Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 Week sail in Kemah, TX
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tolvstad
Deckhand

Member Avatar

9 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/23/2013 :  07:06:53  Show Profile
Can anyone help me with a little advice? I am chartering a boat in Kemah for a week. I plan on sailing out into the gulf and wondering if anyone has any recomendations on places to see.

Edited by - on

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2013 :  07:23:57  Show Profile
I sail out of the Kemah area and as far as I'm concerned there's not a lot to see except the Johnson Space Center and the Kemah Boardwalk. Then again I've lived in Houston my whole 59 years so I've been there and done that more than once.

Depending on what you want to see, Galveston has a lot of stuff to do. Go to www.galveston.com to see just about everything there is to do. Check out the webcams around town.

Which charter company are you using? When are you planning on coming down?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tolvstad
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2013 :  04:55:51  Show Profile
Thanks GaryB. I was wondering if there is anythink interesting if one was to sail to Freeport or Port Lavaca?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2013 :  19:01:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tolvstad</i>
<br />Thanks GaryB. I was wondering if there is anythink interesting if one was to sail to Freeport or Port Lavaca?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I've never been on the water along that section of the coast so I can't really give you any advice. I have visited Freeport and Port Lavaca by land.

My guess is the coast is like it is east of Galveston which consists mostly of low, flat terrain with tall salt grass or marsh. To me, relatively featureless. If you've never been to the Texas coast before you will find the land is very, very flat.

I guess it would be the exact opposite of being in the mountains.

There are a couple of nice marinas in Freeport. Just be careful you don't accidentally venture into one of the Security Zones in the Freeport Harbor.

I've heard there is a nice marina in Port Lavaca also but I don't know anything about it.

What kind of things are you interested in seeing?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tolvstad
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2013 :  05:59:18  Show Profile
Thanks GaryB, We are relatively new to sailing and mainly looking to hone our skills. Places to stop or grab a bite to eat on our way along the coast is what we are mainly inquiring about. We would like to go to a different marina, thanks for the warning on the security zones, we will look into that.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2013 :  20:08:08  Show Profile
In the Kemah area, if you drive, there's several good restaurants at the Kemah Boardwalk, T-Bone Tom's is just down the street from the Boardwalk.

By boat in Galveston, you have the Galveston Yacht Basin for a marina but there's no place to eat other than a new hamburger place in the marina unless you rent a car.

Another marina just a mile or so from the Galveston Yacht Basin is at the Harbor House Hotel. It's very small and very protected. There are 4 or 5 really good restaurants within a couple of blocks of the marina. You can tour the tall ship Elissa directly adjacent to the marina and their is an oil drilling museum at the other end of the wharf (1/4 mile away). A few blocks south of the marina is the Galveston Strand where they hold the Galveston Mardi Gras each year. There are some neat shops to explore along with a few more so-so restaurants.

If you sail or motor a few miles down the Galveston Ship Channel and under the causeway there is Offat's Bayou with a couple of marina's or you can anchor out.

I believe there is still a dock and maybe a marina at Moody Gardens. It's a nice place to visit with three or four glass pyramids. A tropical rain forest in one pyramid. There is also a big indoor aquarium.

Next door to Moody Garden's is the Lone Star Flight Museum. Very large display of static and flying aircraft from WWII, Korea, and I think maybe a few Vietnam era aircraft.

If you rent a car, take a taxi, or ride a bike 20 blocks or so across the island there is Seawall Boulevard and the beach. Tons of places to eat and drink.

That's about all the local knowledge I can provide.

Which charter company are you using?

Edited by - GaryB on 06/25/2013 20:12:31
Go to Top of Page

Tolvstad
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2013 :  14:25:10  Show Profile
Thanks Gary, thats exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. Called the marina at Moody Gardens and they say $1.50/ft for a slip for the night. Is that reasonable? I am new at this so not sure on prices and how all this works...

I am chartering through Windward Sea Adventures. How do they rate compared to others in the area?

Is there any other stops like Moody Gardens along the coast within a 100 miles or so?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2013 :  18:42:39  Show Profile
I've never stayed out overnight so I'm not sure what would be a reasonable rate.

One of my co-workers has chartered through Windward Sea Adventures a couple of times in the past year. He likes them!

If you look at their website their's a picture of Animus Victus - a 31' Beneteau. That's the boat my co-worker has chartered. http://www.windwardseaventure.com/charter-rentals-animus-victus

Unfortunately I cannot think of any other places along the coast that would have an attraction like Moody Gardens. I just day sail and have never really gone anywhere on the boat. Haven't even been to Galveston by boat!

BTW... Windward Sea Adventures is in the marina right next to mine. I pass their office every time I go to my boat. When my boat was docked in the inner basin of Watergate Marina I was about 100 yards from their front door. Now I'm about 1/4 mile away.

