Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Keel Crack Repair
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/03/2015 :  00:46:59  Show Profile
Greetings all, when starting to scrape the paint on my C25, I see a sizable crack in the front of the keel about 1.5 ft from the boat bottom, about 5 in long, not deep at all.
I've been told by some to just paint over it, and others say to re-glass around it by 6" or so building it up to 1/4 or so.

I've worked with glass over the years a lot on autos but not on sailboats. Regarding resin and glass is it ok to use the stuff from auto stores or should I go with what West Marine offers?

Anyone else repair a keel with a similar issue?

And a newbie question - how do I post a pic as part of a post? I've clicked the insert image button but it just inserts:
and I don't see how to input the pic?

Edited by - on

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  05:29:22  Show Profile
ah. google or search for catalina smile. Not uncommon, and I had the same repair on Moe to do several times over. The repair that held for me was using G-Flex. Grind away enough to get a good surface for the new epoxy and bill in with the G-Flex. It is not a structural concern, but do check the keel bolts just in case.

G-Flex cures to a hockey puck like hardness, so flexes with the hull. G-Flex is a west systems product. When Moe returned to the marina after a year away, the repair had held for two years now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  05:33:48  Show Profile
Hello, welcome to the association!

First off, do you have a Fin keel or wing keel? It's helpful when getting information on the forum to have the specs of your boat in your signiture so we all know what you're working with. It sounds to me what your dealing with is the "Catalina Smile". The slight separation of the keel from the hull. I believe if you use the search function you should be able to pull up some threads where others have tackled this exact situation. I've never dealt with it myself so I will wait for those who have to chime in, but it is repairable.
To post photos you can use a hosting website such as photobucket and copy the direct link/url and paste to look like this...

See if that works and welcome!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  09:06:45  Show Profile
how do I post a pic as part of a post? I've clicked the insert image button but it just inserts:
The photo has to be from a photo web site like Flickr or your photo album on the forum. It won't work with photos taken from your computer or phone. I second using G-Flex. It cures without becoming brittle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  17:48:03  Show Profile
About the pics, as I understand it the photo needs to be on the internet as they are on photo sharing sites. Right click the photo and choose 'Properties' then copy the URL. In the forum post paste the URL between the 'Insert Image' symbols that you get from the top control bar.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  21:06:28  Show Profile
Inserting a photo - reminds me of a thread a few years back where I thought I had made up a fake name of a photo website to demonstrate how to include a photo. As [bad] luck would have it, the domain name of the fake photo site was already taken - by a less than family friendly website. Oops!

Here's what I do using my flickr account.

In Flickr when I look at my photo, I get the "sharing" box and I click on that. A dialog box appears and it gives me 3 choices:

HTML , Link , BBCode.
I click on BBCode, highlight the whole thing, paste it onto a notepad or stickynote text page, then look for the string that says:
"https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5145/5375854138_eaf24d2dbb_m.jpg"

In this case it's already formatted with the escape characters for [ img ] so it's almost a no-brainer.

Here's my example: (I inserted the "->" characters to prevent the code from being taken literally, you'll remove them to post your picture).

[->img]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5145/5375854138_eaf24d2dbb_m.jpg[/->img]
In this expression, replace the "farm6.staticflickr...jpg" with your own bulletin board code.

This results in a picture like this:

Clear as mud!!!

Edited by - Voyager on 01/03/2015 21:10:13
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2015 :  09:39:13  Show Profile
Interesting about G-Flex working over a couple of years. I had Limerick's bottom barrier coated and keel faired/smile repaired a few years ago. I should note that my boat spends summers on a mooring therefore taking more wave movement than if on a trailer or at a slip. The smile began to slightly reappear after the first season. Bolts are fine, bilge is dry -- so if I do it again I think I will give G-flex a shot.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page