Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Time to test the Tack Collar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/22/2013 :  17:42:44  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Heading out to Biscayne Bay early Friday morning to prep JD before the mid morning heat!

Weather looks like we might get the chance to test my new prototype [url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+1000+129"]Asym Tack Collar.[/url]

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2013 :  21:28:16  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I'll be interested to see how your DIY tacking collar works.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2013 :  22:03:08  Show Profile

Great job Paul... love to see some, at work, images

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2013 :  17:28:07  Show Profile
I honestly don't see any reason that it wouldn't work. Good luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2013 :  17:43:43  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<center>[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+1000+129"]
<b>DIY Asym Tack Collar</b>[/url]
My efforts to build my own Asym Tack Collar from a plastic spray can.</center>

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2013 :  20:25:43  Show Profile
Awesome! Great job Paul!

Looks like ATN just lost some business for their over-priced tacker.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2013 :  05:57:27  Show Profile
Great job. I was wondering why the tack collar isn't connected directly to the tack?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2013 :  07:52:24  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Davy J</i>
<br />Great job. I was wondering why the tack collar isn't connected directly to the tack?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Because I 'Assumed' that was the purpose of the snap hook close to the tack cringle. Works fine that way.

I am going to modify the snap hook as it is a pain to try and pull the end out and get the hook off the collar ring.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2013 :  09:43:52  Show Profile
Here is a photo of the ATN tacker, "blowing the tack":

It looks like they have two shackles on the collar. And notice the tack line is connected to it. Also, I would think that the actual tack of the sail will be stronger than that other connection. Why that extra shackle is there, is beyond me...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2013 :  10:00:32  Show Profile
Did you notice a difference in performance over just flying the tack free?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2013 :  13:57:44  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Davy J</i>
<br />Did you notice a difference in performance over just flying the tack free?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Absolutely!

When I first flew the Asym, the Tack would fly out to leeward, that would force lowering the tack to bring it back in. When the tack hangs out there, it significantly reduces the flying range and it collapses far to much.

Initially I tried running a webbing strap secured along the front edge of the furled jib and had the snap hook travel up and down that strap, but it really was not effective at keeping the tack close to the jib.

I had seen another DIY concept on the web somewhere and thought along those lines. The ATN tacker looked a bit more complex than I was prepared to tackle, certainly too many bucks!

I doubt my prototype will last as long, but if it gets in Davie's hands... Oh well!

I have a feeling that my Asym may be a bit short in the luff as it flys best when the tack is about 5' above the deck.

My current goal is to learn how to get the best from the Asym, figuring out when the bear up or bear off / ease / tighten the sheet.

As yet I have not Gybed the Asym, working my way up to that.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page