Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Ice no fun
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/16/2015 :  17:27:07  Show Profile
It's been dropping sleet here all day. Stopped about 4:30. Over 200 non-injury accidents on the roads, and 23 accidents with injury. All flights at the airport cancelled. First time in over 12 years. KY got snow, we got ice. Whatever melted today will freeze tonight, going down to a wind chill of 9, so we're in for more ice-covered roads tomorrow.

I know this is nothing compared to what you guys up in the northeast are dealing with. I'm not complaining, just venting. Couldn't imagine what it must be like to deal with snow piled up 6,8,10 feet high.

Knocked 1/4" to 1/2" of ice off the tarps covering the boat. Let the dog out after she ate a few minutes ago. She left no tracks on the deck, frozen.
I stayed home today and will tomorrow too.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 02/16/2015 17:29:17

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2015 :  04:20:00  Show Profile
My friends up in the mountains, just north of Atlanta said it sounded like bombs going off yesterday afternoon and evening, with ice loading up the trees and branches breaking off.

No problems here in Atlanta. The ground is still warm and air temps are just 31. The DOT spread gravel and brine so the only danger is getting a rock in your windshield.

You get to stay inside and play the guitar.. Enjoy.. I'm at work already. I'd love to see some images from New England...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2015 :  06:42:35  Show Profile
This morning, interstates closed in almost all directions, 8 big trucks jack-knifed in the area. Schools closed in all counties in the middle Tennessee area. Even Metro bus service has been cancelled. Fortunately the sun is shining today so it should warm up enough so the salt/brine can start to work. Unfortunately, more snow and other precip. in store for the rest of the week, as well as low temps overnight, so more slush freezing to ice. Glad I can work from home (preparing income taxes)!

Edit: We were mentioned on the Today! show this morning, worst ice storm in 20 years. Actually, this one is mild compared to the one 20 years ago. We had just bought the house we're in now. We were without electricity for 4 days, but I considered us lucky. I had co-workers who were without power for 2 weeks and no water for a week because the power outage had knocked out their pumping station, too. We had water, and because we had a gas water heater, we could take a hot shower. We used the 2 fireplaces and a kerosene heater to stay warm, and cooked using our camping equipment.

DavidP

Edited by - dmpilc on 02/17/2015 08:16:34
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2015 :  12:47:41  Show Profile
This thread reminds me of an inside sales guy we had in Atlanta over 30 years ago. He became down right indignant that temps had been below 32 degrees three days in a row - while our head office in Cleveland had experienced highs in teens for about a month. LOL

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 02/17/2015 12:48:49
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2015 :  14:18:32  Show Profile
quote:
I stayed home today and will tomorrow too

So exactly whats the problem?
Sorry but not much sympathy since I've been looking at a foot or two of the white stuff since the beginning of the year. Wore out my snow shovel and into my 5th gal of gas for the snowblower.0 to 10 deg temps with the wind blowing 35-45 mph will cut right through you.All in all still better than Boston.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2015 :  20:24:54  Show Profile
As I said, I'm not complaining, and I can't even imagine what it must be like in the Boston to Maine region.
Saw pics on TV today where people couldn't get their house doors open the snow was so high, and building roofs collapsing, so I know it could be a lot worse.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2015 :  22:26:30  Show Profile
Ice is worse than snow... But right here, we have too much of both--alternating layers of ice and snow, where the snow drifted to 4' in places before being covered with ice. I spent some time today breaking and digging ice and snow off some absentee neighbors' heat pump compressors, some of which were completely buried. To get to them, I had to trudge and dig through 3-4' of ice-covered snow. Somebody suggested I didn't read the job description for Condo Board President carefully enough!

I'm glad to hear some Mid-South cities are prepared to spread brine. I was in Atlanta years ago when 8" of snow closed everything, bright sun melted much of it, and then it turned to black ice... Georgians thought it was puddles, and were doing 540s and 720s through the intersection outside of my hotel. There were bangs and crunches every few minutes all night long.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  04:55:30  Show Profile
<< I can't even imagine >>

I can imagine.. and I'd love a few days off... Pray for some snow down here..

And maybe we can see some images of sleeping in a hammock on the beach under some palm trees from Davy

Wind in the trees.... A warm breeze from the South... Carry me home...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  06:02:28  Show Profile
quote:
And maybe we can see some images of sleeping in a hammock on the beach under some palm trees from Davy

Good grief...... I've got three shirts on, in the house. Wife walked the dogs this morning with a scarf and ear muffs on.....

Sure we don't have any snow or ice but it's 49 degrees here. I think the school is closed and some streets are shut down.....

