Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Spotless Stainless
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimGo
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/12/2011 :  14:04:21  Show Profile
Has anyone tried Spotless Stainless (http://www.spotlessstainless.com/) for keeping their stainles steel clean?

- Jim
Formerly of 1984 C25 named Dragon Wing

NOTE: In my case, PLEASE don't confuse stars/number of posts with actual knowledge. On any topic.

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2011 :  17:32:33  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Wow, reading it sound great.
Did some web searches, found both sides of the argument. But was most impressed by the one where the guy is going to buy more.

I'll take a look at practical sailors review.

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2011 :  20:52:03  Show Profile
Paul,
I just did some reading too (novel concept, thanks for the idea!) and almost all the reviews from people who actually tried the stuff are positive. I might just have to give it a try.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2011 :  01:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Get cheaper Oxalic acid, its cheaper ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalic_acid

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2011 :  03:19:57  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Thomas, that was a subject often found in the research. I recall reading that Oxalic acid on stainless steel was effective but also the return of corrosion was hastened. Not a PS quote, still have to look up that article.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2011 :  13:43:33  Show Profile
Nice, I have to try that!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2011 :  14:58:07  Show Profile
I go to SailNet for most of my non-Catalina-specific information. They have had several discussions on Spotless Stainless over the last couple of years. Here's one that is currently active:

[url="http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/77222-spotless-stainless-question.html"]Spottless Stainless Questions[/url]

There are other threads as well - use their search function. It's interesting that there was a very long thread a couple years ago that has since disappeared. Comments were generally favorable, but not 100% positive. Since then, Spotless Stainless became a SailNet advertiser (purchasing banner ads). I wonder if that fact had anything to do with the disappearance of that thread.

FWIW, I do plan on buying that product as soon as I get around to it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2011 :  18:24:58  Show Profile
Rick,
Its funny, I checked Cruisersforum and sailboatowners, but not sailnet. Thanks for the link!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2011 :  19:27:22  Show Profile
If the ingredient is what those other forums list it as, you can try, and fail, with your own formulation from your grocers canning aisle. The free acid will be much different than the formulation they likely offer, what with chelators, buffers and surfactants to actually make the process work. The product they offer is much different than paying a buck for Barkeeper's Friend instead of $10 for fiberglass rust remover powder (different acid discussed, don't home-can with oxalic acid).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lynn
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2011 :  21:16:56  Show Profile
I use Bar Keepers Friend on stainless and a lot of other items, and it comes in powder or liquid. Also used it on black fenders (very dirty) given to me free. A friend cleaned her white fenders before selling her boat and swore by the product.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2011 :  11:03:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lynn</i>
<br />I use Bar Keepers Friend on stainless and . . .
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Excellent suggestion Lynn - just enough grit to clean but not scratch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2011 :  12:29:54  Show Profile
I use Barkeepers Friend a lot also. However, Spotless Stainless is a gel formulation that can penetrate threads and other hard to reach places, then sit there for a period of time (with misting, if you're in drying conditions) and rinse off. (One particularly good applications would be open turnbuckles.) So it potentially has other applications from Barkeepers Friend. That's why I plan to get it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2011 :  18:07:32  Show Profile
I wonder what Spotless Stainless does to wax when you rinse and the residual runs down the sides of th hull . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page