Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 lp tank
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

djbano
1st Mate

Member Avatar

67 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/03/2012 :  15:31:36  Show Profile  Visit djbano's Homepage
Will an lp tank that is 12" tall fit in the storage box? I'm hoping someone knows so that I have fuel for this weekend. They won't f""ill the tank that came with my 98 rust is 11". I don't recall much clearance. Thanx.

CYANA
Denver
'98 250 WK TR #372

Edited by - on

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2012 :  15:47:56  Show Profile
I havae a 98 and the lid for the lp box is a tight fit

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2012 :  16:12:08  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
DJ, this probably won't help for this weekend, but I refurbished a 1 gallon tank I bought on CL a while back. It had a fair amount of surface rust especially around the base (which isn't pressure holding), so I went after it with a wire wheel on my Dremel & drill and cleaned all the rust off back down to steel. Then primed it and sprayed the whole thing as close to the original white as I could find. I was careful to preserve the decals. I've never had any questions from refilling stations about it yet.

Do you have an adapter to go from a disposable 1 lb propane canister to your propane line? A couple of those would get you through the weekend probably.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djbano
1st Mate

Members Avatar

67 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2012 :  19:19:22  Show Profile  Visit djbano's Homepage
Zebra, do you still use your original tank and how did you find someone to fill it? The tank is 11" tall and the only one I could find is 12" same circumference.

More members on this forum must have dealt with this issue. How about it?

DJ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2270 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2012 :  21:36:39  Show Profile
My 1998 vintage tank is about half full. It was that way when I bought the boat 2 years ago. I have only used it once to test it, so half a tank will probably last a long time.

I have checked into refilling it so I would know what to expect when the time comes. In the US it is illegal to fill it, because this vintage tank lacks an OPD valve. In most cases it is cheaper to buy a new tank, but since ours has unusual dimensions it is probably best to take it to a recertification center, where they will install the OPD valve, pressure test it, and put a new certification stamp on it. I have not actually done this, but this is what my research told me I will have to do when the time comes. I'm not going to do this until my current tank runs out.

If you aren't a large consumer of LP gas, a more economical option would be to buy an adapter for the green Coleman disposable canisters. You can get the adapter for about $20 at Wal-Mart, and the canisters are under $3. You can probably fit a couple of the canisters in the LP locker. Do not ever store them in your cabin. Also, be sure to let it sit for 30 minutes after use before disconnecting, because the valves are notorious for icing up and then leaking gas.

Edited by - TakeFive on 05/03/2012 21:38:46
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2012 :  23:03:39  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I think I misunderstood the original problem, but the 1 lb canister adapter should work. I've used mine to save dinner when grilling in the backyard and ran out of gas from the main tank.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2012 :  19:46:15  Show Profile
We replaced our tank and the top did not fit. Turns out that Seaward Products sells a new lid that fits. Part # 80233 "Lid for 143 Complete W/ Gasket" which was, in 2008, $45 plus $9.41 shipping. Fits wonderfully. Basically the indent is deeper to accommodate the taller tank, also made by Seaward Products. Here are some links. We were able to buy just the tank and a new lid, did not need to buy a whole new locker.

[url="http://www.seawardproducts.com/gcylinders.htm"]Seaward Tank[/url]

[url="http://www.seawardproducts.com/glockers.htm"]Seaward Locker[/url]

Edited by - Nautiduck on 05/04/2012 19:54:42
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2012 :  20:04:01  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
The little steel tank is the same one I refurbished a while back.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2012 :  06:12:47  Show Profile
Interesting topic. I've owned my '98 for 6 years and never used the stove. How do you know how much propane is in the tank?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2012 :  07:21:51  Show Profile
I've read that if you pour very hot water on the side of the tank it will form a frost line at the level of the gas.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djbano
1st Mate

Members Avatar

67 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2012 :  13:49:01  Show Profile  Visit djbano's Homepage
Randy Catalina sells the retrofit lid for $59. If the height of the lid is the same as original but merely with more foam cutout I may have a go with an exacto before popping for a new one. CD doesn't have the dimensions. Could you measure the height of your newer locker lid? Thanks.

DJ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2012 :  20:38:59  Show Profile
Do you want the depth of the cutout? If I recall mine is molded plastic, not foam.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djbano
1st Mate

Members Avatar

67 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2012 :  21:16:08  Show Profile  Visit djbano's Homepage
The height/depth of the lid itself.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

booyacht
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2012 :  13:54:15  Show Profile
Odd, mine isn't LP, it's CNG and I don't see a convenient way of disconnecting. I'm also to the point of needing a fill. The small disposable bottles of propane sure sound convenient.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2012 :  17:28:51  Show Profile
Here are the dimensions of the new lid and a couple of photos. The lid is 13 1/4" X 13 1/4". It is 2 1/4" thick with 1/4" of that forming a lip the seats it on the locker. The keystone-shaped indentation to accommodate the LP tank is 1 7/8" deep.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page