Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Boat hook tip with an Acme thread?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/31/2013 :  07:45:33  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
We lost our long reach boat hook to Neptune's grasp a few weeks ago. I've bought another collapsible painter's pole which has an Acme thread on the end. My local WM doesn't have a boat hook which threads on, so I'm looking for one online, nor do they have one in their catalog. None of the manufacturers mention whether their hook is screw on, or pop on so I'm hesitant to buy online since I don't know whether it'll fit my painter's pole.

I thought that I'd gotten a Davis hook before, but again, they don't tell you whether there are threads inside or a pop on connector and I don't remember who made it for sure.

Anybody bought one recently that has an Acme thread?

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --

Edited by - on

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2013 :  10:21:54  Show Profile
I found a screw-on boat hook tip a few years ago at Wal-Mart's boat/fishing department. It came as part of a kit with a little extendable aluminum handle with an on-off valve and a screw-on scrub brush that the water flows through. The aluminum handle was too short to be useful for a boat hook, but I had a couple of other handles that were much longer, including one that extends from 8-15'. So I grabbed it just to get the hook attachment.

The thread is the type commonly found on broomstick handles, etc. I'm not sure it's an Acme thread.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2013 :  11:01:31  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I'm headed for the local Walmart at lunch anyway, so I'll look, but this is more of a WM-lite, so I'm not hopeful. The closest "real" WM is about 30 miles away.

A "broom handle" thread is an Acme 3/4" x 5 TPI male thread... Usually.

Read [url="http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/broom-stick-threads-234718/"]here on a machinist's forum[/url] for their frustration, because it's not really a standard.

I never had any problems with the last boat hook tip, but Neptune hasn't seen fit to remind me of what it was.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2013 :  14:49:18  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Unsurprisingly, WM-Lite didn't have much in the way of boat stuff, or outdoor stuff at all. It's mostly a grocery & pharmacy.

It's also very weird to pull into a WM parking lot & see lots of Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, BMW, etc. cars. This particular WM is about 8 blocks from Microsoft's main campus, so it's a very different crowd from what you see in most Walmart stores.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2013 :  16:09:42  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Found a Garelick boat hook online for ~$12 with a 3/4" Acme head and ordered it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2013 :  21:01:10  Show Profile
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garelick-Replacement-Boat-Hook-Head-/190634982907#vi-content

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2013 :  21:14:27  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I think that's the same one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2013 :  08:18:50  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Well, as it turns out, the Garelick boat hook does have an Acme thread, on the tip, but not on the butt, so I can't thread my new pole onto it, but I can surely thread it onto things like brush heads. Not very helpful.

Square one...

Wish I could remember where I found the last one, I think it was a Davis.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page