Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 C22
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/27/2012 :  19:07:44  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a good C22 with trailer for sale in Texas or environs?

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas

Edited by - on

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  04:51:51  Show Profile
There are two on the Dallas Graig's List. Here is one: 6jdn3-3273627527@sale.craigslist.org

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  06:37:41  Show Profile
There are actually a bunch of them for sale in the DFW area. Here's one on the high end.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/3247150210.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  06:38:23  Show Profile
You might look at the capri 22 as well. Friend had one and it was really nice and a blast to sail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  06:42:00  Show Profile
When we were thinking about it, you could get a brand-spanking-new one with trailer for something like $3,500. (When was that, you say? Before a lot of members here were born. ) You can also look for the Alacrity 22, Jaguar 22, and Boomaroo 22, but they'll generally be a little further away.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  06:45:12  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PCP777</i>
<br />You might look at the capri 22 as well. Friend had one and it was really nice and a blast to sail.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Fully agreed... although very few boats beat the C-22 for availability of one-design racing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  08:22:53  Show Profile
If you are looking for a C22 to seriously race competitively in class, i.e. in gold fleet, then you need to find one of the old boats, numbered under 1000, especially if you will be racing frequently in light air. The C22 sport performs well in heavy air, but doesn't fair well in light air against the older, lighter hulls that have been set up specifically for racing. We were at Lake Lanier 2 weekends ago, racing in the Gone With the Wind Regatta, C22's only. This event is often second only to the Nationals, and the club there is home to 5 former national champions. all of them sail hulls numbered under 500. There were 20 boats in gold fleet and 10 in silver. I crewed for a friend and fellow home fleet member, who sails #166. We were in silver fleet, so was #165. We had two firsts and a second on Saturday, but screwed up the start in almost zero wind on Sunday, coming in seventh in that race. We ended up in a tie breaker with the second place boat and took first due to the two firsts on Sat. Log in to Lake Lanier Sailing Club to see the standings, if they have them posted. A C22 sport will be numbered in the 15000's.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  08:27:02  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PCP777</i>
<br />You might look at the capri 22 as well. Friend had one and it was really nice and a blast to sail.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's the spirit! +1 on the Capri 22. Great boat, all the Cat22 is with a little more spunk (and more sail controls).

Truth in advertising, my prior boat was a Capri 22. The Wing keel standard rig is easy trailerable, the fin keel tall rig is the speed demon. Both configs are great boats. Because it's hardly competition to this board, check out http://www.capri22.net for that associations board for good prices on boats. Not sure what they have right now, but you can bet the ones for sale there are in great shape.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  08:33:56  Show Profile
How does the Capri 22 fin keel rate against the J22?

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/28/2012 08:34:24
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  09:18:47  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />How does the Capri 22 fin keel rate against the J22?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Depending on the location doing the rating, the J22 is rated around 175 and the Capri 22 is rated around 200.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2012 :  15:00:21  Show Profile
Don,t get me wrong. Istill have our 1975 c22, and love to sail her, but l would only try to race her in silver fleet. She will not be competitive in gold fleet without spending a lot more on her than I have available to spend. So, I crew for another member whoe boat is much more competitive.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2012 :  08:59:51  Show Profile
So Derek, what are your racing intentions going forward? You certainly made some serious investments to make TSU a thoroughbred, and as a former C-22 owner, I suspect you're fully aware of the competitive parameters...

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/29/2012 09:23:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page