Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Racing Forum
 OT -Miles River Race - Annapolis to St. Michael's
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/28/2013 :  12:22:43  Show Profile
You might enjoy a photo taken of Ronin, a Cal 25 I crewed on last weekend in the Miles River race. The photo was taken at the start. Shortly afterward, our gps speed registered over 8 kts, and it was in the high 7s almost all the way. The windspeeds that were predicted were 15, with gusts to 30. I'd estimate that we didn't see much wind below 20. We finished 4th. Not many boats flew spinnakers, and most of those that did waited until later in the race, after the wind abated a little. Even then, they broached and rounded up frequently. The Cal 25 that finished 2nd was skippered by a frequent race winner, and he sailed about the first 1/3 of the race <u>on his main sail alone</u>. Our engine was dragging the prop, and I'm sure it slowed us. The speed of the tri hulls was stunning! They blew past the monohulls unbelievably.
As you can see, we were creating a pretty good rooster tail for a sailboat.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - on

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2013 :  14:01:57  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Yep, we were abused as well. Those winds were something else. Saw sustained 20-25... gusts are an argument... we were all playing "can you top this reading..." but the highest measured speed during the race for winds was 42mph... others all hovered around 35mph.

I personally hit my fastest speed at "somewhere over 8.25 knots," (I dunno what it was as I didn't look until after the chaos was over). We were really busy at the time.

Freaking great sailing though!

PS: Great shot by the way...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2014 :  07:30:22  Show Profile
Looks like a blast Steve!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page