Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Switch Panel + Fuse Block Combo
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rsdavis
Deckhand

Member Avatar

7 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/31/2014 :  10:31:20  Show Profile
Hello all, I am looking to refit most of the electrical systems on my Catalina 25 this winter. Its seems like the convention is to use a switch panel with built in fuses or circuit breakers. However, I would prefer to have a switch panel separate from a fuse block. So, I have been searching for a switch panel that has JUST switches, but I can't find any! All the panels I have found are outfitted with fuses or breakers built in.

Does anyone know where I can find switch panels <i>without</i> fuses or breakers? Or, is there a big reason why you wouldn't want to do this that I am missing? Thanks for your help.

By the way, I am thinking of using a Blue Sea fuse block, link below.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/5026/ST_Blade_Fuse_Block_-_12_Circuits_with_Negative_Bus_and_Cover/featured

-Ryan

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  11:00:24  Show Profile

[url="http://www.wiringproducts.com/switch-panels"]Switches only[/url]

Edited by - redeye on 10/31/2014 11:16:59
Go to Top of Page

rsdavis
Deckhand

Members Avatar

7 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  11:07:03  Show Profile
Thanks for the link Redeye, but it says that "Each switch is prewired with a fuse and fuse holder for added protection." I am just looking for switches, a panel that doesn't include the cost of prewired fuses.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  11:16:08  Show Profile
Sorry.. I missed that... I think the second link had switches only..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  11:18:39  Show Profile
Ohh... I like the colored ones..

http://www.wiringproducts.com/illuminated-round-rocker-switch-panels

Not that these would hold up in salt water...

Edited by - redeye on 10/31/2014 11:19:22
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  11:20:31  Show Profile
http://www.wiringproducts.com/5-position-all-weather-illuminated-rocker-switch-panel.html

Might be the ticket...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rsdavis
Deckhand

Members Avatar

7 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  11:23:35  Show Profile
Oh ok, thanks, I see them. But over 50$ for a 5 switch panel, thats 10$ per switch! I don't understand why its so costly, and I was hoping for a 10-12 switch panel. But thanks for the find!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  11:40:43  Show Profile
yepper.. I would normally just buy the switches and make a panel.

I used a cigar box on my last little sailboat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  19:08:01  Show Profile
Um, why? You could always use 30A fuses in the panel then select the right size inline fuses for your application, like 20A for cabin lights, 15A for nav and anchor lights, 15 A for the VHF and 20A for your stereo. Again, why not have them all together in a simple, easy-to-maintain package?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rsdavis
Deckhand

Members Avatar

7 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2014 :  17:50:25  Show Profile
Voyager: Yeah, I don't see any great benefit to having fuses separate from the switches, other than I like the idea of a modular system design: switch panel for switching, fuse block for current protection.

Redeye: thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the cigar box idea. Maybe I will be able to find a machine shop with a laser cutter and fabricate my own. I've got all winter to figure it out.

Also, for those interested, I've realized that the intended use of those Blue Sea Systems fuse blocks that I linked in the original post is to split one circuit from the breaker panel into multiple, smaller amp circuits to be used on devices which have switches built in (e.g. radio, vhf).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  05:04:47  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; is to split one circuit from the breaker panel into multiple, smaller amp circuits &gt;&gt;

I've run one circuit from a 30 amp fuse at the battery ( not from the existing panel ) to a fuse block like you have pictured. I use it for switched devices, like a radio that needs power at all times or a bilge pump. Some radios and many bilge pumps have wiring for continuous power.

Right now it powers the fish finder, although I need to get a smaller fuse for it...

Edited by - redeye on 11/03/2014 05:07:43
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  10:46:45  Show Profile
Go on Amazon and you will probably find what you want. Some are seperately fused behind the panel. This is where I got my second DC panel and it does have seperate fuses behind. Chief

Edited by - Chief RA on 11/03/2014 10:48:58
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2014 :  15:49:33  Show Profile
Or you could buy a fused panel and replace all the fuses with 30A fuses (dead shorts) and use a separate fuse panel. At sea however that makes for twice as many connections and twice as many corrosion points requiring periodic maintenance. Sailing is about getting out on the water exploring your environment, not effin' around with wires, dykes and shrink tubing!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page