Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Introduction
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sreidvt
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/07/2014 :  16:16:52  Show Profile
Hello All,

Thanks for the welcome that has come to me already simply from making a couple of posts on another thread. I'm on the forum because I'm very interested in the 250 WK. Please forgive this long introduction.

I'm 48 and have been sailing since I was 10. From 1976 until about 1986 I did a lot of sailing (on boats ranging from a Sailfish to a Flying Scot) on Lake Champlain.

Then, for reasons of life and travel, I did very little sailing until 2008. Luck and friends brought me to a 20' Mirage 5.5 which got me out on the water again (now with my daughters).

I live in southeastern Vermont which, although beautiful, suffers from an acute lack of lakes. I'm near the CT River but its not great for sailing (this far north). Lake Whitingham and Lake Bomoseen are each about 1.25 hours away from me. For the first three years, I moored the boat on Lake Champlain (which has great sailing) but I could really only sail when I could commit the whole weekend to doing that (because of the travel time). I then tried two years at a dock slip on Bomoseen which was closer but still a long-ish trip each way.

Then, last year, I tried mooring the boat on a little lake in NH. It's tiny but the winds are often good. Best of all, its only 1/2 hour from home. That meant that I sailed more this past summer than I had for many years. I tack a lot but it's fun. Most of the boats on this lake are about 20 ft and under. In fact, one probably wouldn't want anything larger than 23/25 feet on this lake. It's helpful if the boat can turn on a dime.

My current boat, which is a light planing hull design with a swing keel, is a great daysailer. Its moored near a nice beach -- that my daughters and I like -- and I have a dingy docked there. We had so much fun this past summer that I'd like to get a slightly larger boat with a cabin that can serve as sort of a summer cottage. Ideally that means a head with some privacy, room to change into a swimsuit standing up, room to eat a meal below, etc. A true "big boat" would be too large for this little lake and, besides, there are no marinas, no boat lifts, etc. I like trailer sailing but, for me, that really means in and out of the water only a couple of times a year. The boat spends about a week on Lake Champlain and otherwise stays at its mooring.

Like many people I've been looking for that magic combination of trailerability and a livable cabin. It's hard to come by, of course, especially since I'm 6' tall with a long trunk (which means I hit my head a lot on small boats). I need a poptop boat with berths that can fit a tall person.

After lots of reading I seem to have narrowed my list down to two, seemingly quite different, boats: the Rhodes 22 and the Catalina 250 WK. Both have private heads (especially wonderful when guests are daysailing), double berths that should fit a tall person (with decent headroom above) and 6' 4" of standing room under a pop top. The Catalina, of course, is more spacious but also more weight to trailer. Right now I tow with a van that can pull about 4500 lbs. That might work for the Rhodes. For the Catalina I'd need to borrow a good friend's Tundra (which should be possible). It's good for 9000 +.

I recently looked at a 250 WK in Connecticut and was really impressed by the cabin space. Compared to many small cruisers, it was like a studio apartment. Having experienced that headroom it would be hard to accept less. I found that I could easily get in and out of both the V-berth and the rear berth without contortions (what a revelation for a small cruiser). With the pop top, an average size man can actually stand, stretch, etc. I loved it. Of course it was on the hard at a dealer and so I have no idea how it sails. I know the design means high freeboard but I think the space inside might be worth it to me. It's also has a great cockpit and a good one to use as a swimming raft when moored. I found I really liked the open cockpit at the ladder entrance (which should also be nice for my parents when they're getting on and off the boat).

My next step is to try to crew on a 250 WK sometime to get a feel for how it sails. And, to be thorough, I should still look try to see and sail a Rhodes 22. In meantime, I've been devouring this forum when time allows, reading Arlyn's site, etc. I'm already plotting how I might move dual batteries to the v-berth compartment to get the bow down a bit.

My challenge, if I get a 250 WK, will be launching. The lake where I moor has only one public ramp. There may also be a deeper one at the private (small) yacht club but I'd have to check and see if they'd let a non-member use it (for a fee, for the love of sailing or….) There's a long waiting list for moorings at the yacht club, apparently, and I like the mooring I already have. Again, the lake has no marina and no cranes that I know of.

I strap launch my Mirage but it's a swing keel and needs only about 3 - 3.5 feet to launch. I have a large double wheel set up on the tongue to make the trailer a four wheeled vehicle in the water. I'd have to do the same with a 250 WK trailer.

It's so shallow near that ramp that we can't even drop the daggerboard on my daughter's Phantom fully until we get out a bit.

An interesting challenge.

How much depth does one need for the 250 WK with stock trailer? I'm thinking 6' to clear the rear bunks? Or is it 5'?

