Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 head sail bag
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Inspiration
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/03/2011 :  19:46:54  Show Profile
This is for those who still hank on the jib and use a sail bag. I would like to know how you keep the sail and bag out of the way while you deploy the anchor? It seems I wrestle with the bag during the whole anchoring process. I saw a catalina with a long narrow bag that they stored the headsail in a tied it to the lifelines not sure what you call a bag like that but it seemed to allow more room for deploying the anchor. I realize that a furler is the way to go but its not on the radar as of yet.

Thanks
Ted

Edited by - on

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2011 :  09:52:25  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Of course one way to deal with this is to unhank the sail. I don't anchor that often but can't remember having a huge problem, seems like I put the hanging sail in bag off my left hip while leaning on the bow rail with my right hip while grabbing and feeding the anchor through the roller.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> a furler is the way to go <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

While many think that's true I'm not entirely convinced!

Edited by - DaveR on 10/04/2011 09:53:25
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2011 :  10:30:43  Show Profile
Any reason you can't disconnect the jib tack and just pull the bag further up on the forestay?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2011 :  11:50:03  Show Profile
What Joe said. I keep a clothespin on the forestay to keep the first hank from jamming on the bottom of the forestay when hoisting the jib, so I think I will start pushing the jib up & out of the way and keeping it up with the clothespin.

But I frequently drop the anchor while the sail is on the foredeck. In that situation, with the jib hanked on to the forestay and with the sheets rigged through the blocks on the genoa track, I push most of the jib out over the pulpit on the starboard side and tie it to the pulpit with a sail tie to get it up off the deck and out of the way of the anchor locker hatch.

Since this method only works moderately well, I have also become very good at washing Chesapeake Bay mud off my jib using dish soap and a scrub brush!

Edited by - JohnP on 10/04/2011 11:50:50
Go to Top of Page

two port feet
1st Mate

Members Avatar

77 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2011 :  17:12:16  Show Profile
You guys need to get a little more creative like making the sail bag in the shape of a mermaid

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page