Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Stern line - Jim Sweet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

glivs
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/27/2014 :  10:30:17  Show Profile
Jim ....several years ago you posted a description of your stern line reel but the pics are no longer accessible on the forum. Any chance you could post an update? How did the 1/4" line work out?

As suggested by my signature pic we have not done much sailing these past couple of years but the Admiral is talking of taking a long weekend to explore the southern reaches of our lake before fall. Some of the anchorages we are looking at recommend a stern line to shore, something I've never done before. Just exploring ideas at the moment.

Edited by - on

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  15:29:24  Show Profile
According to the TV show "Distant Shores", it's common to anchor out and also tie up to shore in Scandinavia and on the Riviera where boaters will drop an anchor some 100-200 ft offshore and also tie the stern to a dock cleat, or to a tree on shore, then tighten up the lines between anchor and shore. If this is your plan, would a 1/4" line hold you to shore in a blow? Would you need about 200 ft of line for your shore tie?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  21:31:49  Show Profile
That's interesting as I will look for the pictures to share what worked for me. Sailing in the Northwest there are steel rings in marine parks to encourage boats to anchor and then run a line to shore so there is more room for boats. I found the 1/4 yellow line works and HF has 600' reels that price wise works for me. It floats and winds up easy.
Setting up takes practice. I row to shore taking the line from the reel and go around something or through a ring and then back to the boat. I secure the end of the yellow line and then take up slack on the reel side until the boat is secure and you haven't drifted down on an other boat already anchored and tied to shore. The feature is when you want to leave you untie the end and reel in the line. There is a time factor as you now drift and do the anchor while the engine idles and not come down on the boat or shore below you. You might make Facebook. Goodluck with very protected anchorages.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  21:46:43  Show Profile
Stern ties are common where I am too (also in the PNW). We use Samson MFP (which floats) in 1/4" as the line on my boat and it would also work on the Catalina 25.

What works best for us is to put the spool onto a boat hook and across the cockpit. I jump into the dinghy and row with the float line attached to it (usually just me sitting on it), take it around a tree or a ring, then row it back to our boat. My wife stays in the cockpit and makes sure that the line rolls out cleanly. We tie each end (one is on the spool, the other is the bigger end) to a stern cleat, then put the spool back into the cockpit locker.

In the morning we just put the spool back on the boat hook, undo the cleats, roll up the line, and go head out. No dinghy is involved.

Our spool has about 450' of line on it (it started with 600'). I cut off 75' for a dinghy tow line and the other 75' has found various utilitarian purposes.

Floating line is essential to keep it from getting wrapped up into the rudder or other things.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  04:56:46  Show Profile
Thanks all; very helpful. The anchorages we are looking at are well protected depending upon wind direction but small and surrounded by steep shorelines. Some have rings installed. I assume that if the anchorage is well protected the scope of the anchor rode can be limited (?).

Hope to change my signature pic this week

Edited by - glivs on 08/28/2014 04:57:53
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  07:08:16  Show Profile
So the ring part of the equation is a key factor, as well as using floating line. Is that correct?
the mental picture I have is this:
You run the line out from your reel mounted on or near the transom guided by your crew, then to the ring (using your dinghy). Then you loop the line through the ring so it holds and then you dink the bitter end of the line back to the boat while your crew continues to feed out line. Once you've got your line doubled up back at the transom, you tighten it against the anchor and the tension keeps the boat aligned between your neighbors.
Do you fender up to leeward just in case?
When you're ready to leave, do you simply release one end of the stern loop and pull the line through the ring to release it? You'd probably want to avoid your line catching a snag or getting tangled on itself so it will pull freely from the ring and shore all in one shot.
If instead you wrapped the line around the rough bark of a tree or branch, you could more easily get snagged. You might carry an inexpensive carabiner and a piece of line to set up your own ring on shore.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  09:34:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

So the ring part of the equation is a key factor, as well as using floating line. Is that correct?

A tree also works if a ring is not available. Rings are in common anchorages in BC, but are not common at all in WA (where stern ties would only be used in State Parks).

I don't put out fenders, unless they are to fender my dinghy from my boat.

The Samson MFP line doesn't snag very easily and I haven't had any issues using it around trees. A generic hollow braid poly line would snag a lot more easily and that would be more of a concern. MFP isn't that expensive, I think my 600' roll cost about $150. I know Polypro rope from Harbor Freight is a lot cheaper, but it is also a lot weaker (72lb breaking load instead of 1700lbs for Samson MFP), more likely to snag, and doesn't come on a reel that is going to last a long time. I personally wouldn't trust a 72lb breaking strength rope for a stern line.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2014 :  05:42:19  Show Profile
There is a beach I like to anchor on like that ( a beach with shade and rocks on either side, but lots of traffic coming by so this is a bow out anchoring ) .. I use double modified river anchors and a stern line. I drive up to one side of the beach and turn the boat parallel to the beach, idle the engine and shift out of gear, walk forward and drop one anchor, let that pay out as the boat glides forward and cleat the line and drop the second anchor without cleating, then go back to the engine and back down the boat to the beach stopping at about 6-10 feet of depth.

I've got 2 lines for this, one secured to the boat ( 50 feet of 1/2 inch with a small fender float on the end. ) and another 25 feet or so of 3/8 over my shoulder. I jump off the back of the boat with both lines and make my way to the beach and tie the line I'm carrying with me around a tree and then go back to the line with the float and pull and tie them together with a sheet bend. This makes the length adjustable.

Then It's back to the bow anchor that was not cleated to pull in some line and cleat.

. It's a fun beach cause with the traffic coming by it's like having a surf on the beach.. and the boats rides it well.

many sailboats I've seen simply drive right up to the beach, drop the bow anchor on the beach and back down setting the beach anchor and then dropping a stern anchor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2014 :  15:07:52  Show Profile
Got a picture of the reel with PVC conduit (UV resistant). It hangs from stern pulpit with crank that handle can turn out of the way. It is ready to use and plays out the line by it's self. The crank makes for fast take up. Have used it for several seasons.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2014 :  20:15:03  Show Profile
What's the SWL on that line?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2014 :  20:47:46  Show Profile
I have looked at the specs and it says 113lb working load. Have survived some hard blows even in protected anchorage. I feel if I lose the line , it is expendible. Harbor Freight products are a choice and if I find an upgrade I would replace it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page