When are you coming down? If I'm in town and down at the boat swing by and say hey!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tolvstad
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2013 :  21:12:13  Show Profile
We went down and chartered Seafari from Greg at Windward Sea Adventures in January. I was very impressed with his quality of service. He made sure we had everything we asked for and more. Seafari is in the slip right next to Animus Victus.

We are from the Dakotas so its a real treat to get to spend some time on the water. We are excited and looking forward to a week of relaxation and good sailing.

It would be great to meet you. We are flying into La Porte around the 20th of July.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2013 :  12:40:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tolvstad</i>
<br />We went down and chartered Seafari from Greg at Windward Sea Adventures in January. I was very impressed with his quality of service. He made sure we had everything we asked for and more. Seafari is in the slip right next to Animus Victus.

We are from the Dakotas so its a real treat to get to spend some time on the water. We are excited and looking forward to a week of relaxation and good sailing.

It would be great to meet you. We are flying into La Porte around the 20th of July.

Do you have your own plane? I soloed at the La Porte airport in 1972.
I work in La Porte but live on the far southwest side of town.

Seafari is a pretty boat! I was looking a the pictures of it the other night.

Unfortunately I'll be on vacation on the 20th and won't be around.

BTW, if you're back in the Kemah area by the 26th they have a very nice fireworks display every Friday night at the Kemah Boardwalk that starts around 9:15 - 9:30. Usually lasts 20 - 30 minutes.

From where my boats sits in the marina I can sit in the cockpit and watch the whole show without leaving my dock thus avoiding 200-300 boats that are out on the water acting like idiots after dark.

Here's a link to a webcam at a guys house looking out over Galveston Bay about a mile north of the Kemah Boardwalk. Neat thing about this camera is you can change the direction the camera points by clicking on the words on the left side of the screen --&gt;&gt; http://www.nichtberger.com/camera.html

Bring some cool clothes too, my Davis weather staion in the backyard is indicating 101.7 degrees right now with a heat index of 113!!! Amazingly the humidity is only 37% which is about as low as it ever gets in the summer time. Usually it's around 85% - 95%.

Check out this link. This site has a ton of photos and cruise destinations along the Texas coastline. Might give you some ideas on where to go --&gt;&gt; http://www.tmca.nu/ If nothing else it's good reading.

Edited by - GaryB on 06/29/2013 16:12:06
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2013 :  03:41:03  Show Profile
As GaryB noted, Galveston Bay has its share of skinny water. As such, there are dredged channels throughout. When I lived on the Bay (80's) the dredge fill areas were often only marked by an occasional bamboo pole. Depending on wind and tide, these areas could be really shallow (as I discovered....) and often shift from year to year as tropical storms pass through. Just be aware....Gary can offer better insight.

As for overnight slip fees....Locally (VT) guest slip fees are $2.00/ft.

If you have not visited Galveston before, it would be worth a day or two to visit by land. Hurricane Ike really took a toll on the water front and the live oaks which offered a lot of charm to the city but Galveston has a rich cultural and architectural history often overshadowed by the tourist trappings.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2013 :  09:27:40  Show Profile
I believe I saw something on the TMCA site I mentioned above about one of the marina's in the Galveston area charging $2.25/ft per night so the $1.80/ft at Moody Gardens sounds pretty good.

If you decide to go to Moody Gardens in the boat be aware that if yo get an inch out of the channel leading into Offats Bayou you will be in 2' of water. One of the several places I know of in the area where you have to make absolutely sure you are in the channel at all times.

With my boat I can go almost anywhere in the bay without having to worry about water depth.

Once you get south past Redfish Reef you need to be careful when you get out of the ship channel. One nice feature of the Houston Ship Channel is there is an area between the deep part of the channel the ships have to stay in and the bouy's marking the channel where you can motor without the ships getting to you. I think it's 200 feet wide or something like that. Enough room for two boats to pass without it being a problem.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tolvstad
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2013 :  19:00:47  Show Profile
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. When we were down there in January there had been a strong north wind plus an extra low tide.....kept us at a marina for a day due to the low water level. I wasn't sure how the Depth was set up on Seafari but I knew is wasn't correct.....made for very nervous motoring out of the marina when we finally decided to chance it, but be made it just fine. We will definitely heed your advice about the channels if we go to Moody Gardens.

I have never flown into LaPorte, but it looks like the closest airport to the marina. Are you current on your Pilots license?

The locals we talked to last time we were down showed us some of the changes the storms had made....very sad, but you still have a very nice area and marinas. I am still fascinated with how many boats are in the area!!

When we were there last time they canceled the fire works due to inclimate weather. I think they had them the next night, but we had already left and missed it. Hoping we can see them this time!

Thanks for the links.....I will check them out. I tried the camera but its getting dark down there already!! I like the idea they also have the weather link. Thanks again guys....we hopefully will have time to check out the town a bit too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2013 :  18:23:17  Show Profile
<br />Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. When we were down there in January there had been a strong north wind plus an extra low tide.....kept us at a marina for a day due to the low water level. I wasn't sure how the Depth was set up on Seafari but I knew is wasn't correct.....made for very nervous motoring out of the marina when we finally decided to chance it, but be made it just fine. We will definitely heed your advice about the channels if we go to Moody Gardens.

