Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 BVI Cruise
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/27/2014 :  19:29:14  Show Profile
My girlfriend and I are joining another couple on a 10 day sailing excursion the end of October. We have never been before. Looking for ideas of where to go and what to do. Cruising on 43' Beneteau.

Edited by - on

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  20:04:11  Show Profile
OMG! Where do I begin?!?!?!
The winds never quit, the sailing grounds are legendary and the rum is always great!

Edit:
Read as much as you can about the area and each island destination. Watch racing and cruising YouTubes out the yin-yang, scope out the pricing for each of the marinas, chart out the ports - know where the reefs are, scope out all the restaurants, bars, fuel and maintenance depots, learn all the best dive areas, night spots and bays.
Make sure you know all local boating regulations, cultural expectations and immigration laws.

Edited by - Voyager on 09/27/2014 20:10:03
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  06:30:21  Show Profile
Hey David,
I have been several times- it is an amazing place and whatever you plan to do, you can't go wrong, and everything is so close to each other, when you look at the map it is hard to believe there are that many islands, so close to each other. There is so much to see and do that in the end you will want to go back, if it weren't so darn expensive..... be prepared to spend some money- the flight and the charter boat is just the beginning- food and moorings and drinks and extras will add up quickly. My family and I are going again next May- can hardly wait.
Anyway, most of the one week and ten day charter Itineraries on the internet are good and get you to a lot of the "shouldn't miss it" spots, and October is such a great time to go- it is relatively deserted in Oct-Nov so you should be able to do whatever you want without too much worry of it being crowded.

Where are you chartering your boat from? Are you planning to go to the USVI? are you interested in hitting all the beach bars or avoiding them? are you planning to do a lot of SCUBA or snorkeling? Are you planning lots of time ashore hiking or will you spend most of your time near the water and the harbors? Are you planning to eat most of your meals on the boat or are you going to go out onshore most of the time? Anyway, give us a feel for the 'type' of trip you picture in your head and I can steer you towards a suggested itinerary that you will like, just remember to be flexible once you are there and have a plan 'B' and a plan 'C' so if you have to change things up you won't be disappointed.
I can't remember the names right now, but there are two good cruising books I recommend you get as soon as you can to start reading up on all the places to go... I will post the links to Amazon shortly.
Anyway, This trip will be fun, I would love to help you plan for it.....
Cheers,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  07:02:50  Show Profile
.....Ok I recommend these two books.
"Cruising the Virgin Islands" By Joe Russell
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932310290/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands" By Nancy and Simon Scott
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0944428959/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  08:05:50  Show Profile
Let me add this color to my post. The guy we are going with lived aboard in the Caribbean before, goes to the BVI pretty much once a year and his name is Johnny Walker. Can it get better?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  11:08:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by davidbloodworth

?..and his name is Johnny Walker. Can it get better?
...only if his last name were Cruzan or Pusser.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  12:16:02  Show Profile
The BVI can be enjoyable, but is overpriced and over crowded. For the most enjoyable sailing charter a catamaran in Belize almost all the time you will be the only boat in the anchorages - uninhabited mangrove cays. You do need to provision well as there are only 3 restaurants in the whole northern half of the island chain.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2014 :  15:31:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

The BVI can be enjoyable, but is overpriced and over crowded. For the most enjoyable sailing charter a catamaran in Belize almost all the time you will be the only boat in the anchorages - uninhabited mangrove cays. You do need to provision well as there are only 3 restaurants in the whole northern half of the island chain.

It doesn't sound like he has the option of changing his friends' plans.

I suspect that he'll figure out a way to have a good time despite all the negatives.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  05:29:42  Show Profile
<< name is Johnny Walker. Can it get better? >>

Wow that does sound like fun... so good to have someone with you that knows the water..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlington
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
196 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  21:24:05  Show Profile
David, Scott has some excellent tips. We just got back from a 7 day land vacation in the Turks and Caicos. It was awesome, as Scott noted, this is the "off season", we went to three different beautiful beaches and shared the beach with one other couple or alone. No crowds, no traffic, no lines, a million stars at night, wonderful sunrises and sunsets, clear water, constant breezes, mild temps, incredible thunder showers (usually far across the horizon). Low crime rates, friendly locals.

The cashier at the local grocery store told me the prices were higher-when you are are in Paradise. You can save big bucks by bringing nonperishable groceries from the US. (think cereal, Mac N Cheese, candy, crackers, peanut butter, coffee, tea, cookies...these all cost 3 to 4 times what you pay at home. Take them in a suitcase, weighing less than 50 pounds, that you can leave there. So you don't have to lug it back

Unbelievable reefs, great snorkeling! Glad you are getting to go. Isn't life wonderful!

Edited by - Arlington on 09/30/2014 21:33:45
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  05:53:09  Show Profile
Is Johnny from Arkansas? I know an old sailor up there with the same name.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  18:24:07  Show Profile
In our week-long charter, we basically circumnavigated Tortola, hitting the various surrounding islands each night. Definitely don't try to cover too much ground, but if you circumnavigate it you want to plan wind and speed to allow you to take a leisurely pace, and still get back in time the last day. 10 days should allow for multi-day stays at some locations. We went counterclockwise to cover the upwind legs first: Trellis Bay, Gorda Sound, Marina Cay, Jost Great Harbor, White Bay (via dinghy), Bight at Norman Island. We had already been to the Baths (twice), Cooper Island (twice), Spanish Town, and the Indians, so we skipped those this time.

If I had 10 days, I would have probably headed up to Anegada for a couple days.

Sounds like OP will be with someone with experience down there, so maybe he could just go along for the ride.
<center>
</center>

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page