Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Coleman 28 quart Cooler on Wheels
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/25/2012 :  05:21:22  Show Profile
On my boat, fits where the stove usta be. Just right. I had to glue ( JB Weld ) in the little side screws in the handle. The first one I bought a screw came out and the whole handle assembly came apart before I could repair.

http://coleman.com/product/28-quart-wheeled-cooler-blue/2000006636?contextCategory=8560#.T-hWCRd5GSo

Mine came from Sports Authority and cost me $28. I think they may be aware the handle is a bit weak in design. gotta be careful not to break it. But anyhoo.. works better than carrying the cooler, and it fits.

I like the tall, deep design.. keeps the wine cold. Vinho Verde is all the rage this summer with our friends.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 06/25/2012 05:22:13

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  13:46:20  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
I have one of just like it, but I paid under $20.00 at Walmart. I it´s the perfect size for when I go to the boat by myself. 1 Sub, 2 Gatorades and 3 waters.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5235 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  16:00:00  Show Profile
I get the cooler, and its a great idea.
So how do you manage your ice? Do you just place it in the cooler, and just let everything get wet once the ice melts? or do you put the ice into a container?
I have an Igloo 3.5 day cooler and got a tupperware container that fits snugly right in the top to handle the ice. I put a few stick-on spacers inside to hold the ice container in place above the contents. Cool air sinks and cools the contents. Works great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  16:07:00  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
I got one of the wheel coolers too. But the wheels left black marks all over my boat.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  18:53:01  Show Profile
I have a small stryofoam cube that fits in the "bait box" in which i keep ice for drinks. Then i load the bait box with food stuffs that need to stay cool and dry. The coleman cooler is for drinks, wine, milk. We have been boarded by pirates that drink the boat dry....except for the hidden rum.. but I digress...

It has worked pretty good... the new cooler is deep and seems less likely to spill.

It's no mothership but has it's place...the project is pretty funny..I've removed my spare tire from the trunk of my civic... added blankets and this cooler and it is working well for both the car and the boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2012 :  07:13:05  Show Profile
This is a great set up. I am on my second one, bought a new one at Walmart for about $26 three weeks ago. The bungees hold it in fine and allows me to pull it out and drain it. I use it as the "mothership cooler", where I keep water and the surplus beer. usually we use another soft cooler for food. I typically throw in 20 to 40 pounds of ice, and that will last me all weekend as long as everyone tamps down the top.

Now, for the cockpit, you have to have the playmate by igloo.

It fits perfectly under the tiller and since it's a roll top it doesn't interfere with the helm. So I come out to the boat with the play mate, throw about 16 beers in there, top it with ice, throw the rest of the beer and ice in the big cooler. That way I don't have to get a "beer wench" whenever someone in the cockpit needs a beer. Plus, if the party moves to another boat, I can simply restock the play mate and take it with me.

Edited by - PCP777 on 06/26/2012 07:13:34
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2012 :  08:08:07  Show Profile
I have three cooler sizes, small, medium, and large. Since I'm usually out alone, I mostly just take my small 12 quart Igloo Ice Cube cooler that will fit all I need for a day and simply place it on the floor in front of the stove. Being small, it is easy to carry and manage.

Edited by - dlucier on 06/26/2012 08:09:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page