Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Another battery question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

glivs
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/09/2015 :  05:53:21  Show Profile
For years we've motored a few minutes to get out of the mooring field or cross the bay to charge the battery if necessary and over most of that time had a 5 Watt solar charger on continuously. Over those years we never had an issue. Sure by end of the season we might have to add a little water to a couple of battery cells but never saw the plates exposed. We're still running our '89 2-stroke Evinrude (hopefully not for long although its been a good motor). This past fall, we did an extended trip on the heels of a cold front and ended up motoring home when the winds died with the engine at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle - a 2 1/2 day trip. I checked the battery the following day and every cell had apparently boiled the water away to well below the top of the plates.

Question: if motoring over long distances, should I disconnect the battery cables or add a regulator in the line? The battery (Interstate Group 27) is on year 7 but has served us well. It readily took a charge this winter but haven't yet tested how well it still holds. I'm really only concerned in how to treat a newer battery but thought I would ask. Should we expect a newer (and higher output alternator on a 4-stroke engine) to do the same? Any thoughts?

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  06:13:43  Show Profile
The motor should not overcharge the batteries. It has a regulator to prevent this. Once the battery is fully charged then the regulator will will sense this and stop charging the battery just like in your car. Could be that something has gone wrong with your regulator if it is overcharging the battery or your 7yr old battery won't take on a full charge anymore so the regulator senses low voltage and keeps on trying to charge the battery.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  17:02:37  Show Profile
If you take your battery out of the boat and bring it to the local auto parts place, they can usually test it for you. They can tell whether or not it's charging to full voltage and whether it has lost its AH storage capacity. My old battery was fully charged, but quickly discharged under load.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  17:58:04  Show Profile
Thanks guys....I hadn't considered the battery may be the issue, but makes sense. As soon as life slows down, I'll take it in (currently in my garage) to have it checked.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  19:43:12  Show Profile
Losing electrolyte while under power is generally a sign of a voltage regulator problem. Losing it while the battery is idle is generally a sign of an internal short within the battery due to warped lead plates, which can be caused by excessive discharging, excessive charging, or simply age.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page