Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Vacuuming solutions without shorepower
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/25/2012 :  06:58:16  Show Profile
Hi all,

My marina doesn't have shore power, and I'm trying to come up with a good way to vacuum the boat. I've never had much success with handheld cordless vacuums, and they all get crummy reviews anyway. I was thinking of getting a car vacuum with a cigarette adapter. My thoughts are the battery would have plenty of capacity, and the suction would be better. But I also don't know how quickly that would drain my boat's battery.

What do other people do?

Ben
Beneteau 361
Viking Kitty
Columbus, Ohio

Edited by - on

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  07:06:34  Show Profile
I take a cordless one with me every now and then. It's the Shark vacuum I got from Lowes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  07:08:46  Show Profile
Good question...I'm interested as well.

I don't have carpet in mine so I can Swiffer it in 10 minutes....but I've been thinking about getting a section of marine grade carpet.....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  07:27:45  Show Profile
I bought a 12v car vac. It sucks! (sorry couldn't resist)!
I can run it for 10-15 minutes but it does not have a great deal of pick up power. I usually sweep or brush the crud or crumbs into a pile, then suck up the pile with the vacuum.
On the other end, there is not much of a filter on the outflow from the canister, so if you're vacuuming something dusty, you're apt to blow out as much dust as you're pulling in. I added a finer filter, but that reduces flow and suction.
Before using it I always empty the canister and start the vacuum outside in case of dust.
If you check around I'm sure you can find a better one, but the more powerful ones will likely draw a lot more power. You can run your engine while vacuuming, to keep the battery charged up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  08:41:40  Show Profile
I am on my third vac, and none of them work that well. I got Black & Decker Pivot PHV1800 for my daughter, and it reportedly works pretty well. It has a NiCad batter, so will suffer from charge memory if not fully discharged periodically. Reviewers that use it for more than quick cleanup say that it has great suction for the first 30% of charge, then drops of rapidly. With those limitations it is still the highest rated in Consumer Reports, reflecting the poor performance of these devices. I periodically take a 2 gallon shopvac to the boat. We use a Dirt Devil Ultra Hand Vac on the stairs at home with good action, so I will probably get one for the boat. It only draws 4 amps @110V, so it will run off an 800 watt inverter (remember that that is 40 amps off your batteries) when there is no shorepower.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  10:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Remove your carpet. It gets ugly fast anyways.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  10:50:42  Show Profile
We brush and also use the double stick tape roller things...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  11:31:01  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Remove your carpet. It gets ugly fast anyways.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

We did that as well. SL came with a really nice carpet, but between our dog and our grubby feet (our marina is smack in between two cement plants, so always fine dust everywhere), we found it easier to remove the carpet & preserve it for the next owner.

We use a Dewalt Cordless Vacuum:

[url="http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202514539&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202514539&ci_kw={keyword}&kwd={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202514539&ci_gpa=pla"][/url]

I picked ours up on CL for about $60 if I remember correctly and it came with a battery I think. It runs off of the 18 VDC batteries I have for all my other Dewalt tools. It's wet/dry, gets into corners pretty well, had a detachable hose to get further into nooks & crannys, easy to use, doesn't take up much space and is pretty good on battery life & power. Admittedly it doesn't hold a lot, but how much stuff do you track in? We no longer wear our shoes into the cabin (or at least I try to remember not to). This helps keep the amount of cement dust to a minimum. If you're really wanting to be tied to it, you can get a 12 volt charger for it, not exactly sure how it charges an 18 volt tool, but we used them at my last surveying job to keep our drills in the trucks charged up. I usually just swap out the battery every third or fourth time we go which seems to work out reasonably well. I think we've only had it die on us once, and we've still got our little camping broom & dustpan as a backup.

Edited by - delliottg on 06/25/2012 11:34:12
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  13:09:08  Show Profile
If you don't have shore power, I would install an inverter. I installed a 1000w inverter on the boat a few months ago, I wished I would have done it a long time ago. No more fiddling with 12v crap. I can make coffee, toast, use a small microwave, vacuum, the admiral can use a small hair dryer. Whatever, as long as it uses less than 1000 watts and doesn't need to run all day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  14:38:00  Show Profile

Priceless....

Edited by - islander on 06/26/2012 16:15:41
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  15:49:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Priceless....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I'll agree, I have one of those too. But since I added a solar panel a couple of years ago, and then the inverter, when we took our last trip, I left the Honda at home.