I have never flown into LaPorte, but it looks like the closest airport to the marina. Are you current on your Pilots license?

The locals we talked to last time we were down showed us some of the changes the storms had made....very sad, but you still have a very nice area and marinas. I am still fascinated with how many boats are in the area!!

When we were there last time they canceled the fire works due to inclimate weather. I think they had them the next night, but we had already left and missed it. Hoping we can see them this time!

Thanks for the links.....I will check them out. I tried the camera but its getting dark down there already!! I like the idea they also have the weather link. Thanks again guys....we hopefully will have time to check out the town a bit too.
La Porte will be the closest airport with easy access to Kemah. When you come out of the airport turn let (East) go approx 2-1/2 miles and hang a right on Hwy 146. It's about 10 miles down to Kemah.

I haven't been current in years. Kids, college, boats, time, etc..., all add up.

What kind of plane do you have?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tolvstad
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2013 :  20:51:41  Show Profile
Yes...its hard to keep up!! I always thought the older you got the better you would get at managing it all....definitely not my case.

I have a Bellanca Super Viking. I really enjoy it. Definitely makes the world a smaller place.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2013 :  21:32:30  Show Profile
<br />Yes...its hard to keep up!! I always thought the older you got the better you would get at managing it all....definitely not my case.

I have a Bellanca Super Viking. I really enjoy it. Definitely makes the world a smaller place.

Sweet! Always wanted to fly one of those. When I was learning to fly the flight school had a brand new '73 model but I didn't have enough flight time or money to ever take it up.

BTW... This is probably your best place for tie-down. They are on the southeast corner of the field. This time of the year runway 12 is usually in use. If you land on 12 just roll out to the end and turn left.

http://www.harveyrihn.com/index.html

Home of the 2008
U.S. National Aerobatic
Unlimited Champion Debby Rihn-Harvey

Edited by - GaryB on 07/03/2013 02:45:00
Go to Top of Page

Tolvstad
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2013 :  05:39:27  Show Profile
Thanks Gary, I called them and they are very accommodating. Sounds like there is another FBO there so your directions will come in handy!

I really enjoy my Bellanca...... had an old Cherokee before. Flying the Super Viking is like going from a VW to a Corvette. Even though they quit making them almost 10 years ago there is still great support.

I am getting excited about the trip...hope we can get together for a cup of coffee.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2013 :  12:46:27  Show Profile
Not sure where the other FBO would be but if it's where I think it is I would definitely stay with H & R.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tolvstad
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2013 :  20:12:18  Show Profile
I was thinking of trying to do some fishing when down there. Any advice on fishing from a sailboat? What kind of equipment would I need?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2013 :  15:17:57  Show Profile
<br />I was thinking of trying to do some fishing when down there. Any advice on fishing from a sailboat? What kind of equipment would I need?
A fishing pole and some bait but you are probably already back home by now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2013 :  05:11:39  Show Profile
We sailed down the intercostal to Freeport then in the gulf back to Galveston. Doug Penland has a good detailed word document of the trip. There are a couple things that stick in my mind. Do not tie up to one of the huge mooring balls. The barge traffic will give you a fit at night. In Freeport, go to the City Marina up old Brazos River past the sea wall gate. Great place to slip overnight. There are not a lot of good places to spend the night on the hook on the way to Freeport in the intercostal. I did not see another sailboat on the way to Freeport. I think if I were to sail out of Galveston I would probably just go out to the gulf spend the day under sail the return to the bay for a night in a slip. Gary has better information than I do. I would not make the trip to Freeport in the intercostal again.I do not know what is to the North from Galveston.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2013 :  15:02:35  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hewebb</i>
<br />We sailed down the intercostal to Freeport then in the gulf back to Galveston. Doug Penland has a good detailed word document of the trip. There are a couple things that stick in my mind. Do not tie up to one of the huge mooring balls. The barge traffic will give you a fit at night. In Freeport, go to the City Marina up old Brazos River past the sea wall gate. Great place to slip overnight. There are not a lot of good places to spend the night on the hook on the way to Freeport in the intercostal. I did not see another sailboat on the way to Freeport. I think if I were to sail out of Galveston I would probably just go out to the gulf spend the day under sail the return to the bay for a night in a slip. Gary has better information than I do. I would not make the trip to Freeport in the intercostal again.I do not know what is to the North from Galveston.
I've never made the trip down the Inter-coastal between Galveston and Freeport. What is it like? Why won't you do it again?

There's not much North of Galveston, pretty much like to the South. Only difference is the are 1 or 2 restaurants right off the Inter-coastal but I've never been to them. I hear they are good.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page