Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Articles for Mainsheet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/03/2015 :  18:49:10  Show Profile
Attention Forum Members -

I'm looking for articles for the Fall issue of Mainsheet. Reply to this post if anyone would like to contribute. The C25/C250/Capri 25 section of Mainsheet has been very strong, let's keep it up ! Deadline to me has been extended to June 10th.

Thanks,

Brian & JoAnne Gleissner
Knot So Fast
1984 Catalina 25, SR/SK
Traditional Interior
Lake Candlewood, CT

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2015 :  04:21:33  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Seeing as you have brought this subject up, I have following comments. I am not sure if you desire technical articles or featured trip type articles. Perhaps, you desire both. In any case, I have a slight beef with the submitting of articles. In the past, I use to submit technical tips for our Technical Tips Section and perhaps it was just my experience but I had one heck of a time getting the articles to be considered for insertion. First, it seemed I gave them to the wrong forum officer. Then when they were provided correctly, they were put on the backburner for a very long time. Finally, after I inquired, 2 of the 3 or 4 I submitted for the Technical Tips Section finally were issued. But the Technical Tips Section was then updated into a new format about 3-4 months later and while it seemed that most or all of the existing Tech Tips migrated to the new Tech Tips format (that's the present one with the sketch of the Cat 25 and you select the area such as cockpit or bow and it then comes up with those tech tips) - Well my 2 tech tips apparently were zapped out of the Technical Tips Section. I gave up on that endeavor.

Okay - So, now we get to the articles submitted for Mainsheet. I know that thru the years, I submitted at least one article and it was not selected for issuance. No problem ! But then what really irks me is that after one of the times I posted on the bulletin board a picture of an improvement ("Port Side Bunk Extension"), I was directly contacted by one of our editors (I estimate this was about 2-3 years ago) and specifically requested to submit my Port Side Bunk Extension because it was desired for an upcoming Mainsheet submittal.
The result...I A bulletin Board posting indicated something to the effect that too many submitted bunk extensions for including as an article and so the decision was not to publish any !..and I believe what did show up in the next Mainsheet was an article by the editor himself.

Here is my suggestion at least for me. Please review the below link which is my write-up on my bunk extension as it appears on my website.
http://catalina25.homestead.com/BunkExtension.html

If you are interested in it as an article then it's available for use as you see fit. If it is not suitable for an article or does not fit in with plans for subsequent future Mainsheet issues or is not written properly, etc...then that is fine as well.

Also, feel free to peruse the articles that I have on my website and if any you feel have merit for submittal, then feel free to use them as you see fit. If none, no problem. Below is the link for following potential article submittals - "Swing Down Suspended Table w/Shelves",
"Cabin VBerth Hull Fittings Enclosure & Storage Shelf", "Port Side Bunk Extension", "Fishfinder Installation", "Solar Panel Installation" and one or two other items.

http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

But if any you want me to spend time tweaking the words because you feel it would make a good article, then I am willing to do that and would of course allow any addl editing as seen fit (due to my sometimes illiterate writings)....but I certainly would not like interest shown in me working up another write-up and then have it dismissed along with a whole bunch of submittals by others that were similarly asked for a specific write-up and then just dismiss out of a general type statement....like...we decided to use an article on some Catalina 25 that sailed to Mars.

Please do not take this as criticism toward the fine work that all our officers perform. I know it must be a difficult job and it is volunteering your time and then you have to put up with comments like mine, above. However, I felt I needed to express what my concerns have been...it is not with the request like yours above which is a widespread general call for submittals. It is when a "specific" article is requested probably based on an individual's picture posting of an improvement and then when the specific article is provided via EMail (probably a write-up that a forum mener spent a good bit of time writing....then soon after having a bulletin board posting indicate that many similar articles were received and so...therefore none were being published !?

My thinking is that when an article is submitted by one of our members and it winds up being issued...it probably encourages that same individual to submit additional articles for consideration. But the opposite is also true. If one submits articles and they are not issued, then it stifles addl submittals.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va

Edited by - OLarryR on 06/04/2015 04:22:37
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2015 :  09:24:56  Show Profile
A little while ago an article was submitted to David Gonsalves

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Edited by - zeil on 06/04/2015 09:25:33
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2015 :  17:56:48  Show Profile
Hi Larry - Personally I am looking for destination/experiences articles as I am the C25/C250/Capri 25 Association Editor . As for Technical articles, we greatly appreciate them as well and they should be channeled to the appropriate Technical Editor based on the boat (C25, C250, or Capri 25. If you are not sure I will channel the article to the proper person.

Hi Henk - We had an editor meeting the other night and I think David mentioned your article.

Thanks,

Brian & JoAnne Gleissner
Knot So Fast
1984 Catalina 25, SR/SK
Traditional Interior
Lake Candlewood, CT
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2015 :  19:02:22  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Okay - thanks ! I have no real interesting destinations to submit but will consider submitting a tech article.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page