Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New (to me) 83 C25!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BernieM
1st Mate

Member Avatar

29 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/29/2011 :  06:57:51  Show Profile
Hello to everybody! I've been reading through your forums here for the past couple of weeks and just decided to finally sign up myself. This forum seems to be a great resource with a lot of knowledgeable people!

I just got married a couple of months ago and when we were sitting down opening all of the greeting cards we finally came to the card my wife's grandfather sent us. I opened it up expecting to see a typical check or cash you see in wedding cards. Well, we were pleasantly surprised when I opened it up and inside was the title to his 83 C25! Needless to say, best wedding gift ever!

I learned to sail from my grandpa on a Hobie 14 when I was about 10(I'm about to turn 25) and sailed that for quite a few years before we had to sell it, so the C25 is going to be a whole new experience.

I'm definitely itching for summer to come around, and looking forward to reading through some more interesting posts!

Bernie

1983 C25 TR/FK #3501 "Songbird"
Sailing on Atwood Lake, Sherrodsville, OH

Edited by - on

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2011 :  07:10:24  Show Profile
Bernie,

Congratulations on your wedding and new boat! Where do you plan to sail her?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2011 :  07:25:50  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Looks like you won the trifecta - Wedding, boat and first posting (#1) ! Congratulations on your marriage.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BernieM
1st Mate

Members Avatar

29 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2011 :  07:57:03  Show Profile
I'll be sailing her on Atwood Lake, near Sherrodsville,OH. She's been sailed there for quite a few years. There are two clubs on the lake that organize weekly races, so I'm going to get involved in those...if I can find a crew.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2011 :  09:41:58  Show Profile
You'll find you can racer her singlehandedly if you want, particularly if you race in the white-sails fleet. If your H-14 was a Turbo, you've done it all before! (We can talk about cross-sheeting some day...)

Congratulations!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/29/2011 09:43:06
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2011 :  08:41:58  Show Profile
Congrats Bernie!

Our first Catalina (a 22') came from Atwood Lake. There's a C25 or two at our lake that came from there as well.

I think you'll love the 25.

Lots of great advice resides here - ask away!

Edited by - OJ on 02/11/2011 11:38:30
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2011 :  09:22:38  Show Profile
Congratulations on the new boat, and marriage! When I was shopping around for my C25, I looked at a boat up on Atwood; Ronan II, owned by Ron and Nancy somebody. I participated as crew at Atwood's Harvest Moon Regatta a number of years ago. That yacht club has a beautiful facility. I wish we had something like that down here in Columbus.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2011 :  09:55:37  Show Profile
What a wonderful family, I hope you can do something similar someday.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BernieM
1st Mate

Members Avatar

29 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  08:53:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />You'll find you can racer her singlehandedly if you want, particularly if you race in the white-sails fleet. If your H-14 was a Turbo, you've done it all before! (We can talk about cross-sheeting some day...)

Congratulations!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Unfortunately, it wasn't a turbo...which is why I think I'll be up against a bit of a learning curve when it comes to trimming headsails and handling a larger boat in general. I've already talked to a few people at the yacht club that are willing to give me a few pointers as well. Can't wait till spring rolls around to get some projects underway.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  14:19:46  Show Profile
Take experienced club members out on a good weather day and learn as much as you can from them. Crew for them in races, if possible. Watch and learn.
Above all, take your wife's grandfather sailing, if his health permits, and learn from the guy who gave the boat to you! Pay attention to him and reinforce that his gift was a good choice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  16:52:39  Show Profile
Actually, the little Turbo jib doesn't compare well to the C-25 genoa, which is the main driver of the boat. She sails nicely on the genny alone--a nice way to have a relaxing sail in blustery conditions, especially if you have a roller-furler. (Pull one string and you're sailing--pull another and you're not! )

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2011 :  08:31:00  Show Profile
Hey Bernie,

Welcome to the forum! You're going to love your C-25. The great thing about these boats is that they are very easy and forgiving to sail and they make for the perfect "summer cabin." My family and I overnight on ours all the time. Racing is a blast, but so bare raft ups and lazy cruising. I had had a long drought from sailing and before I bought my C-25 I bought a little one design to get my "chops" back. I sailed it for one year and then moved up to the C-25. Trimming the head sail is not a big deal, you'll pick that up quickly enough. For me the hardest part to get used to was using the motor and taking her in and out of the slip. As is said around here, never approach a dock faster than you're willing to hit it. It's a good idea to keep a boat hook in the cockpit until you get comfortable with this. You'll want to take some experienced sailors with you, and it's great advice to sign up as crew on another boat for the weekly races. I did that and it helped me immensely. Now I race both my boat occasionally on weekends and crew on a C-27 on Wednesdays, good times and you learn so much.

