Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Mayfly time again
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/19/2011 :  13:37:37  Show Profile
Spent friday night and saturday aboard cleaning and messing about and inaugurating the mayfly season. Not too bad yet, but we're not quite as excited about the three day weekend aboard next week. Mayflies are an indicator species, so I guess it's nice to know that the lake is so healthy. "The City of Port Clinton has gained approval from the Environmental Protection Agency, and a grant from the Ohio Lake Erie Commission, for the very first mayfly composting site in America! Now isn't that quite a claim to fame for the city that's already The Walleye Capital of the World!!". http://www.mayflynews.net/

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - on

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  08:24:38  Show Profile
Why are they called Mayflies when they appear in June?...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  09:31:45  Show Profile
Down south they appear in May... How's those spiders? Grlfrnd got bit pretty bad. Peppermint Oil still smellin up the place? Looking again for a nontoxic option.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  09:34:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Derek Crawford</i>
<br />Why are they called Mayflies when they appear in June?...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...and if peanut oil is made from peanuts, and corn oil is made from corn, what is baby oil made from?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  09:48:24  Show Profile
That's funny Dave... Lookin at Peppermint and Rosemary Oil. The Brown Recluse pictures have me freaked. My nose is shot also.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  10:46:57  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redeye</i>
<br />. . . Down south they appear in May . . . <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">that's cuz the suthr'n ones can read a calendar. . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  10:57:09  Show Profile
Naw.. cause the southernerrrs only name their bugs... by the month, to keep time....

( recon it's May... )

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  11:00:38  Show Profile
"Down south they appear in May... "

Ray - San Antonio is pretty far South

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  11:15:40  Show Profile
Yes.. I was a bit puzzled with that, and the baby thing! But then East is East and .... I figured it was a west thing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  13:56:19  Show Profile
The May Flies that come in June are called May Flies to distinguih them from the June Bugs that come in April and August. Up here in Lake St. Clair we just call 'em Fish Flies and that name is usually proceeded by *#%@**@#. Baby oil is made from the same stuff as Canola oil, Motor oil, Hair oil, Salad oil and Oil of Olay. But as a true sailor-man I prefer Olive oil.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2011 :  17:54:08  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Looking again for a nontoxic option.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Starbrite Spider Away

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page