Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Portable Washdown Pump
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

2269 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/05/2015 :  19:26:36  Show Profile
Since I have started anchoring a little more frequently, and am always dealing with heavily caked-on mud even on a small lunch hook, I wanted a washdown system. However, I always try to keep things simple and portable on my little boat, and I really didn't want to create another through-hull penetration. So I decided to make a portable wash-down system. I found this portable submersible pump on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Docooler 12V Water Oil Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump Submersible On/Off Switch Car Van Stainless Steel: Home Improvement

It is designed to be lowered through the bunghole of a drum and run from a wired remote switch while hanging freely. It pumps non-flammable solvents (diesel, etc.), but also water. The specs indicate that it should have enough head to drive a spray nozzle, and my freeboard is about the height of a typical drum. So I thought this had a chance of being a nice little portable washdown system once fitted with a hose and nozzle. For $20 I decided it was worth a try, so I bought one.

Out-of-the box, it comes with battery clips to attach to the lead posts on a battery. My initial dry test indicated that it draws only 1 amp, though I expect that amperage may increase under the load of pumping water. But I it is low enough current that I was able to cut off the clips and attach a 12v plug. I have 12v sockets at various locations on my boat, so I should be able to easily plug it in when I want to use it. Of course, this system could also be a backup bilge pump in case of emergency.

Total cost of the completed project was about $43. Here's a video of my first test with it today (no anchor to wash, unfortunately):

https://youtu.be/dvZSW6J7JaU

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 07/05/2015 19:27:17

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2015 :  05:25:16  Show Profile
Rick: That pump looks great, My pump is getting old so went to Amazon and put one in my cart. Thanks, Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
PORT CHIEF, Bodega Bay Ca.
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2015 :  11:35:15  Show Profile
Ingenious. Thanks for sharing.

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2015 :  19:31:01  Show Profile
We got a chance to test out the pump for the first time this weekend. We anchored for dinner in Veazey Cove (Bohemia River, MD). I used a 8 lb genuine Danforth lunch hook. When I pulled up the anchor, it had about 10 lb. of mud and clamshells. Of course, it was pitch dark out, which complicated things. There's no way that any stream of water (short of full household water pressure) would get all that mud off, so I had to remove the bulk of it with my hand. (Of course, I had left my rubber gloves buried down below.) After going below to wash off my hands and retrieve the gloves, I plugged in the pump and went to work hosing the residual mud off the anchor, chain, and foredeck (where the anchor was sitting).

Had there been daylight I might have been able to spray the chain and anchor before getting them onto the foredeck, but because it was nighttime I needed the deck light to illuminate everything.

Overall, a satisfactory first test.

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to stay on the hook overnight and pulled anchor in daylight the next morning. But alas, my wife had left her toiletries in the car at the marina, so we had to head back to the slip for the night.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page