Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 I am not missing my lifelines
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jefffriday
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/23/2012 :  16:09:53  Show Profile
Gone, Nada, Vapor, it all started with a suspected bedding issue.... Much easier to get around, and I am not off shore... flush retracting cleats to cover the wholes in the nonskid, patched the gelcoat in the outer holes. Not for everybody, but it works great for me.

infinity
89 wk/sr #5860
Basalt CO.

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2012 :  16:30:32  Show Profile
Racing C-22s never install them. I agree it is definitely an OPTION. Now that I have small grandkids it is not an option. Your boat looks great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2012 :  19:40:53  Show Profile
Had removed ours for rebedding and was tempted not to reinstall them - but . . .

Clean boat! I see you have a second set of travler tracks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2012 :  20:52:55  Show Profile
Why does that look so good and feel so wrong?

Man, the deck is narrow enough,I can't imagine trying to go forward without lifelines as a guide and something to hold onto. I prefer big offshore swells to lake chop. Even sections of the ICW like Pamlico sound can become a butt clencher because of the unpredictability of the waves. And that's on a 40 footer!

I would hope that all lines run aft and that you don't need to leave the cockpit. The freeboard on a C25 is pretty high. I would not want to try and pull myself up, although scared people do amazing things...

But it does look cool, Jekyll - Hyde

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2012 :  21:43:07  Show Profile
I've looked at a few big boat-show boats that omitted lifelines and stanchions... They look clean, sharp, dramatic... Great for sailing in a swimming pool--not in <i>real water</i>.

Do your passengers know how to sail back and stop to pick you up (called an MOB drill)? Can your boat do it by itself? If either answer is "No", don't remove components that help keep you and others aboard. "Off-shore" is an irrelevant concept--people drown in swimming pools.

Curmudgeon out.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/23/2012 21:50:33
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  05:54:11  Show Profile

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  06:22:58  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br />
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah, but if you have enough money to buy a Morris, you probably can afford a Chase Boat.

Sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  06:27:55  Show Profile
I consider the lifelines on my boat.....and I try to think what use they really are.

If I were to fall overboard, and managed to grab a line on the way....would it support my 250#'s of mass as it goes over the side? Or, would I just pull it out and bend the stanchions, possibly tearing them from the deck?

When going forward, they only come to just below my knee.

I don't use a harness or clip on to them. I don't have any jack lines running up front.

I do tie the heads'l to them before I flake it and stow it.

On my boat, the lifelines seem to be a decoration really.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  06:48:54  Show Profile
Same here. I only use them to grab the boat while docking. They're useless for anything else.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  07:37:03  Show Profile
I have hank-on headsails, and I like the feeling against my calf when moving forward to keep me in contact with the boat with 2 hands and 1 leg. If a big wave washed the deck in some heavy chop in the Chesapeake Bay, I would like to have as many things to grab as possible. I'd see the wave coming, sit down on the foredeck, and hold on! Just like reefing the main and reducing the foresail, having lifelines can make a dangerous situation into just another nice day of sailing, in my opinion.

One thunderstorm and its 75 mph downburst taught me a lot one day out there.

Edited by - JohnP on 05/24/2012 07:38:38
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  07:43:35  Show Profile
I am sure everyone does the same but for the sake of adding value... when using lifelines going forward the trick is to pull up on them. Pulling up on them "pushes" your feet to the deck and plants your steps. It amazes me when I see people bent over pushing down on the life line; and of course the handholds on the cabin top are way more important on those skinny side decks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  07:58:30  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br />Yeah, but if you have enough money to buy a Morris, you probably can afford a Chase Boat.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> That's one of them--no pulpits or anything. Nice "clean" look, but to me, it'd feel a little like taking the doors off my car. (Don: Got a pic of a CJ with the doors off? )

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  08:39:38  Show Profile
I like the clean dramatic look of no life lines too. To me, it looks classic because it's reminiscent of high gunwales.

But like JohnP, I like feeling the life line against my leg as I go forward. I sometimes push my calf into it for lateral stability.

Frank, thanks for the tip about pulling up on the life lines!

How do you like these? http://www.workingsail.co.uk/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  08:40:37  Show Profile
I forgot to add that they are very helpful to my children, who are 11, 9, 7, 4, and 1.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sethp001</i>
<br />I like the clean dramatic look of no life lines too. To me, it looks classic because it's reminiscent of high gunwales.

But like JohnP, I like feeling the life line against my leg as I go forward. I sometimes push my calf into it for lateral stability.

Frank, thanks for the tip about pulling up on the life lines!

