Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Autohelm on Catalina 25, swing keel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NCBrew
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/29/2012 :  11:20:48  Show Profile
I am looking to put a tiller

autopilot on my Catalina 25.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand and model as well as best price and where to buy it?

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

I spent most of my money on boats and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Edited by - on

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2012 :  13:07:04  Show Profile
I went with a Simrad TP22. Got it here:

http://search.defender.com/?expression=simrad%20tiller%20pilot

I don't remember exactly why I up-sized from the TP10, but it must have been a good reason for me to spend 100 more...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2012 :  16:46:46  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Defender had a good price on the Raymarine ST1000+, so far I am quite impressed with it. I need to play more with it to fix over correction on heavy shifts, but so far it works great... see it working here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNj8htimzZ4

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2012 :  21:06:17  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Concur on the Raymarine ST1000+, I like mine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2012 :  04:39:12  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I am told the price between the simrad and raymarine low end models is similar, the raymarine technically allows a GPS/Plotter interface whereas the simrad does not... PLEASE don't just take my word on that, I never needed that function, so it wasn't real important to me so I never vetted that out... but seems to make sense if you should want it for the future.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2012 :  06:54:15  Show Profile
You might consider the Raymarine ST2000 instead of the ST1000. The 2000 uses a more robust mechanical design that should be more reliable in the long run (and there are many reviews online backing this up). It isn't that much more expensive.

The cheapest Simrad autopilot, the TP10, does not have GPS or wind sensor input. The TP22 and TP32 do. The TP22 is equivalent to the Raymarine ST1000 and the TP32 is equivalent to the Raymarine ST2000. The TP32 is much more expensive than the ST2000 though.

We had the Raymarine ST2000 on our C-25 and it worked pretty well, although I never got it tuned to not do S curves while close hauled. There are photos of it's installation on our boat here:
http://alexandchristine.smugmug.com/Sailing/Raymarine-ST2000-Installation/24453315_cX4STJ#!i=1994645863&k=pVv3kxP

Our installation only required a 5" pushrod extender.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page