Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 San Diego Sailing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

farrison
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
166 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/20/2011 :  11:12:31  Show Profile
Hello all. I am traveling to the San Diego Bay area on Wed., 3/30 through Sat. 4/2. I am traveling with a sailing friend of mine and we would love to go out sailing with one of you locals while we are there. Our times are very flexible, as are our payment terms, (dinner, lunch, boat drinks, etc.). We are both inland sea sailors (The Great Salt Lake) and we would like to se what it is like to sail in water with a <u>low</u> salt content.

Paul, Great Salt Lake Marina

"Waiting Name" '82' C25 SR/WK #2866.

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2011 :  12:57:18  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by farrison</i>
<br />...would like to se what it is like to sail in water with a <u>low</u> salt content.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The boat sits lower in the water...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2011 :  17:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
Like sailing in the great salt lake but with much less rust I suppose? I will probably no be around those dates but I forwarded your request to some of the L Dock Armada. Beer is a powerful motivator for that crew.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by farrison</i>
<br />Hello all. I am traveling to the San Diego Bay area on Wed., 3/30 through Sat. 4/2. I am traveling with a sailing friend of mine and we would love to go out sailing with one of you locals while we are there. Our times are very flexible, as are our payment terms, (dinner, lunch, boat drinks, etc.). We are both inland sea sailors (The Great Salt Lake) and we would like to se what it is like to sail in water with a <u>low</u> salt content.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dave holtgrave
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
427 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2011 :  19:25:12  Show Profile
we ahd a great guy in san diego that would take anyone sailing when they came to town.
then last year he busted his butt to make the nationals a great event. the result was IMHO he got screwed at the nationals and now doesn"t reply to anything anymore. hope he well because i miss his input.

dave holtgrave
5722 sk/tr
almost wet near carlyle lake in southern illinois.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2011 :  21:24:09  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dave holtgrave</i>
<br />we ahd a great guy in san diego that would take anyone sailing when they came to town.
then last year he busted his butt to make the nationals a great event. the result was IMHO he got screwed at the nationals and now doesn"t reply to anything anymore...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I think you missed something. Jim Baumgart sold his C-25 and is heavily engaged in racing his "new" Pearson 30 Flyer, a serious racer. This includes restoring and refitting a neglected boat, recruiting crew, running practices, and entering a social/competitive environment he was only on the periphery of with the C-25 that always crossed the line last. (He has now crossed it FIRST.) He now lives further from his boat (which is in San Diego Bay rather than Mission Bay), and he's no longer a C-25 sailor, but I'll attest that he's not reacting to anything having to do with the Nationals he worked on, or his many years of service to this association. Jim is living his dream, and it's in a world that has little relationship to most C-25 owners. My hat's off to him!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/20/2011 21:30:22
Go to Top of Page

dave holtgrave
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
427 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2011 :  08:03:31  Show Profile
just seems funny up to the nationals last year he was always on the forum.
then all the situations at the nationals he drops totally out of site.

just stating what i see.

you got to admit it was unusual nationals.
notone i would be proud to win

dave holtgrave
5722 sk/tr
sailing carlyle lake in southern illinois

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2011 :  09:45:47  Show Profile
JimB spent years trying to race with his good ol' C-25, but now his spare time is certainly taken up with racing his new boat.

Jim deserves a lot of credit for helping to make the Association an exciting place for both cruising and racing sailors over the last number of years!

Dave Bristle got it right!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
You know, in my humble opinion, the cat 25 is so far removed from being a race boat that anyone who takes nationals as anything more than just a fun event with some friends may be kinda missing the point...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dave holtgrave</i>
<br />just seems funny up to the nationals last year he was always on the forum.
then all the situations at the nationals he drops totally out of site.

just stating what i see.

