Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Torqeedo
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2014 :  12:50:31  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Frank, my friend at my marina has this motor, so I asked him today If I can test it on my ~3000 lbs 21 foot sailboat. I was really impressed. A few days before I've also tested Yamaha 4HP 4-stroke outboard so I have pretty much good comparision baseline. I think it pulled my boat pretty much the same as that 4HP stinky motor. I was able to get little more than 4.3knots with it on full power. I'm thinking of buying some electric motor too, since in the EU there are plenty of the lakes where you cannot use gasoline engines.
The only downside is the battery so you are pretty much range limited.
The friend told me, that form the inhouse battery you can charge the motor's battery at rate like 10% per hour.
It's also very light and you can also detach the battery bank which is around the same weight as the motor itself.

<s>Only strange thing is that I was not able to fix the motor from rotating like the ordinary outboards, there is no screw for that, so you will probably have to fix it by yourself. </s>UPDATE: According to the manual, there should besome fixing pin That tiller handle is also detachable (only one cable going to the battery) so when you build the cable extention you can move it to the cockpit.
The propeler is made from plastic and the friend of mine already hit the rocks and broke it so I would also buy a spare one.

If you want to just leave and return to the marina and then sail all day long, I would highly recommend it.
I'm too tired of taking the 9.8HP 4stroke home every day (too many stolen outboard in my marina), but I'm taking some long river trips so when I will have some spare money I will this one as a second motor.

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 08/30/2014 12:54:49
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2014 :  07:54:41  Show Profile
Thanks Tom

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  02:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Just found out you can by a remote control for this motor, pn #1918. This is very cool

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  06:27:51  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Home made propeller guard http://www.tes-freunde.de/modules.php?name=coppermine& file=displayimage& album=36& pos=321

and here http://www.tes-freunde.de/modules.php?name=coppermine& file=displayimagepopup& pid=2622& fullsize=1

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 09/02/2014 07:10:39
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  19:32:06  Show Profile
My little Tohatsu must have been reading this thread, today she started beautifully and did not mess with my back.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2015 :  18:57:49  Show Profile
... and tomorrow my Torqeedo gets here. Thank you Defender and the Boat Show Sale.

The Tohatsu continued to keep me off the water last fall; never again. This motor will be my "Furler"... the improvement that gets me sailing more often.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2015 :  12:26:07  Show Profile
<< The Tohatsu continued to keep me off the water last fall >>

Interesting .. Thank you for the information.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2015 :  06:58:26  Show Profile
Frank

My 2c worth: It sounds like for your purposes the Torqeedo is the best overall answer. Sometimes the extra money we "blow" on this sort of thing ends up being a bargain compared to if we had not done so, given up on an activity we truly enjoy, and/or continue suffering with chronic discomfort. Like a roller furler or self tailing winches, sometimes those things we do not need end up being irreplaceable!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 02/14/2015 06:58:43
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2015 :  04:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Just received my new "torqeedo" - 2014 Mercury F8 ELH (electric start - long foot)

Regarding the Tohatsu quality disputation, I had Tohatsu 9.8HP and never had a problem. This Mercury is the same engine, but improved all-in-one shifting handle done according to Mercury specification. That's the only change against the Tohatsu 8HP.

See the origin of my Mercury engine :-)

It's heavy (42kg), but I can't wait for the first push-the-button start... never had an electric start before

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 02/15/2015 04:37:34
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2015 :  10:49:23  Show Profile
A friend has a Torqeedo on a little runabout, with a second battery. He figures he can go up-current until the battery runs out, and has no problem getting home. Down-current requires a little more care...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2015 :  06:46:58  Show Profile
You will be forever spoiled by the electric start. Had it on my Nissan (Tohatsu) 9.8 and absolutely loved it. Your 8 is the same motor, different carb.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2015 :  09:45:02  Show Profile
Mounting my little 5 HP Tohatsu gave me a hernia last summer which was repaired in August. The little motor had lots of ways to keep me off the water. My Torqeedo is silly light and I will never have to worry about motor weight again. I would have simply ...
1. Reinforced the transom
2. installed a new CD 4 spring mount.
3. Bought an 8 hp electric start.
... but this Torqeedo makes the changes to my Starwind 223 motor mount unnecessary and hopefully solves my issues.

One thing about my lake, the lee shore is always sand and the bottom is always mud, (other than jettys of course). so I will never panic if I can't get to my slip because of a dead battery on the motor.

It is odd to remove the tiller after using the motor, but it contains the GPS and other data display so it does make sense to treat it like any other instrument and protect it inside the cabin.

The tilt is very high and only has one stop.

It will actually store with the battery inside when I am not at the boat.

These picts are squished, is there something up with the photo gallery?

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 02/16/2015 09:53:08
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2015 :  10:03:14  Show Profile
Tomas, love my Merc shifter. The only adjustment was getting used to counterclockwise for forward and clockwise for reverse, I guess it is set up for fishermen sitting to port and controlling with the right hand. I think it can be reversed, but I didn't bother.

Also, use a cover or a rubber dressing on the tiller. The grip surface deteriorates in sunlight after a couple of years and turns your hand black when you touch it.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 02/16/2015 10:06:43
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2015 :  11:59:34  Show Profile
<< tomorrow my Torqeedo gets here. >>

That's going to be a really interesting option if Elon Musk comes up with some super duper batteries.

Definitely worth watching...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  02:11:02  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Frank, you will definitely love that silence when running, it's perfect for lake sailing.

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page