Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 External tank to OB fuel line
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

2402 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/16/2013 :  15:38:58  Show Profile
I have been fighting the abuse done to my 5hp Tohatsu by the PO. One of the issues is that the fuel bulb never "pumps up", it just keeps squeezing. So I bought a new complete Tohatsu branded line, it acts the same way. I have since found the o-ring on the fuel line connector to the OB is torn but was the connector on the old fuel line bad too; I tossed it so who knows. I have in the last week changed the connector at the OB to a Chrysler type just to get away from the more standard type that Tohatsu, Johnson, etc use. That removed the torn o-ring issue but the bulb still does not pump up. So today I got my new line kit from Amazon... my marine store here in Kansas... and I intentionally purchased a brand I had never heard of; Moeller. It seems that the hose and bulb are of a much heavier duty than the hoses and bulbs I have seen before. Did I choose well?

I also ordered Sea Foam for my fuel, everyone tells me it is the best and should help my little motor run better at low speeds, which it will not do now.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 10/16/2013 15:49:36

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2013 :  16:29:04  Show Profile
Moeller has been around quite awhile. You should be fine.

Seafoam works great in my motor. Definitely made it run better.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2013 :  17:20:02  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I had seemingly endless problems with my Tohatsu until I finally replaced everything upstream of the carburetor. Hoses, filters, connectors, added a fuel/water separator, new hoses into the fuel locker, an extra filter just for luck, new bulb, and new gas tank. No more problems.

I suspect Seafoam & products like it are largely kerosene, but I use it, Marine Stabil, & Startron in my tanks now, and that combo seems to work, um, better.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

binky
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
115 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2013 :  17:31:12  Show Profile
Not familiar with Moeller, hope it works for you. The Seafoam on the other hand is good stuff. I use it in my o/b Yamaha on Mast Confusion, slow-low speed problems have gone away. In my truck, I add Seafoam every 6 months to a full tank of gas....I also use a partial can through vacuum line to clean intake (it does smoke for a bit while Seafoam is doing its thing --15 minutes or so). After that, I use Lucas F/I cleaner every other fill up, this has resulted in my MPG going from 17 to 18.75 A tune up (not done in 35k miles) will probably boost it to over 19 mpg.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2013 :  19:47:03  Show Profile
I have used Moeller for years and never had reason to change.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page