Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 OK, This Would Make Me Seasick
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/12/2011 :  21:25:26  Show Profile
Even with an ear patch...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3kiKJWPd1M&feature=related"]Wild Ride[/url]

The ending is the wildest dive of all.

We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 02/12/2011 21:28:19

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  06:18:21  Show Profile
That would feel like going up and down 2-3 floors on a high speed elevator every few seconds! Even Popeye's stomach would get queasy!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

KeziCat
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
28 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  06:29:18  Show Profile
Makes me wonder how the heck anyone can even hang on in those conditions. The sailors must have taken a beating from all the tossing about.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  09:20:02  Show Profile
How bout this one [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEDcFkgrDbk"]inside a cruise ship[/url]. Watch out for that piano!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  10:00:37  Show Profile
This almost looks like pictures were taken during filming of "Deadliest Catch". There is another boat filming this.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  10:20:35  Show Profile
Reminds me of 45 years ago trying to skirt around a typhoon in the China Sea. Taking solid water over the flight deck 65 feet above the waterline. Kind of like astronaut weightlessness training.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  10:31:57  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
With you Dave, the trawler video is kinda tame compared to an Aircraft carrier doing that, then the flight deck was getting dipped on the dive and the bow coming out of the water on the heave, and a lotta sailors doing the same! My second Carrier did that and my bunk was 15' from the bow on the deck beneath the flight deck. Strapped in for a couple of days as we headed through a hurricane / typhoon in the indian ocean, just had to get where we were going on time!

The seas bent a gun sponson, that's not skinny metal! It had a Bofors 40 mm AA Gun mounted on it.

Arrrrr, them were the days... glad it was then and not now!

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 02/13/2011 10:36:35
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  10:34:14  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
I'm watching Dave's Cruise ship video when suddenly James T. Kirk pops in to mind, riding out an Ion Storm on the Enterprise, with Sulu, Bones, Spock and Scotty sliding all over the Bridge, hahaha

Edited by - DaveR on 02/13/2011 10:42:03
Go to Top of Page

mmac
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  16:18:24  Show Profile
Dave 5041,
I was riding out Typhoon Pamela in that same area the last week'66. I was on a 172 foot Minesweeper. We were taking green water over the bridge at times. As you know, the waves were further a part than in this video so our ups and downs took longer. With the occasional 45 degree rolls, it was definitely an E-Coupon ride.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Mike013
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
64 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  17:04:02  Show Profile
In 1972 I was a Navy Pilot on board the USS Kitty Hawk. We flyers used to make fun of the poor sailors riding the plane guard destroyer in our wake. During our transit to WESTPAC, we hit heavy seas in the North Pacific. The destroyer following us was bouncing around much like the ship in the video. Later I learned they ate nothing but cold food for three days, until the foul weather passed. Fast forward one month and now we were cruising up and down the Gulf of Tonkin where the only the hazard to navigation was the possibility of running aground on hold back fittings (from catapult shots) and empty Coca Cola cans. This was before the April Invasion heated things up again. I was fortunate enough to win a lottery which had as it's prize, a R&R visit to Kaohsiung, Taiwan. The twenty lucky winners would get there via, you guessed it, a destroyer. Our ride was the USS Everett F. Larson, DD-830.

On our way to Kaohsiung, we passed through the tail end of a typhoon. The waves were breaking over the bridge and I felt like we were on an out of control elevator. I personally counted barfing 22 times until there was nothing left and the dry heaves took over. I think I barfed up my spleen and and a few ribs. The only time I felt halfway alive was when the bridge team let me put my hands on the ship's helm. Then the sea sickness would abate until I had to let go.

It was the second worst night of my life. The first being one night in Da Nang when I could not find my flak jacket.

Ever since then, I have had a tremendous respect for those "that go down to the sea in ships".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2011 :  13:16:54  Show Profile
Guess there's a few here that have those stories. I was on a 300ft Icebreaker that got caught in about 40-50 ft seas (can't remember- there was some dispute). We also ate only sandwiches and cold food for about 3 days. They had the quartermaster's on the helm because they said if we went more than 15 degrees off course we would get sideways in the trough and roll over. We were riding up one wave and down the next doing 1 knot backwards.

We also lost a boat. We had an LCMP (That's what we called it) on deck chained into a steel I-beam cradle. This is one of those landing crafts where the front falls down and the crew can walk out of the bow. It was gone and the I-beam was bent over. It's not a small beam either.

I was young and thought it was cool.

PS. Didn't get seasick. Go figure??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2011 :  15:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
OK dumb question - things are calm at teh start of teh movie, and calm again at the end. the movie is only 2 minutes long with just 1:30 or so of real "action."

Lets say its been sped up 4X. Anyone here heard of a 4 minute storm? Watching the stuff slide back and forth I count about 12 waves.

Is it more likely they were punching through some chop to enter a harbour or something??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2011 :  18:17:21  Show Profile
Editing could be the issue, but I thought it looked like they might be shooting an inlet. That can get really ugly in some places and no sea room if you choke.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2011 :  20:02:24  Show Profile
I'm guessing they were abeam to some seas that exceeded their expectations, and they managed to turn into them. Even when things "calmed down", you could see there was some trepidation--probably due to some continued fore-aft pitching. The fixed camera, that didn't allow us to see the ship's motion, makes it hard to judge. But it was probably similar to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tChJ2fBKw6w"]this one[/url]... Glad I wasn't there.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/14/2011 20:04:15
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  07:05:04  Show Profile
The cruise ship video doesn't look much different than the Loma Prieta quake (1989) we rode out. We had office furniture, photocopy machines, etc. chasing people all around the office. Incredibly no one seriously injured. Changed a lot of rules and attitudes regarding securing furniture.
Back on topic, to all of you who have experienced the sea's fury, my hats off to you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  07:15:57  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> to all of you who have experienced the sea's fury, my hats off to you. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

All Star Trekking aside, I totally agree. Thank you and Salute to you guys that served.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page