Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 OT - Beautiful Texas Summer Day II
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/02/2011 :  14:28:57  Show Profile
F&%! Me!! Went out to run some errands....took this picture in the driveway before I pulled into the garage:

And it's set to get even better the next few days:

At least it's maybe gonna cool down to 103 next week.....

Scott

When we left, we had just enough fuel to make it to San Juan. And now... we are out of fuel!

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  17:41:57  Show Profile
Yep, 111 here today. I am pulling my boat soon... I give up!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  17:51:02  Show Profile
C'mon guys, another 29 days before mother nature throws the switch - at least here in the Ohio Valley . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  17:52:32  Show Profile
It got up to 82 here until the sea breeze filled in around noon (as usual)... Then it settled back down.

But just to keep things interesting, Emily is looking this way...

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/02/2011 17:53:32
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2011 :  06:52:27  Show Profile
Today is set to be even worse....it's 88 at 8:45 am....not a good way to start the day.

October may be the only thing to help us....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2011 :  08:28:53  Show Profile
"ERCOT set a new electricity demand record on Tuesday, Aug. 2 with 67,929 megawatts (MW) between 4 and 5 p.m. and expects to break the record again today"

110 for the high again today. I have a race tonight. Going to have to stay hydrated.

Edited by - PCP777 on 08/03/2011 08:30:13
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2011 :  08:38:19  Show Profile
<< Going to have to stay hydrated. >>

Iced!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2011 :  09:50:12  Show Profile
Peter, you can stay "hydrated"....

I'm gonna stay "inside".....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2011 :  05:40:20  Show Profile
I haven't been down to my boat in a month. I refuse to burn up just so I can say I went sailing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skybird
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2011 :  22:17:26  Show Profile  Visit skybird's Homepage
our lake is going down about a foot per week, I have given up getting launched til we get some rain. Old hands say that a C25 on a trailer like mine can be launched with the lake up to 11 ft low--only 2 feet (weeks) left til that mark--and its too hot to finish polishing the hull anyway!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2011 :  04:39:41  Show Profile
I don't know about yesterday, but it got up to 101 in Nashville Wed. and friends with us this weekend said it was 105 in Birmingham yesterday. We've been in the east TN mountains all week where the temps are not bad. The nights have been pleasant with temps in the low to mid 70's. We've slept with the windows open most nights and haven't had to turn on the A/C until around 11 AM.

http://www.monteaglesundayschoolassembly.org/

It's a wonderful place, but I'm starting to get boat fever!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2011 :  05:16:32  Show Profile
I'm helping with the Hot To Trot race Sunday. I've got to cook burgers outside. Fortunately it will be a little cooler, might even rain. They run for 8 hours. Makes sitting on the boat look like a cakewalk.

http://www.getguts.com/e-htt.shtml

The long distance runners love this race, as it gives them heat training with support every mile at a time of year when there are few races.

All I'm gonna be able to think is: "I'd rather be Sailing!"

Edited by - redeye on 08/05/2011 05:21:39
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2011 :  10:01:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skybird</i>
<br />our lake is going down about a foot per week, I have given up getting launched til we get some rain. Old hands say that a C25 on a trailer like mine can be launched with the lake up to 11 ft low--only 2 feet (weeks) left til that mark--and its too hot to finish polishing the hull anyway!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Who was the forum member from Arlington Texas? His lake has been in the news. I'm pretty sure he can't launch anymore.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/126734113.html

My lake is auto leveled as there is a power plant on it.

Lewisville, Grapevine, <b>Ray Hubbard</b>, Joe Pool and Lake Worth are all between 2 and 3 feet below their normal conservation pool levels.

Lake Arlington is<b> 8 feet</b> below normal, as is Benbrook Lake. Bodies of water to the west and south are worse off; Bridgeport is 10 feet low, and Whitney is 14 feet low.

As far as the race on Wednesday, a nice breeze picked up and it wasn't bad, even though the SOB on committee had us run the course twice for B Fleet requiring to spin sets. We did very well, placed second.

I'm going out tonight for sure....to check out MY NEW MAIN SAIL!

I'll wait to just before sunset to bend it on.

Edited by - PCP777 on 08/05/2011 10:06:18
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2011 :  10:29:14  Show Profile
Which mainsail and options did you end up choosing?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:03:20  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />Which mainsail and options did you end up choosing?

Loose footed, two full battens on the bottom, one set of reef points, back to the standard C-25 logo with hull number.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:25:27  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PCP777</i>
<br /> Loose footed, two full battens on the bottom, one set of reef points, back to the standard C-25 logo with hull number.

Interesting . . . Ullman offered me the 2 & 2 option but made the top pockets full.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2011 :  19:28:11  Show Profile
Peter...pictures? You can even include the new main if you want

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2011 :  08:31:03  Show Profile
Canyon Lake is 6' low and we are getting a multitude of stinkpotters from Lake Travis in Austin which is 40' down. I don't even know whether the sailors there can launch.
Temps this week were all over 100 and the same is forecast for next week. We are in an exceptional drought and there's no rain in sight...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2011 :  08:32:35  Show Profile
We're actually on track to beat the 1980 record of 42 days straight over 100.....that record has always been thought to be "unbeatable"....but looks like, next Saturday, we're gonna do it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2011 :  10:47:17  Show Profile
So you Texans are praying for a hurricane? We Atlantic coasters will try to let you have them...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2011 :  13:03:48  Show Profile
Back in 1980, the only thing to move this giant high off of us was Hurricane Allen. It's about the only thing powerful enough to move it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2011 :  14:56:09  Show Profile
Wish you guys a little weather luck, hope this breaks without a hurricane. It's hot in FL, but nowhere that bad.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2011 :  15:34:51  Show Profile
What we really need is a strong tropical system, preferably a strong tropical storm or weak cat1 hurricane to come ashore between Corpus and Galveston, spinning up north and drop 8-10" of soaking rains on us.

Edited by - Joe Diver on 08/06/2011 15:35:37
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2011 :  13:31:03  Show Profile
Just got back from pulling my boat, the yacht club was deserted and the boat yard almost full. What a lame summer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2011 :  17:07:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Derek Crawford</i>
<br />Canyon Lake is 6' low and we are getting a multitude of stinkpotters from Lake Travis in Austin which is 40' down. I don't even know whether the sailors there can launch.
Temps this week were all over 100 and the same is forecast for next week. We are in an exceptional drought and there's no rain in sight...

I was at Canyon and Lake Travis about 2 weeks ago. The day we were at Canyon it poured down raining just a couple of miles downstream from the dam for about 20 minutes. Just a few sprinkles at the dam.

Lake Travis has dropped just over 3 feet in the past 2 weeks and as of late this afternoon is down 42.2 feet from normal pool elevation.

Edited by - GaryB on 08/07/2011 17:17:21
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2011 :  18:47:16  Show Profile
Yeah, this summer has been a real bust for some of us. On the bright side, should have a really nice Fall coming up! Maybe it'll be a warm winter and I'll be sailing and weekending from October through April to make up for this....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page