One thing, with a new family on the water and being a novice to keel boats, it's very important that you keep perspective on what kind of time your wife is having as you go through the learning curve. Stuff will occur! Be careful to not bark orders or she may quickly tire of sailing. I almost drove my wife away in this manner and there's been discussion in this forum on this topic. Keep it smooth and relaxed as much as possible, regardless of what is happening. Remember, your boat can only sink one. :)

Anyways, welcome and enjoy!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2011 :  11:44:35  Show Profile
I've been at this for decades longer than I can believe, and I still have a boat hook in the cockpit in close quarters. If I have crew, there will be a boat hook on the foredeck too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2011 :  15:10:30  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
What an awesome deal Bernie, congrats and welcome to the association!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

KeziCat
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
28 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2011 :  06:50:24  Show Profile
Hi Bernie,

I'm in Macedonia, OH. 44056
Our C-25 is over in Southwest Michigan so we don't get to see her as often as we would like.

Maybe we can get together for this spring/summer. My wife and I are interested in crewing.

Kev

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Chris Z
Captain

Members Avatar

452 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2011 :  03:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Chris Z's Homepage
Bernie,

I live in Hartville, Ohio and have my C25 on Atwood. Send me an email at c zofchak at sbc global dot net (no spaces in the email)

I have done a lot of the upgrades and improvements you will find here on the forum.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2011 :  11:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Do I hear an Atwood Regional regatta in the making...

Is Atwood Lake really as green as it looks in googlemaps??

Edited by - Prospector on 02/11/2011 11:06:45
Go to Top of Page

Chris Z
Captain

Members Avatar

452 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2011 :  18:27:52  Show Profile  Visit Chris Z's Homepage
No, that is a very bad satellite picture. Look in Google Earth and the one picture of the clouds on the lake was taken by me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Chris Z
Captain

Members Avatar

452 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2011 :  18:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Chris Z's Homepage
It is a very small lake that has very light winds. I have part of the racing at Atwwod and it is good if the wind picks up which doesn't happen all to often. I like it for now because it is close enough to make it out a lot.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BernieM
1st Mate

Members Avatar

29 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2011 :  07:56:20  Show Profile
Atwood is definitely a far cry from the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean, that's for sure. It is a reservoir used for flood control so it is fed mostly from runoff. I assume that doesn't help the color situation. It isn't very deep, so that's probably why you can see the green muck on the bottom of the lake from the aerial photos.

The best time to sail is in the spring and fall; the wind kind of dies down during the heat of summer. The wind probably averages 7-8 knots during the summer, so its nothing too extreme.

The Atwood Yacht Club hosts the Harvest Moon Regatta annually in September with cruiser and one-design classes, that seems to draw a fair number of people. I'm looking forward to taking part in it this year after I practice up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Evans
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Mexico
3 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2011 :  21:58:10  Show Profile
Bernie, Congrats! You've obviously married into a great family (I got a crock pot and a chicken to go in it). I too sailed a Hobie 14 (with turbo)before moving up to larger boats. The first thing you will notice is how much easier your C25 is to sail and how much more forgiving it is. Things happen much slower than on a cat. Also having an ice box and head are nice! Enjoy!

Curious, did your wife sail with her grandad?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BernieM
1st Mate

Members Avatar

29 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2011 :  12:43:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Evans</i>
<br />
Curious, did your wife sail with her grandad?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Actually, no she didn't. Her grandfather was brand new to sailing when he bought Songbird 2 or 3 years ago. Luckily, he bought her from another member at the yacht club who seems to be pretty willing to talk about the ins and outs of sailing her.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page