Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Gooseneck pin size
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

djbano
1st Mate

Member Avatar

67 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/26/2015 :  13:43:58  Show Profile  Visit djbano's Homepage
Back aboard after sailing the port Huron Mac on am Andrews 77. Took sail cover off and watched boom drop to the deck and the pin that holds it to the gooseneck of into the drink. What size is the pin? :(

CYANA
Denver
'98 250 WK TR #372

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2015 :  03:23:51  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I had this same issue on my Cat25. The manuals on this Bulletin Board does not have a parts list for the CAT250 but does for the CAT25. From the drawing it is a bit hard to tell if it is a 1/4" x 1 3/4" or 1/4" x 1 1/2" clevis pin. I believe it is a 1/4" x 1 1/2". That may be the same size for the CAT 250...not sure.

On my CAT25 the previous owner probably needed to replace the clevis pin and what he had was a bolt and self-locking nut in lieu of using a clevis pin. One day, I noticed that the bolt was bent and hanging on by a thread (no pun intended). The nut was gone. When I checked with West Marine, they did not have a clevis pin in the store of the same diameter (1/4") and a length of 1 1/2" or 1 3/4". Checking online, I could buy it but then would have to pay shipping charges for this one clevis pin and ...well I pondered doing that versus replacing it with another bolt and self-locking nut as the PO probably had the same issue and went the bolt/self-locking nut route.

Looking over the boom/mast arrangement, I can see what happens when you do use the bolt and self-locking nut and especially if you get a long length and thread the nut whereby many threads go past the nut - What happens is that after many years of sailing and going with the wind with the main sail all the way out, the threads that go past the nut, hit the mast. After many years, with that continual stress, the nylon in the self-locking nut, deteriorates and eventually the nut falls off. The bolt then works it's way off the boom hinge. Yout then wind up with either a bent bolt/stud or the bolt/stud just falls off. On the other hand, if you size the bolt/stud correctly so that it is not too long, then you minimize the stress of the addl threads past the nut interfering with the mast when running with the wind. Also, when running with the wind, if you keep just a bit of tension on the main sheet not allowing the threads to touch the mast, that is another way to get away with going with a bolt and self-locking nut vs getting the correct part - the clevis pin to the right length. It takes many years for the self-locking nut to give way...so going with it versus the clevis pin is doable and that is what I did. I have had no issues.

Then again, if you want to go with the clevis pin, maybe there is a marine store in your area that has it, otherwise, the cost of it and then shipping.....I just went with another bolt and self-locking nut as did the PO. I am now closing in on 10 years owning my CAT 25. I replaced the bolt and self-locking nut about 3 years ago....so that means that the PO's self locking nut lasted for more than 7 years....and if you just want to change out the nut every 4-5 years, that may also be an easy solution. If you do go with e a clevis pin, Home Depot may also have it but I would ensure it is made of a corrosion resistant matl before going that route.....Obviously, the best way to go is to get the clevis pin from a marine store.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Tahoe Cruiser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2015 :  21:45:14  Show Profile
Wow that's a long answer.

My pin is 3/8" x 1" long. I also had a 5/16" x 1 1/4" and that worked as well. The 3/8 pin is tight and 5/16" loose. Hope it helps.

1998 250 WK/TR #355 "Trail Break"
Lake Tahoe California
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page