I can get you some images under my palm trees, but I will have long pants on, and a coat or two

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  07:50:16  Show Profile
Scarf and earmuffs in 49 degrees... Hilarious! (That's when we'll be putting on golf shirts!)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  10:35:16  Show Profile
quote:
Scarf and earmuffs in 49 degrees... Hilarious!

Sad part is, the rest of my post is joking, but this part is absolutely true......

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  10:40:06  Show Profile
<< Scarf and earmuffs in 49 degrees >>

Thin Blood from all the Bush Beer

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  11:21:55  Show Profile
I think I see one of Davy's cohorts

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  12:05:16  Show Profile
Just enjoying the good life!

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  16:38:24  Show Profile
Great pic, Scott! Love it. You should add it to you "signature".
But, I bet you didn't stay out there any longer than it took to snap that pic!!

DavidP

Edited by - dmpilc on 02/18/2015 16:39:20
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  17:08:32  Show Profile
We actually made it out today. Got out of our subdivision and the major roads were okay. It never got above freezing but did warm up enough for the salt to have some effect. More snow forecast for Friday, then rain over the weekend.
Dave, it was very nice of you to help your neighbor! Sounds like you guys need to build vented shelters over your compressors/heat pumps.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  21:45:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

...Sounds like you guys need to build vented shelters over your compressors/heat pumps.
I suspect that would just ensure that the blowing snow would get packed in there. Left exposed, the wind can clear the snow around the compressors or drift it over them--you can't predict it.

But I don't lounge in a swimsuit in it either!!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  06:33:12  Show Profile
Great shot Scott!

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  07:01:11  Show Profile
quote:
But, I bet you didn't stay out there any longer than it took to snap that pic!!

Lets make this perfectly clear, Thats not me, I'm not that nuts!

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2015 :  11:01:38  Show Profile
Good to know!

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2015 :  15:37:37  Show Profile
Snow today here in CT with ice in Long Island. Boston is having, what else, more snow! They had some bad icing in TN and WV overnight. Temps will warm here above freezing by the wee hours of Sunday bringing rain. This could be worse than more snow with the possibility of flooding and adding weight to the snowpack on building roofs. This is a scenario that sometimes brings roof collapses.
Wish I were in Dixie right about now - oh right, y'all er having your share of cold and slop too... Maybe L.A.?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2015 :  15:55:15  Show Profile
It's 76 here in Houston right now but we'll have highs only in the low 40's by Monday!

76°F
Last Updated:3:53 PM CST (21:53 UTC)
Heat Index:78°F
Dewpoint:64°F
Humidity:67%
Wind:SSW 13 MPH Gusting To 28 MPH
Pressure:29.86 in Hg
Visibility:10 Statute Miles
Clouds:Scattered at 2900ft
Solid Overcast at 3600ft
Sun Rise/Set:6:58 AM CST / 6:14 PM CST

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2015 :  07:05:35  Show Profile
A photo taken 3 days ago of my Harbor, My Marina is off to the left just out of the photo.

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2015 :  11:19:44  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
"Ice no fun" - That's no joke !

The Anacostia and Potomac Rivers in my neck of the woods are frozen over. While this has happened sometimes in the past, this is the worst that I can recall...especially because I made some errors. I leave my boat in all year round. Our marina has flow agitators and so the ice that may form in some areas of the marina is usually not a problem. The agitators are really there to protect the slips and floating docks as they roll up the stationary poles along the main docks. The boats, those surrounded by ice, the ice is generally not that thick due to the agitator motion but this year, the marina has many areas frozen over and the agitator closest to my boat stopped working. I, unfortunately, forgot to take up my rudder and so my boat and the rudder are frozen in and depending on how things thaw out which is likely to occur this weekend and next week, I am concerned regarding the rudder. Also, I generally leave my outboard in the vertical raised position and in that position, one prop blade sticks into the water...which is also frozen. So...a bit of concern over that as well. The hull...I am pretty sure that will be okay as the ice is probably not solid down that far....but by next week or so....I'll see how everything has made it thru this cold spell.

The good news...well it's warm in my office and at home, no issues with electricity or heat. Who knows...if all goes well, may be sailing again in a week or two or maybe wait awhile longer. As I age, the cold seems to effect me more and not sure if I am willing to take the risks in cold weather as I have in past years. A life preserver does not help out for hypothermia if some catastrophe occurs.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2015 :  15:38:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

...As I age, the cold seems to effect me more and not sure if I am willing to take the risks in cold weather as I have in past years. A life preserver does not help out for hypothermia if some catastrophe occurs.

Nor does being younger.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2015 :  17:29:33  Show Profile
One year, we left the C-22 in the slip and we had a hard freeze. The water froze around the boat. We could walk across the lake between piers about half way out It looked like as the water froze, it lifted up and cradled the boat. no damage. Hopefully, you will experience the same - no damage.
Heck of a pic, Scott!

DavidP
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page