Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Furlex 100 S
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

worane
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/09/2014 :  00:12:06  Show Profile
I have just bought an old C 25.It is a bit of a kit boat that blew ashore in a cyclone off a broken mooring.
The furler is in bits in a box and consists of bits and lots of loose ball bearings.
Does anyone have a diagram of how it goes back together and how many ball bearings are suposed to be in it. I will lay money that some are missing.any coments welcome .
Regards, Nick.

Edited by - on

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2014 :  07:55:37  Show Profile
This is the manual http://www.seldenmast.com/files/595-102-E.pdf

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2014 :  09:26:38  Show Profile
Nick,
Welcome to the asylum! While the furler is interesting, what was the condition of the boat when you got it? Having broken free from its mooring, did she wind up on a beach, on rocks, on a dock or somebody else's boat? Is she in pretty good shape, or are there gouges in the hull? If you have any "before" photos, they would be interesting.

Thank God my boat is on a floating dock with four seabed screw anchors and four 1" bungy-type lines holding the dock in place. I make Passage fast to the floating dock with four 1/2" docklines. I was on a ball for two weeks one year and I worried about a big wind taking her away. With a single line mooring, even if you have two lines from your bow cleats to the ball, you're still relying on a single thing to keep the boat in place...

Good luck with the furler rebuild.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2014 :  04:10:56  Show Profile
Thanks for that download info Islander now I can get on with fixing it (or not) as the case may be!( Furler)
Bruce the C25 , It has no name on it, was in a lake just inside the New South Wales coast here in Oz.
It went ashore on June 8Th. 2007 and landed on the shore just in front of the house of the guy I bought it from. He Ken, is a yachtie from way back.
He bought the boat. The port side was pushed in and that broke the hull to deck seal.
When I bought the boat from him, he had done a lot of work on it.
The deck seam had been made good and the topsides repainted in two pack.
He had also scraped the bottom a job I do not relish.
Since I bought it on Ebay I drove to Newcastle (1100 kilometers each way) and spent three days getting it to fit my trailer. Then I towed it home blowing two tyres in the process.
I have since then removed and repaired the windows which were in need.I painted them with etch primer / undercoat/topcoat titainum silver/grey auto paint +three coats of clear coat on top.. They came up really nice. I bought a rubbers kit from Catalina direct . Yes they do NOT supply enough calking.
I have replaced the rubrail in the damaged area on the port side and bought a new keel wire and turning ball. Yet to be fitted.
The cabin top has been painted before the windows went back in and the decks have been rubber coated.
It in winter here at the moment so not much progress has ben made of late. I still have the furler to put back together and the cockpit to be ground down to remove the old gelcoat repaint in hibuild epoxy and top coat in two pack.
The soloution to replacing the keel winchwire is to take the boat to a friends farm and use his crane to lift the stern to get at the wire.
I got some good advice here on the forum to use an oildrum to lift the stern to get at it but alas it will not work as I can not get the drum under the stern as this boat has a Yanmar inboard diesel and the shaft is in the way. Plus the lift from above allows for a more stable lift. (holding from above versus pushing up and stablising)
Down below, I am fitting LED lights around the deck edge behind the very useful lip that hides the bolts in the deck so you dont get the light directly in your eyes.
I am fitting a portapotty head as I have had a lifetime of smelly bogs.
A new dinette table is built but yet to be ftted.
The cushions were all recovered before I bought it.
So that is about it for now. It keeps me amused in my new retirement and I can tow it as I have already with my TD5 diesel Land Rover.
I do not know how to post pics so you will just have to take a look at your own C25 to see what it looks like.
I was a marina manager when I was working and have always had timber boats before this. It is quite nice to look at a boat and know it does not have wet rot!
Best wishes . Regards Nick.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2014 :  06:50:57  Show Profile
Good on you Nick. What a project! About the putting an oil drum under the stern, that is what we use here in the USA, I think you guys just use and old beer can. An oil drum and an Aussie beer can are roughly the same size aren't they?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2014 :  06:55:49  Show Profile
Yes Frank, about two hundred liters I think!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page