you got to admit it was unusual nationals.
notone i would be proud to win

dave holtgrave
5722 sk/tr
sailing carlyle lake in southern illinois

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:33:58  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ryan L</i>
<br />You know, in my humble opinion, the cat 25 is so far removed from being a race boat that anyone who takes nationals as anything more than just a fun event with some friends may be kinda missing the point...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Most of our better C-25 racers own fin keelers, which were simply not purchased for or with trailers. And hardly any of the 6000+ C-25s made were purchased for racing. They are not one-design boats (three keels, two rigs, inboards and outboards), they're heavy, their mast-head rigs aren't meant for racing, the silly little transom-mounted traveler is..... silly. They were inexepensive, "transportable" starter-cruisers. None of that changed much with the C-250. But watch what happens at Lake Minnetonka this year, where "we" have a real racing fleet of one-design, fractionally rigged, <i>racer</i>-cruisers!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/21/2011 10:35:48
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2011 :  11:45:48  Show Profile
Jim Baumgart was already in the process of selling Indiscipline before the 2010 nationals were held and his change to another boat was most definitely a result of his desire to be more competitive in racing venues. I know Jim felt his good nature was taking advantage of based on the challenges placed in the 2010 Nationals. I believe they were valid challenges but, given one of them was based on knowledge gathered when Jim offered the challenger a complimentary sail on his boat months before, cold-hearted. I would have informed Jim ahead of time of his need to shorten his spinnaker pole if I was going to place a challenge. I am not a racer but I think good manners trump just about anything. The challenge for Jim not piloting the boat was perfectly viable and Jim should have known better.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2011 :  05:23:11  Show Profile
Fascinating stuff... I love scuttlebutt - which by the way IS a nautical term...

1. Slang Gossip.
2. Nautical
a. A drinking fountain on a ship.
b. A cask on a ship used to hold the day's supply of drinking water.

Dave is right, the C25 is not a racing boat by almost any standard. Fin Keel performance was good, but she is a cruiser. It's like trying to race a Cabo Rico or a Pink Island Packet! Jim's loyalty to his C25 was only surpassed by his real need for a faster sled.

But back to that um, race thingy we were talking about. Shortened spinnaker poles? Huh??? Conspiracy theories? goodness gravy - did you all run out of beer, or did the strippers not show up?

Hey anyone wanna race Winnebagos around the block?

sten
DPO Zephyr - C25 SR FK #3220
SV Lysistrata - C&C 39 - St. Pete

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2011 :  05:28:34  Show Profile
<br />Hello all. I am traveling to the San Diego Bay area on Wed., 3/30 through Sat. 4/2. I am traveling with a sailing friend of mine and we would love to go out sailing with one of you locals while we are there. Our times are very flexible, as are our payment terms, (dinner, lunch, boat drinks, etc.). We are both inland sea sailors (The Great Salt Lake) and we would like to se what it is like to sail in water with a <u>low</u> salt content.

Back to the thread - anyone wanna give this salty lake sailor a ride?

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2011 :  06:34:12  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> kinda missing the point... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I guess you're just not a racer.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Hey anyone wanna race Winnebagos around the block? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

EXACTLY. It doesn't matter <i>what</i> you're racing, it matters <i>that</i> you're racing. I can be just as ate up with it on my bicycle as Carl Edwards is in his Ford cup car. And these guys at the Nationals are b**lls to the walls serious and out to win.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2011 :  07:33:09  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DaveR</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> kinda missing the point... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I guess you're just not a racer.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Hey anyone wanna race Winnebagos around the block? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

EXACTLY. It doesn't matter <i>what</i> you're racing, it matters <i>that</i> you're racing. I can be just as ate up with it on my bicycle as Carl Edwards is in his Ford cup car. And these guys at the Nationals are b**lls to the walls serious and out to win.

I am not a racer anymore, that is true. I have a few ashtrays leftover from my Frers 30 days in MDR... But I do like to go fast which is why we bought an old IOR racing yacht that can be singlehanded. I like to race whatever is out there when we are out, but this organized stuff starts to get tedious. Either that or I am maturing. The whole panties in a bunch thing starts just about every time someone loses and cries foul. I like the good ole boat regatta philosophy. You get extra points for every anchor you carry, more points if your dink is on deck, even more if you are forced to tow, and a lot of points for having your water tanks topped off. Now that is racing!

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2011 :  08:06:20  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey anyone wanna race Winnebagos around the block?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Winnebagos should only race on figure eight tracks without a bridge in the middle. Fully evolved racing, like the America's Cup is approaching, shouldn't require actual boats, just designs and lawyers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2011 :  09:06:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ryan L</i>
<br />You know, in my humble opinion, the cat 25 is so far removed from being a race boat that anyone who takes nationals as anything more than just a fun event with some friends may be kinda missing the point...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Chuck Shaw and Derek Crawford and others, myself included, have proven the race worthiness of the C25, which is designed as a racer-cruiser, by comparison with other boats that are designed primarily to race. When well prepped for racing, and when well sailed, the C25 is capable of embarrassing many supposedly faster boats. The boat has that ability because, for it's era, it had a good basic design. The boat is not at it's best on 15-30 mile long race courses. It is most competitive on shorter races around the buoys.

