Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 A semi-good outing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/14/2011 :  19:02:01  Show Profile
I set sail today to overnight in a secluded little anchorage that a local with a 40' powerboat recommended. It was near 70ยบ and I ran east up the sound for two hours with 10kts over the stern quarter and the cable humming. The anchorage was a little trough with 10' depth, 100 yards wide and 1/2 mile long that was tucked in behind some dunes and surrounded by by salt marsh and 1' - 2' shallows. The entry snaked around a bit and went over a 6' depth ridge. It looked great on the chart. Shifting is the unfortunate nature of sand, and I couldn't make it in. Stymied 50 yards from the entrance! With no other anchorages close enough to make before nightfall, I reluctantly headed home. The breeze that was supposed to lighten and back to southerlies didn't happen. A wet, 3 hour beat into 20 kts with seas at 3' was a less than idyllic finish. But the day wasn't over. I have been backing into my slip for ease of boarding stringing my shore power cable. Today I horrible misjudged how much 20 kts on the beam would swing me as I backed down. I did a full pirouette between the pilings, hooked what should have been my port bow line from the piling and made it to my starboard stern. Enough, I thought. I'm securing Pearl and driving to Surf Burger! My car keys must have done a lot of bouncing in the cabin during that 3 hour beat. A fruitless search with cabin lights and a flashlight finally resigned me to dinner at home and a daylight search tomorrow. It still beats pushing a snowblower.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2011 :  19:51:41  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave5041</i>
<br />...It still beats pushing a snowblower.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hey--snowblowing is <i>fun!</i> (...says the condo-dweller who used to do it till about six years ago. )

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jhinton
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
123 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2011 :  20:11:04  Show Profile
Snowblowing is fun for the first 5 minutes... Until you realize that there are others who are enjoying a nice breeze from the cockpit of their sailboats at the same time you have 5 layers on and are enjoying the brisk 5 degrees!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skybird
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2011 :  21:12:55  Show Profile  Visit skybird's Homepage
Check out this snowblower--it really might be fun for a few minutes (til you went deaf)!!

http://us.mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=6krtdfh1857es

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jhinton
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
123 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  06:21:20  Show Profile
I can't get the link to open.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  06:57:22  Show Profile
Across from Kohler Bayou?

Edited by - redeye on 02/15/2011 07:00:21
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  07:26:05  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skybird</i>
<br />http://us.mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=6krtdfh1857es
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">What kind of link is that supposed to be?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  07:47:16  Show Profile
Should have motored on and had the Destin harbor taxi take you to dinner. An adventure of another sort...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  09:50:12  Show Profile
Kohler Bayou is another 25 miles, and Destin is further. I usually eat dinner before I go to bed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jack Schafer
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
112 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  10:57:42  Show Profile
6 more days and heading toward Ft. Myers/Cape Coral and some sailing around Sanibel!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  13:14:47  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Dave, semi-good outing? Sounds like several hours of great sailing with a little challenge at the end and you made it back in one piece and no damage, right? Sounds like a great day to me even with getting in the slip. I will take that any day.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  15:03:23  Show Profile
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at the office.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  17:20:36  Show Profile
For the record (IMHO)...snow-blowing isn't fun past age 30 or so...

Edited by - jerlim on 02/15/2011 17:23:30
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  18:36:27  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jerlim</i>
<br />For the record (IMHO)...snow-blowing isn't fun past age 30 or so...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The secret is good ski attire, sometimes including goggles. Then, half the fun is figuring out a strategy that uses the wind. The results are very gratifying! I used to enjoy it so much I'd do the (very attractive divorcee) next-door neighbor's driveway and walks, too! She moved to MN, and amazingly, gets the same service from another neighbor--go figure!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skybird
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  19:45:35  Show Profile  Visit skybird's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skybird</i>
<br />http://us.mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=6krtdfh1857es
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">What kind of link is that supposed to be?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Sorry i didn't try it first. Don't know how to fix it. It is a 454 powered snowblower with open vertical exhaust, small enough to walk behind

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  19:49:29  Show Profile
Dave B -- thanks for reminding us of what we have to look forward to when the snow clears.

Dave Br -- thats what they all say -- in CT or MN!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  21:24:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skybird</i>
<br />...It is a 454 powered snowblower with open vertical exhaust, small enough to walk behind<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Are we talking about [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhL7GhHmADs&NR=1"]this[/url]? (More noise than function.)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/15/2011 21:26:00
Go to Top of Page

skybird
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  21:32:57  Show Profile  Visit skybird's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skybird</i>
<br />...It is a 454 powered snowblower with open vertical exhaust, small enough to walk behind<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Are we talking about [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhL7GhHmADs&NR=1"]this[/url]? (More noise than function.)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yes sir, that looks like the one!--a bad case of "mine's bigger than yours"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2011 :  04:42:31  Show Profile
Heck.. I just wanna hear about Surf Burger!

Yogi to the hot dog vendor "Make me one with everything".

Edited by - redeye on 02/16/2011 04:45:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page