Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bumper Repair
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vegasjosh
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/22/2013 :  17:19:00  Show Profile  Visit vegasjosh's Homepage
I though I would share. Bumpers are too expensive and this seems to work.

How I repaired a flat bumper.

1 - drill small hole
2 - fill with air
3 - insert screw 1/2 way
4 - coat screw with gasket make
5 - tighten screw

I had one bumper that was flat and cracked.
I did the same as above but coated the affected area with Weld On

Joshua Steenmeyer
-
5 O’CLOCK
Catalina 25
Lake Mead, NV

Edited by - on

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2013 :  18:20:21  Show Profile
I wonder if a tire plug would work too since these are low pressure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2013 :  04:08:03  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I do not know if this is still in effect but soon after I bought my boat and going to West Marine on a frequent basis, one time I discussed with the sales people that I had a bumper that had loss air and it would not hold pressure when I pumped it up with an air pump - Did they have any recommendations other than buy a new one ? They indicated if it was a Taylor bumper, the Taylor bumpers had a lifetime warranty, so I should just bring it in and they would give me a replacement.

This particular bumper was one of those white decrepit looking ones after seeing many years of service. I brought it in and they did give me a free replacement. The warranty from Taylor may have changed thru the years and so if the needle valve is leaking, they may not offer a free replacement. But I believe that if it has a leak elsewhere, they may still honor a warranty free replacement. It's worth at least asking.

Otherwise, your suggestions is a great one and should really be added to the tech section. many would just throw away a bumper if it leaked. Only issue I would have is that the screw may scratch the side of the hull, however, it would appear that the use of weld-on as you recomended, above, would appear to solve that issue. Thanks for the suggestion !!

Edited by - OLarryR on 01/23/2013 04:10:59
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:13:26  Show Profile
From Taylor web sitehttp://www.taylormadeproducts.com/catalog/warranty.html

Looks like a replacement warranty.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 01/24/2013 :  05:05:01  Show Profile
I have three Taylor Made fenders that leak. I contacted them and they said they would send replacement valves. That was about two weeks ago and they have not yet arrived.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 01/24/2013 :  08:16:55  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hewebb</i>
<br />I have three Taylor Made fenders that leak. I contacted them and they said they would send replacement valves. That was about two weeks ago and they have not yet arrived.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I'll be interested to hear how you replace them. BTW, I put a little WD40 or whatever lube I have around on the pumping "needle" before I stick it into the valve--can't say whether it really helps, but it makes sense to me. (Then again, I'm a $+!nkp*++er.)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/24/2013 08:24:11
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2013 :  05:57:13  Show Profile

Dave

Here are the instructions they sent, however they have not sent the valves nor answered my inquiry as to shipping date.

HullGard®, Big BÔ & Super GardÔ Valve Replacement Instructions
Required Tools
- Taylor Made Rubber Valve
- Needle Nose or Long Nose Pliers
- Hand Inflation Pump or Air Compressor
- Inflation needle valve
- Hair dryer (optional)
- Lubricant - A non-petroleum based grease or non curing silicone works best. A liquid soap maybe substituted but a water resistant, longer lasting lubricant will help insure better, longer lasting seals.

Valve Removal
Step 1 – Place the fender in direct sunlight to warm the vinyl to make it more pliable and generally easier to work with. A hair dryer can be used in the absence of sunlight or to speed up the warming process. Concentrate the heat at the valve area to warm a 3-4” diameter area surrounding the valve.

Step 2– Place one pliers jaw inside the center hole of the valve and tilt the pliers down to create a small gap between the rubber valve and surrounding valve opening.

Insert the opposite side pliers jaw in this opening and securely grip the valve. The valve should pull out of the fender with a slight tug. If the valve slips from the pliers, repeat the process until it pulls free.

Replacement
Step 3- Lubricate the outside of the valve and push it into the valve opening. A lubricated valve can be inserted without the aid of any hand tools. If more force is needed, carefully push on the face of the valve with the tips of the pliers. Do not force the valve by exerting force inside the center opening of the valve as this could tear the rubber within the valve.

Inflation
Step 4 – Lubricate the inflation needle and insert into the valve. Be sure the inflation needle extends deep enough into the valve to allow air to pass through it. Inflate the fender. The recommended maximum inflation pressure is 2 psi. A properly inflated fender will feel firm and still look cylindrical - no bulging side walls.

Checking the Valve for Leaks
Step 5 – The valve area should be submerged under water to look for escaping air. Spraying a soapy water solution around the valve to check for air bubbles is also a good method of leak detection. If a leak is found, repeat the valve removal and installation process making sure ample grease was used. If the second attempt is unsuccessful then there is most likely a problem with the internal valve seat and the fender should be replaced.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2013 :  20:45:21  Show Profile
I know it isn't a really big deal, but I hate to see"fender" degraded to "bumper". Cars have bumpers and fenders; boats have fenders.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2013 :  04:37:05  Show Profile
The replacement valves from Taylor Made came in the mail yesterday. I plan to sail tomorrow and will bring one of the leaky ones home to do the valve replacement. They sent an extra one. Could be I might mess one up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2013 :  13:31:07  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I hate to see"fender" degraded to "bumper". <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I agree, Call them by their proper name....Crash Stoppers or as my wife calls them, Those white rubber doohickey's

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page