Open to any thoughts on any of this? I hope I can be of use to people here over time. If I get a Catalina I'll certainly join the association.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by - sreidvt on 10/07/2014 20:48:48

lanie
Deckhand

Members Avatar

3 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2014 :  17:38:48  Show Profile
Hi Sean,

Have you looked at our post in the swap meet forum. It looks like something you might be interested in. 1999 C250. Take a look and see what you think. Let us know.

Lanie

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sreidvt
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2014 :  17:49:08  Show Profile
Hi Lanie,

I did indeed and also ran across the listing on another site. Looks great but I'm not looking to buy until next spring and I'll need a trailer as well.

Best,

Sean

Edited by - sreidvt on 10/07/2014 17:50:49
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2014 :  21:14:44  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
In regards to the question, "How much depth does one need for the 250 WK with stock trailer? I'm thinking 6' to clear the rear bunks? Or is it 5'?"

I think 5 feet will do. But to verify, when I launch this weekend, I will drop a line to take some soundings at the transom, back of the cabin, side stays and bow. I will report my findings Sunday evening.

David

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sreidvt
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2014 :  21:29:44  Show Profile
That would be great. Thanks very much. Are you using the stock trailer?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  17:23:29  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
Sean,

Yes, my trailer is a stock Trail Rite Trailer. Only thing that is not stock is that the tongue extension is has been lengthened by three feet.

Here is a photo of my boat on its trailer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sreidvt
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  14:59:21  Show Profile
Thanks David. That's a good looking boat to my eyes.

I was just at the lake and was reminded that they've been draining it down to do some work on the western shore. It's down by about 3 feet right now. My swing-keel boat is still moored in about 8' water but the area near the ramp is now so shallow that I may need to get the trailer 150' off shore to be in deep enough water to get my boat *out* for the season. Again, this public ramp (the only one) is at the shallowest part of the lake. I'm hoping the yacht club has a deeper ramp and that they'll let me rent time on it. Otherwise we may actually need to tow the trailer out partway by power boat to get it deep enough. Getting it out should be fine but getting it far enough in will be the trick.

Crazy stuff.

Cheers,

Edited by - sreidvt on 10/10/2014 15:00:58
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  17:39:57  Show Profile
Take a lot of pictures or videos and share!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sreidvt
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  17:53:00  Show Profile
Hi Gary,

I know. I was just telling a friend of mine that this has YouTube written all over it. Unfortunately, I'll be in the water and won't be able to hold a camera. I think this approach can work though. The biggest challenge would likely be the trailer tires (all four with my set up) getting mired in the mud. But of course that would at least drop the trailer down a bit. I'm not too worried about getting the trailer back on to land (straps can be very long) but getting out to deep enough water could be the fun part. Fortunately a Mirage 5.5 on a trailer with gear is only about 2000 lbs.

My friend John has a pretty powerful powerboat and likes a challenge.

Then, maybe, there's the yacht club.

Cheers,

Edited by - sreidvt on 10/10/2014 18:05:57
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  18:32:29  Show Profile
Think GoPro mounted on top of the truck looking back!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2014 :  17:03:44  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I did some measuring today, although, not with my boat at the ramp as I had said I would. The weather was not very good today so, I decided not to launch. Anyhow, sitting on the tailer, it is exactly five feet to the bottom of the molded blue stripe above the water line. The actual water line is about three inches below this stripe.

The lake is currently at normal pool (445 above sea level). At this level the water depth at most of the ramp once it levels out is 6 feet. I have absolutely no problem launching at normal pool. When the lake level is 443.5 I have problems getting off the trailer. Below that I am out of luck. So, it appears that I can get my C250WK off the trailer with 4.5 feet of water at the ramp.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sreidvt
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2014 :  05:38:00  Show Profile
That's very helpful David. Thank you kindly. I'll treat 5' as the safe minimum.

Best,

Edited by - sreidvt on 10/13/2014 05:39:19
Go to Top of Page

sreidvt
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2014 :  17:29:22  Show Profile
So hauling out the Mirage 5.5 ended up being less dramatic than expected. The area just at the end of the ramp had been dug out into a sort of pit so that there was about 4' of water in that one area. Beyond that, the water was about 14" deep straight ahead. I dragged the raised keel at first, trying to get lined up, but then found a way to come around from the sides of the "dug out" area and then sort of spun the boat over to the trailer. Still not simple but the boat is out safe and sound. Sadly, I don't think I could have pulled a C 250 WK out there but the lake is not usually lowered like this (the state is doing some work on the western shore).

So, no exciting video but I was able to pull it out without bringing the trailer way out into the lake. Even a smallish power boat was having trouble getting in and out at this ramp today. It will be nice to have the lake back at normal level.

BTW, contacted the local sailing "yacht" club with a polite request to use their ramp for a fee (because of the unusual lake shallowness) and received no reply to my e-mail.

All's well that ends well. Still very interested in the 250 WK.

Cheers,

Edited by - sreidvt on 10/14/2014 17:33:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page