Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 COLREGS question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/07/2011 :  18:50:55  Show Profile
I'm having trouble understanding a specific detail in the COLREGS...please advise which vessel (SV A, red or SV B, blue) below has the right of way in Example 1 and in Example 2.

Many thanks!!!!

Jerry

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2011 :  19:32:33  Show Profile
1. Both boats are on starboard tack, but B is to windward of A, and therefore gives way to A. (A is to maintain course and speed.)

2. Both are on port, A is to windward, so A gives way to B and B maintains course and speed.

Another way to think of it is that on the same tack, the boat that is closer-hauled is the stand-on vessel, and the one sailing off the wind gives way.

One other point: Nobody has "right of way" under the COLREGS, except when going down-stream on a western river like the Mississippi. One vessel has the <i>duty</i> to maintain course and the other the <i>duty</i> to deviate as necessary to avoid collision. If that doesn't work (somebody doesn't do what they're supposed to do), <i>both</i> must do whatever is necessary.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/07/2011 19:46:30
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2011 :  00:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
Dave- I like your answer a lot! Much respect for pointing out the duty to act when necessary...

The only caveat I might add for Jerry is that if he's gonna use the "close-hauled" method mentioned above he should be careful to make sure he doesn't don't only look at sail trim to determine who is more close hauled. Plenty of inexperienced sailors simply trim and heel no matter what point of sail. In other words Jerry, don't just look at sail trim to determine if someone is close hauled but consider the boats' relative heading to the wind. When two boats are on the same tack the one that's heading closer to the wind is usually the stand on vessel (same thing Jerry said but different way to look at it).

Hope that helps!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Downbucket
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
188 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2011 :  09:35:30  Show Profile
Jerry:

I have a set of Davis Instruments Pocket Quick Reference Cards that I find very useful.

http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=00138

Will

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2011 :  13:09:34  Show Profile
I would say the big [url="http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?Nid=86959&refre=y&ntid=20&rid=4"]orange guy[/url] has the right of way.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2011 :  13:53:19  Show Profile
If you mean the guy with the orange diagonal stripe, probably so. (Sorta like the unwritten rule of tonnage.)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page