How do you like these? http://www.workingsail.co.uk/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  08:56:18  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> They're useless for anything else <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's just SO wrong. Like Sten said, even on the icw the chop is enough that you need a stabilizer if you're on the foredeck. Try navigating the foredeck with a good heel when it's all wet without something for stability. I remember in the 60's (6 years old) on the great lakes I'd see boats with life lines and thought these folks were upper class cause their boat had them. I like the look, I like the safety factor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  08:59:22  Show Profile
When you're working a wet, steeply sloping, foredeck, it helps alot to be able to wedge a foot against a lifeline stanchion. Those little, low, wet, slippery toe rails don't offer much security. Lifelines also give you something that you can grab for if the boat lurches and you start sliding off the side. Lifelines aren't perfect, infallible safety devices, but it is indisputable that they help you avoid being separated from the boat. When offshore, a harness and jacklines are indispensable. When on a lake or bay, where a harness and tether can impede your work on the foredeck, lifelines are a help. They have kept me on the boat more than once.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  11:54:33  Show Profile
I'm thinking about moving my lifelines to the top of the pulpit, and installing netting along the length of the boat, back to the cockpit. I like the look of the netting.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  13:13:23  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Diver</i>
<br />I'm thinking about moving my lifelines to the top of the pulpit, and installing netting along the length of the boat, back to the cockpit.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That's a good idea for little kids, as long as nobody gets <i>too</i> confident about the netting. It's hard to make it so a kid can't slide under the net.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/24/2012 13:14:37
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  15:12:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Diver</i>
<br />I'm thinking about <b>moving my lifelines to the top of the pulpit</b>, and installing netting along the length of the boat, back to the cockpit. I like the look of the netting.

I would think that would mess with your head sail. Newly installed netting looks kind of cool, but it rags out quickly, and what will you really save with it?

I like my life lines. It gives my five year old something to help guide him when he's walking on the deck. My buddy with the C-27 wanted to remove his life lines, and talked him out of it. You never know when someone with kids might show up for a sail. I also really like to lean back on the rear foam covered life lines in the cockpit.

Jeffriday, your boat looks sharp, that's just not for me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  18:37:19  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Diver</i>
<br />I'm thinking about moving my lifelines to the top of the pulpit, and installing netting along the length of the boat, back to the cockpit.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That's a good idea for little kids, as long as nobody gets <i>too</i> confident about the netting. It's hard to make it so a kid can't slide under the net.

Dave is right, it would be very difficult on a C-25, my Merit had an aluminum toe rail so net was easy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2012 :  19:20:31  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I would think that would mess with your head sail. Newly installed netting looks kind of cool, but it rags out quickly, and what will you really save with it?

I use a jib pendent on my headsail. The tack is right at the top of the pulpit so I can see under it.

I don't plan to save anything with it....purely a vanity upgrade. I like the looks. So, just a decoration.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2012 :  06:17:06  Show Profile
FWIW...I'm w/ Dave...
I believe it falls under the theory of "Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them"

Edited by - jerlim on 05/25/2012 06:18:39
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2012 :  08:23:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefffriday</i>
<br />Gone, Nada, Vapor, it all started with a suspected bedding issue....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You should get rid of the bow pulpit. Then she will look really clean. I'll admit, I want to see the pics. Aesthically, The clean look really accents the lines.

New rich guy invention. Retractable lifelines. BTW - Morris does have an option for removable stanchions and lifelines.

But, uh somehow after reading this on the Morris website about their New Morris M series 36, I have formed a new opinion.

http://www.morrisyachts.com/specification/m36/

Anchoring and Mooring

(1) Bruce 22 lb anchor located in the forepeak storage locker.
(1) Anchor rode: 100 ' Yale Brait nylon rope, 1/2" diameter with six feet of 5/16" chain.

My zodiac dinghy has more chain! 6 feet of chain for a 36 footer! Remind me to never sail one without checking the gear. But my point is, apparently Morris and their customers are more interested is style over substance. But I still think it looks sexy.

Take off the pulpit just so we can drool. Why do I feel like a cheerleader at the school of bad ideas? LOL!

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2012 :  05:13:35  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
Although I really loved the look of no lifelines and for a while I was considering if I would do it myself when I first got the boat, this last friday reminded me of their importance.

While I was walking back and forth with my boat on the trailer to lower the mast, inspect the masthead and reinstall my tangled halyards I slipped on the coaming and my hand instinctively when for them!! I grabbed the lifelines without hesitation! And that prevented me from the 9 feet fall to the ground.

I guess they are called LIFE lines for a reason...

What I am thinking about is replacing them with Dyneema, I sailed a catamaran in Hawaii that had Dyneema lifelines, they look fast. =D

Cheers

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2012 :  05:26:28  Show Profile
Yepper.. I HATE walking around on the boat in dry dock. Talk about one hand for yourself...

And for me the lesson is ... It should always be one hand for yourself .. which means you should always be holding on with one hand at all times. Especially true for your guests onboard.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2012 :  07:30:31  Show Profile
I replaced mine with gray Amsteel. Only needed two snap shackles. The rest was attached with two eyesplices and two stopper knots at the gate. Simple, light, and cheap.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page