If I had thought my C25 wasn't suitable for exciting and competitive racing, I would have missed out on 23 years of fun.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2011 :  18:44:22  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br />Back to the thread - anyone wanna give this salty lake sailor a ride?
sten<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mrapkins
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2011 :  04:54:10  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sloop Smitten</i>
<br />Jim Baumgart was already in the process of selling Indiscipline before the 2010 nationals were held and his change to another boat was most definitely a result of his desire to be more competitive in racing venues. I know Jim felt his good nature was taking advantage of based on the challenges placed in the 2010 Nationals. I believe they were valid challenges but, given one of them was based on knowledge gathered when Jim offered the challenger a complimentary sail on his boat months before, cold-hearted. I would have informed Jim ahead of time of his need to shorten his spinnaker pole if I was going to place a challenge. I am not a racer but I think good manners trump just about anything. The challenge for Jim not piloting the boat was perfectly viable and Jim should have known better.

At the risk of opening a massive can of worms, what happened at the nationals????

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2011 :  06:41:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br />Back to the thread - anyone wanna give this salty lake sailor a ride?
sten<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Try to keep up Dave!

Salt Lake Sailor going to San Diego, looking for a ride, before the thread got hijacked about some race thingy that Jim organized...

"Hello all. I am traveling to the San Diego Bay area on Wed., 3/30 through Sat. 4/2. I am traveling with a sailing friend of mine and we would love to go out sailing with one of you locals while we are there. Our times are very flexible, as are our payment terms, (dinner, lunch, boat drinks, etc.). We are both inland sea sailors (The Great Salt Lake) and we would like to se what it is like to sail in water with a low salt content.

Paul, Great Salt Lake Marina"

I'm in Floooreda and would be willing to take Paul for a ride if he was coming out here!

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2011 :  06:45:34  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrapkins</i>
[At the risk of opening a massive can of worms, what happened at the nationals????

A stripper pole was too short, and Jim drank all of the beer...

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2011 :  08:01:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br />Back to the thread - anyone wanna give this salty lake sailor a ride?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Try to keep up Dave!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I wasn't clear... I was just "bumping" the thread again, having shamelessly participated in the hyjack. Our SD guys have gone into hiding... (BTW, Jim B. is no longer one of them--he's training his racing crew.)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/23/2011 08:02:29
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2011 :  05:58:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
[/i]
<br />Back to the thread - anyone wanna give this salty lake sailor a ride? <b>Our SD guys have gone into hiding... </b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Porque? Why? Did I miss the panties in a bunch thread? How many C25's in SD??? You is all missing out. As my wife and I traveled about, we made more than a few wonderful acquaintances from the list here. We even got a shower out of it once while doing the upper ICW!!! Renzo picked up a tab and saw our stripper pole. (Yes, permanently installed!)

c'mon kids - whatever happened at the Nationals has no place on this thread. Start a new one and tell us about the good stuff we missed, like who passed out first and woke up with panties around their head and their boat littered with bottles and various accoutrements from the night before.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2011 :  07:07:09  Show Profile
<br />...c'mon kids - whatever happened at the Nationals has no place on this thread. Start a new one and tell us about the good stuff we missed...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I'd leave the SD Nationals out of this... We have a nice fleet in Mission Bay--mostly on L-dock, I believe. Somebody will will speak up and take Paul for a joy-ride...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2011 :  15:01:11  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
Most of the boats of the L Dock Armada are on the water right now heading north for a three to four day trip...

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
[/i]
<br />Back to the thread - anyone wanna give this salty lake sailor a ride? <b>Our SD guys have gone into hiding... </b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Porque? Why? Did I miss the panties in a bunch thread? How many C25's in SD??? You is all missing out. As my wife and I traveled about, we made more than a few wonderful acquaintances from the list here. We even got a shower out of it once while doing the upper ICW!!! Renzo picked up a tab and saw our stripper pole. (Yes, permanently installed!)

c'mon kids - whatever happened at the Nationals has no place on this thread. Start a new one and tell us about the good stuff we missed, like who passed out first and woke up with panties around their head and their boat littered with bottles and various accoutrements from the night before.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mmac
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2011 :  08:54:54  Show Profile
Jim still turns up on the Admiralty Forum from time to time.

Paul,
The 30th is the only open day I have during that time period. Maybe we can work out a couple of hours on the high seas. Whale watching season is pretty much over, but we could luck out.

As Ryan mentioned there are a couple other guys on L dock who are out on a voyage and could be available. Also Henke and Joanna Zeil with their C-250 <i>Someday Lady </i> are in Mission Bay for a few weeks. They are on D Dock.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2011 :  11:31:58  Show Profile

At the risk of attracting the wrath of the "local boys", since we are just mere visitors here in Mission Bay, we would invite, weather permitting, to set sail with you on our C250WB... coffee is ready anytime!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page