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread about dolphins and whales... ;)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  15:42:05  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The challenge is having the perspective to spend the money when you know that 99% of what is purchased will never be used...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hopefully.

I decided to buy an epirb last year after the NFL football players lost their lives when their boat swamped and turned over a few miles out of Clearwater Pass. The incident was complete operator error, but if they would have had an epirb, they would probably still be alive.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  17:20:16  Show Profile
Just what us snow/ice/freezing rain bound New Englanders needed to see -- the better life undersail with nature abound!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Alan Clark
Captain

Members Avatar

406 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  17:24:10  Show Profile
Ryan, Great Looking Boat, Thanks for Sharing the videos and Safety tips. I am envious as right now Lake Erie is covered about 80% with ICE. I needed a sailing fix. Only 90 days til Launch! :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  17:55:51  Show Profile
Alan,
there is a lot to be said for wintering in Florida. Wait 'till you read the next Mainsheet!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Alan Clark
Captain

Members Avatar

406 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  18:31:29  Show Profile
Dave, You <i><b>Depress</b></i> Me... LOL, I have a couple of more years to work <i><b>BUT than</b></i> we will be towing the "Leprechaun" down South to your neck of the woods.. We have looked at Bigger Boats BUT they do not offer what we want to be able to do. Besides "Leprechaun" is just exactly how we want her . It won't be Long!Than I will be able to depress someone else !

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  19:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alan Clark</i>
<br />Ryan, Great Looking Boat, Thanks for Sharing the videos and Safety tips. I am envious as right now Lake Erie is covered about 80% with ICE. I needed a sailing fix. Only 90 days til Launch! :)

Solution-&gt; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC45QJOn8Go

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

klassi1
1st Mate

Members Avatar

88 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  20:04:47  Show Profile
Cruel, just plain cruel. Watching it sleet right now. Expecting 3-5 inches.

On the bright side, got the Spring racing schedule - we start back on March 20th! Can't wait for Spring.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2011 :  20:56:14  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Ryan, who said sailing on liquid only required! If I were only 30 years younger and didn't live in SoCal, hehe. Meet up one day sounds great. And the whales and dolphins never get boring.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2011 :  14:24:58  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ryan L</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pastmember</i>
<br />Wonderful video, after noticing the very beautiful lady with you in the stills I have to say the Body Surfing video was less than I hoped for.

LOL, ok sorry to disappoint... Let me try to make up for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNYfhCLCGSM

My brother was an Ocean Life Guard in New South Wales Australia; the giant canoe surfers. Good on ya mate.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2011 :  15:17:21  Show Profile
Well when its going down into the teens tonight and this morning we woke to a fresh 4" more of the white stuff looking at this video really helps!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page