Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 2 speed winches
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/17/2014 :  05:36:22  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
When I bought Eowyn in Nov. I was hoping that she would have self tailers, because, you know, they are cool.
A Little disapointed that she didn't.

I raised the mast saturday, and when I cranked back on the winch it didn't rachet, but turned the same way! Awesome, 2 speed winches, what a nice surprise! I'd missed those since I sold my big boat. I think these will do fine as Arwen ,my last cat 25, had single speed winches. My little girl will be able to use them now.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com

Edited by - on

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  05:55:24  Show Profile
When I bought my c25, I ordered 2 spd winches w/o self tailers and liked them. I would have rarely used self tailers, but often used the low speed to fine trim the jib whenever the wind was strong.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  07:27:51  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
yeah my 9 year old has trouble with the single speed.. she cant crank them. the reduction in these will help.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  11:23:30  Show Profile
Our C-25 had 2 speed winches. Took a bit getting used to them, but learned to like them very much.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  11:29:33  Show Profile
2 speed winches don't have a lower gear than the single speed equivalent, they have a higher gear.

For instance my Catalina 25 had Lewmar 16 single speed primary winches, and my Pearson uses Lewmar 16 two speed halyard winches.

The gear ratio on the Lewmar 16 single speed is 16:1. The gear ratio on the Lewmar 16 dual speed is 16:1 and 7.9:1. In other words, turn it one way and it has the power of the 16:1 primary winch on a Catalina 25, turn it the other way and it has about the same power as the Lewmar 7 mast winch that was on our Catalina 25.

If you wanted more powerful winches you would need to look at something like the Lewmar 24 (not made anymore) or 30 two-speed.

It took me a while to get used to the 2sp winches when I moved to my new boat. Now that I'm used to them singlespeed winches are always a bit frustrating.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  12:19:33  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
could of sworn all my winches on the old boat were 1:1, but I dont have it anymore to test.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  12:40:22  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awetmore</i>
<br />2 speed winches don't have a lower gear than the single speed equivalent, they have a higher gear.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Good to know - we were planning on changing over to two speed units as our upper body strength declines with age . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  14:08:03  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dasreboot</i>
<br />could of sworn all my winches on the old boat were 1:1, but I dont have it anymore to test.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The ratios come from gearing and the drum size of the winch relative to the lever size of the handle.

A Lewmar 7 (common mast winch on the Catalina 25) has no gearing, the 7:1 ratio comes from the drum having a 3.5" diameter, which is 7 times smaller than the 12" radius of the handle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page