Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 lost motor...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eguevara
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
111 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/30/2012 :  07:48:54  Show Profile  Visit eguevara's Homepage
So I was sailing this past Saturday. All was well.. good wind...
We get to the marina on the other side of the lake to pick some folks up.
When we start to drop sails and look back to turn on the motor.
There is no motor. Its gone.
We have no clue when I fell off.

I guess no is a perfect time to replace the sliders on my bracket.

-eddy

1986 C25 SR FK #5152
http://knoteasy.tumblr.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eddyguevara/sets/72157626204345986/

Edited by - on

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  08:10:47  Show Profile
Wow, that must be a disheartening feeling.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

szymek
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
209 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  08:12:11  Show Profile
oh wow... I'm sorry to hear that.

But what happened? Did the motor come of the bracket or the bracket gave away?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  08:15:21  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Was that the 2 HP you lost? That seems a little light to me. You may want to move up to something between 6 and 9.9 hp.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  08:36:40  Show Profile
No rope on the motor to the bracket???

Stolen??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  08:52:34  Show Profile
I'm sorry, Eddy. This might just be the funniest post that's ever been made on this forum. Obviously, losing the motor isn't a laugh riot but the way your reported it had me laughing for 10 minutes. I can just see it. "Uh, did anybody see where the motor went? It was here just a minute ago."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  09:18:42  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Judging by the photos linked to your sig, looks like you had an older Suzuki 6-8 HP XLS attached? Do you think it was stolen? You'd think thieves would go for shiny new engines instead.

I can't imagine even getting out of my marina without my outboard. I suppose it could be done if the wind & currents were right but it'd require a better sailor than me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

szymek
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
209 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  10:20:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by delliottg</i>
<br /> Do you think it was stolen? You'd think thieves would go for shiny new engines instead.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I believe he's saying that the engine went missing while they were under sail.

As John said: it did make me chuckle a bit when i first saw the post. But i know it sucks. First is the expense of getting another motor and second is docking without the motor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  10:43:27  Show Profile
Yepper.. those would have to be some kinda sneaky thieves...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  10:48:19  Show Profile
Anyhoo, that was fun..... yep ya gotta crank down those screws and tie them off. Then add a line from the engine to the mount.

Even when we change out an engine we add a line from the engine to the dock.

Unless it was the mount coming apart.

I'm sorry you lost an engine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  10:54:11  Show Profile
Looks like yours was locked down... I have the same problem right now, I can't get the screws on a wood block on the mount tight enough to hold the engine on.

I'm gonna hafta drill out the spot that the bolt hits the block in order to get the engine to stay put.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  13:39:34  Show Profile
I believe most outboards have a hole in the motor mount bracket that would allow you to use a carriage bolt to through bolt the outboard to the mount preventing it from slipping off (and possible slowing down a thief).

It could have been worse though. Imagine saying, "Honey, can you fire up the outboard for me?...(no answer)....Uh, are you down below?...(again no answer)...Uh, oh!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  15:26:50  Show Profile
That is just too weird! Sorry for the loss, man. That's a tough one. Gonna be iteresting explaining that one to the insurance guy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Novi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
59 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  15:28:40  Show Profile
I'm thinking this post is a warning sign I should listen to. I decided that although my engine mount block is looking pretty sad - the plywood is swelling and starting to delaminate - I figured I'd push it one more season BUT NOW...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  15:30:09  Show Profile
Very strange indeed! So, you didn't notice any noise...the fuel line being torn free and spilling fuel....I'm curious, like others...did the mount fail? Or is it still intact and the motor gone?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  16:46:42  Show Profile
This is sad but really takes the cake... You sure the boat didn't fall off the motor? This beats the Depends picture...

