Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Adding a television to a C25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indyshelley
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/06/2014 :  20:54:45  Show Profile
Our latest upgrade....We have added a 19" television to our boat!
We do not have shore power so we needed a TV that could run on the batteries. We started by looking for small portables. They were very small and hard to find. Then I started shopping for marine and RV 12volt televisions. They were all very expensive. I read were some had success buying televisions made for 120VAC and "converting" them.
Turns out that many newer smaller TVs actually run on 12vdc but come with external 120vac power supplies to covert to 12vdc.
So that's exactly what we did. We purchased an Insignia Model:NS-19E310NA15 from Best Buy for $89 (looks like they just raised the price to $110) It has an external power supply for 120vac but the TV actually runs on 12vdc. I used an adapter that allows it to plug directly into a cigarette lighter. I mounted the TV with 4mm screws through the bulkhead.
I also purchased a white TV antenna from Home Depot for $20 and mounted it to the ceiling of the cabin.
It all works very well and we are very happy with it. I can see and control the TV from the cockpit!
The TV is a LED back lit LCD. The current draw is low. It varies from 1.0 amps to 1.25 amps depending on what the volume and brightness is set at.

This is my favorite modification so far!

Here are some pictures of what the whole think looks like. Let me know what you think. I eventually will rewire the power so the wire will be hidden against the mast support.:

"Lakehouse" 1981 TR/SK #2443 Dinette Model
Eagle Creek Reservoir, Indianapolis, Indiana

Edited by - indyshelley on 06/06/2014 21:00:48

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2014 :  03:42:46  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Nicely done!

Our 'Marine' TV is failing, several of the controls no longer work and the DVD player is kaput, it cost well over $300 about 7 years ago, time for replacement.

We researched this past week and found several similar to yours, but they did not report the power consumption, our existing model takes 3amps+, so your example would be a good solution. Thanks for Posting.

(nice installation!)

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2014 :  06:43:54  Show Profile
Very nice mod! :) Well done!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2014 :  11:31:16  Show Profile
I use that RCA antenna, the model with a signal booster, and a 17" Macbook Pro. A USB tuner turns my old laptop into a nice tv with built in DVD. I enjoy a little late night tv before bed as opposed to hanging out with the heavy drinkers who seem to dominate the docks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2014 :  12:46:46  Show Profile
Very nice installation Jeff! Wish my boat looked as nice as yours (I need to clean and straighten it up).

I use a regular 19" TV as I'm never away from shore power. Since I'm 30+ miles from the TV transmitters I bought the round Shakespeare antenna at West Marine and can receive 30 - 40 channels but only about 6 are worth watching.

I just lay the antenna on the top of my Bimini when in use and place it below decks when I'm away from the boat.

OT - Do you have any pictures of the door installation in the head area? My doors are beginning to deteriorate.

Edited by - GaryB on 06/08/2014 06:06:39
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2014 :  13:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Smart tip indyshelley!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

oldragbaggers
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
47 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2014 :  11:15:58  Show Profile  Visit oldragbaggers's Homepage
Awesome modification and thank you so much for posting it, and especially for giving the brand and model of the equipment you used and where you purchased it. I will add this thread to my subscriptions so it is easy to find when I get to that point in our boat's renovation. Definitely something we will want to do.

And, by the way, your boat is beautiful. I see it looks like you added additional wood backing for your chainplates on the main bulkheads. I have to fabricate new bulkheads for our boat and this looks like something I should probably do as well.

Edited by - oldragbaggers on 06/08/2014 11:45:05
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2014 :  18:07:03  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your research Jeff.

Another project that was probably 90% planning, 10% execution . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2014 :  12:05:51  Show Profile
Is there any issues with reception if the boat is rocking. Since going to digital signals our TV antena which was mounted at the top of the mast does not work properly. The reception will freeze and turn to a grrbeled mess unless the boat is perfectly still. We have since taken the antena down and use it at dock, by placing it on the dock, but if your $20 antena works out on the water I’m interested

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2014 :  16:39:30  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by glen</i>
<br />Is there any issues with reception if the boat is rocking. Since going to digital signals our TV antenna which was mounted at the top of the mast does not work properly. The reception will freeze and turn to a garbled mess unless the boat is perfectly still. We have since taken the antenna down and use it at dock, by placing it on the dock, but if your $20 antenna works out on the water I’m interested
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I can't speak for the Radio Shack antenna but I only occasionally have an issue with the Shakespeare antenna I have. I think it's more the fact it lays in a depression in the bimini than anything else. I can move it a couple of inches and the picture is fine even when rollers come through the marina and the boat rocks..

Edited by - GaryB on 06/10/2014 16:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2014 :  17:17:02  Show Profile
Hmm, I go to the lake to get away from TV...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indyshelley
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2014 :  17:36:09  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />OT - Do you have any pictures of the door installation in the head area? My doors are beginning to deteriorate.
Thanks Gary!
Are you talking about the door between the main cabin and the head area? What would you like pictures of? I think it is the original door.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2014 :  17:40:08  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by indyshelley</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />OT - Do you have any pictures of the door installation in the head area? My doors are beginning to deteriorate.
Thanks Gary!
Are you talking about the door between the main cabin and the head area? What would you like pictures of? I think it is the original door.
Yes. How it's mounted and an overall shot of he door itself. I'd like to do that mod on my boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indyshelley
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2014 :  17:44:55  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by glen</i>
<br />Is there any issues with reception if the boat is rocking. Since going to digital signals our TV antena which was mounted at the top of the mast does not work properly. The reception will freeze and turn to a grrbeled mess unless the boat is perfectly still. We have since taken the antena down and use it at dock, by placing it on the dock, but if your $20 antena works out on the water I’m interested
Glen, we don't get as good of reception then at home but usually can pickup 2 or 3 channels pretty well. But we have a small lake and the waves and rocking are not too big....also the tv stations are pretty close. Hmmmmm....i was thinking ADDING a mast antenna would bet better!
I am working on hooking up a portable DVD player to the tv for movies.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indyshelley
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2014 :  18:38:12  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2014 :  08:17:29  Show Profile

Glen, we don't get as good of reception then at home but usually can pickup 2 or 3 channels pretty well. But we have a small lake and the waves and rocking are not too big....also the tv stations are pretty close. Hmmmmm....i was thinking ADDING a mast antenna would bet better!
I am working on hooking up a portable DVD player to the tv for movies.
[/quote]Thank you for the reply. I think mounting at the top of the mast is a two sided sword. The higher altitude should improve reception, but any side to side movement of the boat will be increased. So unless you have an antenna that is not affected by movement, lower might be better

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2014 :  18:06:14  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by indyshelley</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>

Very, very nice! Thank you for posting these pictures.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2014 :  20:05:14  Show Profile
I have the RCA powered antenna and the unpowered antenna at home for my DTV sets. I also purchased the Mohu Leaf antenna. I usually get 2X the number of channels on the Leaf than the RCA. Mounting the Leaf in the cabin may be a bit more problematic than the RCA since the Leaf is flexible and the RCA is rigid.
Amazon carries it [url="http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Paper-Thin-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00HSMK580"]here[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2014 :  13:31:20  Show Profile
<br />

Jeff, you should have gone with Dish! They have wireless hookups!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page