Edited by - Davy J on 06/25/2012 15:50:22
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  15:50:16  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by islander</i>
<br />Pricey....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Fixed!

Edited by - NautiC25 on 06/26/2012 06:57:41
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  15:52:39  Show Profile
I sweep and mop a lot. If I need a major vacuum, or any power tool for that matter, I can go to the dock and plug in there.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2012 :  19:47:52  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NautiC25</i>
<br />...Fixed!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Not right now...

I have a 12V vac that has a rotary brush attachment--not quite like a Eureka, but better than nothing.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/25/2012 19:50:11
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2012 :  07:17:55  Show Profile
You might want to look for a small (1-gal.) wet/dry vac and use a power inverter off your house battery. you should not need to run it more than a few minutes at t time. On the other hand, that Dewalt above looks pretty good, too.
BTW, the Flickr pic above isn't working.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2012 :  08:27:16  Show Profile
Thanks so much, all; some really good ideas. it's true the carpet is kind of a pain in the neck, but it's also nice to have. I hadn't thought of a cordless Dewalt. I've had good experience with Dewalt, so I might try that route first. :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2012 :  15:59:41  Show Profile

Pricey? Yes but now you can find many knock offs for much less. I have had this Honda for many years and was my Gen-set on my powerboat before I switched to the wonderful world of sailing. Now I use it in the spring when the boat is on the hard. Sits in the back of my pickup and powers the buffer, drill, table saw etc. When Irene left us without power for 2+ days it kept my refrigerator, 4 lights, And my kitchen TV (On an antenna) going. That and the barbecue is all a man needed. Cold beer, A good steak and a remote.

Edited by - islander on 06/26/2012 16:15:00
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2012 :  18:10:28  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">That and the barbecue is all a man needed. Cold beer, A good steak and a remote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
In deed, that is priceless........

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2012 :  19:20:08  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">When Irene left us without power for 2+ days it kept my refrigerator, 4 lights, And my kitchen TV (On an antenna) going. That and the barbecue is all a man needed. Cold beer, A good steak and a remote.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

We've got one of the knockoffs, made by Kipor. It's not quite as quiet as the Honda, but the difference is slight. At 20' you pretty much can't hear it. Which doesn't do you much good on our boats, but I've never used it on ours. When we lost power earlier this year, the generator provided enough power to keep our fridge running, the blower fan on our wood stove (it was pretty cold out) and all of our friend's kid's games running and a few lights. We had three families over who didn't have any power or means to cook (which I don't get, but that's another story). The Kipor ran for almost exactly 8 hours on a tankful of gas.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2012 :  20:28:15  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by delliottg</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">When Irene left us without power for 2+ days it kept my refrigerator, 4 lights, And my kitchen TV (On an antenna) going. That and the barbecue is all a man needed. Cold beer, A good steak and a remote.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

We've got one of the knockoffs, made by Kipor. It's not quite as quiet as the Honda, but the difference is slight. At 20' you pretty much can't hear it. Which doesn't do you much good on our boats, but I've never used it on ours. When we lost power earlier this year, the generator provided enough power to keep our fridge running, the blower fan on our wood stove (it was pretty cold out) and all of our friend's kid's games running and a few lights. We had three families over who didn't have any power or means to cook (which I don't get, but that's another story). The Kipor ran for almost exactly 8 hours on a tankful of gas.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The only difference between the Kipor and the Honda is the muffler. I think Kipor makes them for Honda, which may explain why they can sell the same product for less and branded differently and with a lesser exhaust system.

I had mine on my C25 and used it to charge the batteries when cruising. Now I have it wired to a 3600 GPH bilge pump so if I get into trouble, I can go into my forward garage, grab the generator and the pump/hose assembly, take it to the cockpit, start it up and toss down the pump. If the house banks are submerged, pumps may not work or may pump slower than usual.

I also use the generator for the xmas parade and as a means of jump starting disabled stinkpotters who listened to the stereo long enough that the engine won't start.

As far as a vac goes, 12 volt anything is crap. Get an inverter and as suggested, a real wet/dry vac. 2 gallon one from Sears for 30 bucks...

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2012 :  22:21:51  Show Profile
Nilfisk makes the battery vacuum cleaners seen strapped to the back of employees in retail stores. The industrial line extends to explosion proof versions which is nice for multi-tasking with solvents below deck. As with most business grade items for personal use, buying used is the only way to go.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page