Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Polishing JD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/26/2014 :  12:42:19  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Got the Port side of the hull polished today.

<center>[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+1000+174"]
<b>Before waxing my handiwork</b>
Port side finished and ready for Waxing.

Click to view the rest of the pics.[/url]</center>

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - britinusa on 04/26/2014 12:43:33

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  15:47:48  Show Profile
Paul - nice job! Can you see your reflection in the finish?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  16:23:29  Show Profile
Beautiful! I wish mine had turned out like that. I also bought the Makita and followed the directions on that site, my 16 yo just didn't turn out that nice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  18:12:30  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tradewind</i>
<br />. . . my 16 yo just didn't turn out that nice . . .
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Steve, your boat is 16 years young. It may be more about technique than age.

This shiny hull stuff was all started when Bruce Ross posted MaineSail's link here!

Here are before and after shots of our 25 year old boat:

Edited by - OJ on 04/26/2014 18:24:00
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  18:41:59  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Sweet!

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  18:58:00  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I should get the stbd side done in the morning, but I'm not sure how to tackle the areas above the rub rail.

The bow on either side of the anchor locker cover needs work, but I don't see the buffer getting between all of the hardware at the bow and by the cleats, stanchions, and cheeks.

Had thought of getting a polishing kit for my dremmel ????

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  19:22:35  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by britinusa</i>
<br />

I highly doubt the dremmel would have enough torque. And if it did you might burn the gel coat by concentrating all that friction in such a small area.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2014 :  07:04:45  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by britinusa</i>
<br />I should get the stbd side done in the morning, but I'm not sure how to tackle the areas above the rub rail.

The bow on either side of the anchor locker cover needs work, but I don't see the buffer getting between all of the hardware at the bow and by the cleats, stanchions, and cheeks.

Paul
I had an [url="http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-compact-palm-polisher-90219.html"]inexpensive palm polisher[/url] lying around, so I used that for the smaller areas. It's not anywhere near as good as your Makita, but its lower torque ensures that you won't damage anything. For smaller areas you compensate for the lack of torque by spending more time, but since the areas are small it's not a major issue. The pad isn't that much smaller than your Makita, but the smaller handle makes it easier to maneuver. You won't get in as far as a Dremel would, though.

The side and front window areas I do with my Chinese Makita knockoff. I used to be careful to use Novus Plastic Polish for the windows, but over time I discovered that the Presta Cutting Cream works fine so I can just do fiberglass and acrylic as one large area.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2014 :  08:09:52  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TakeFive</i>

The side and front window areas I do with my Chinese Makita knockoff. I used to be careful to use Novus Plastic Polish for the windows, but over time I discovered that the <font color="brown">Presta Cutting Cream works fine</font id="brown"> so I can just do fiberglass and acrylic as one large area.

That's good to know Rick.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2014 :  17:26:16  Show Profile
I am in the process of removing stick on decals/stripes from my boat. I have looked for the info from MaineSail about polishing concepts but can't find it. Can someone help? Thanks, Chief

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  05:29:32  Show Profile
OJ, you may be right about the technique but I also put some on the age....my age...at 66 I run out of steam sooner than I used to and that Makita gets heavy after a while. The boat had not been polished ever as far as I know so it took a lot of work. Next time it won't be so difficult to get a good shine on it, I hope.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  07:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Rubbed out Peregrine with homemade softscrub made with Bon Ami and dish soap and got the first coat of Fleet wax on. Will do the second coat today.

Little bit of a pain to apply but it is rock hard and lasts all season

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  07:54:11  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tradewind</i>
<br />OJ, you may be right about the technique but I also put some on the age....my age...at 66 I run out of steam sooner than I used to and that Makita gets heavy after a while. The boat had not been polished ever as far as I know so it took a lot of work. Next time it won't be so difficult to get a good shine on it, I hope.

I'm with you on that!

This morning my arms and back are reminding me about what I did yesterday.

Despite that, it's shear pleasure standing back and seeing the hull look so good.

Wax goes on this evening when it's cooler after work today.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  14:08:14  Show Profile
Paul...looks great, did you buy extra pads?

Edited by - TCurran on 04/28/2014 14:08:36
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  14:51:59  Show Profile
<br />OJ, you may be right about the technique but I also put some on the age....my age...at 66 I run out of steam sooner than I used to and that Makita gets heavy after a while.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I'm 6 years behind you. We'll see if mine looks as good as yours in 6 years

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page