Edited by - islander on 04/30/2012 16:48:37
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  18:00:50  Show Profile
Wow - sounds pretty unbelievable - except it almost happened to me. I was in the river on a very choppy day. A major superyacht drove past at top speed in the no- wake zone and rolled the boat side to side. The torque was enough to yank one of the two thumb screws off the motor mount and engine went sideways (horizontal - not vertical). Thank my lucky stars the other mounting screw held or else the engine would have been dangling down in the water at full speed at the end of it's rope zooming wildly in all directions. Since then, the engine is bolted thru and the kill switch lanyard is connected to the transom.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Novi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
59 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  18:07:49  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Since then, the engine is bolted thru and the kill switch lanyard is connected to the transom.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Both excellent ideas!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  18:50:21  Show Profile
Sorry about the motor Eddy and glad this did not place you or your family in any (apparent) jeopardy. Your sharing this story will cause readers to double-check the tension on their outboard mounting clamps this season.

Some day (if you haven't done so already) you will look back on this and get a laugh. Good luck with your search for a replacement. Any models in mind?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eguevara</i>
<br />. . . I guess no is a perfect time to replace the sliders . . .
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">or motor

Edited by - OJ on 04/30/2012 18:54:36
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  19:35:36  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Unbelievable ! Sorry to hear about your outboard...gone.
But this reminds me of that old Candid Camera episode
When the lady pulls up to the gas station island (car rolled in due
to to down slope approaching station) and asks gas
Attendant to fill it up and check the oil level. The
Opens the hood and there is no engine. He says " Hey Lady, you have no engine !" She indicates "Well I did when I pulled in here !
Funny episode I remembered for so many, many years.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

eguevara
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
111 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  19:37:04  Show Profile  Visit eguevara's Homepage
When I posted.. I meant for everyone to get a good laugh... and to entice some to check their outboards...
When I first bought the motor I owned a catalina 22... the Suzuki 6HP was too much power for the 22...
The motor was great on the 25... the handle on the 25 was bigger so lifting the motor was much easier... plus the extra springs helped too... I didn't like the gas mixing.. and I didn't like how heavy the motor was... but it was a good motor...
here recently it was stuck in the down position since the bracket sliders faiiled... I wonder if that was due to the weight of the motor...
Anyway... Saturday I turned the motor on... undid dock lines... and motored out of the marina into the lake.... I have a north facing slip.. and the wind was from the south...
Had a nice sail... all went well... good speed... got close to the other marina on the lake (about three miles away)...
started to drop sails.. when I hear my buddy say... "Eddy you have no motor" I said... "yes I d..........." the motor was gone....
It must have slid off starboard... had it slipped port it would have hit the rudder...
fuel line was draggin behind the boat...

I have lost valuable things before... I have had things stolen... I have felt the feeling in your stomach that makes you anxious...
I didn't feel that... all I worried about was getting into a slip by sailing in...
had I been a better sailor I would have gotten into a south facing slip... instead I went north facing and made it tougher for myself...
after some thinking and a failed attempt to sail out... a friend that works at the marina gaves us a tow out of the no wake zone...
We sailed back to my slip... and tied her up... this time motor less...
If all goes well... I'm picking up a 1999 Nissan 5hp outboard...

wish me luck...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  20:52:49  Show Profile
Glad you kept your sense of humor. That's the kind of thing that would happen to me, so thanks for the warning! Hopefully I'll remember it...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2012 :  06:10:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Novi</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Since then, the engine is bolted thru and the kill switch lanyard is connected to the transom.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Both excellent ideas!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...except that the kill switch is supposed to be for when <i>you</i> fall off. (...or that's the theory.)

Eddy--did you have the two clamp handles hooked together with anything (like a lock)? If not, vibration will tend to loosen them.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/01/2012 06:16:13
Go to Top of Page

eguevara
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
111 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2012 :  07:49:48  Show Profile  Visit eguevara's Homepage
I didn't dave... I will next time...
The 5hp Nissan sold before I got there...
So the hunt continues...

-eddy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2012 :  08:22:56  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
If you were closer I could loan you a spare engine. Sorry about your luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page