Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 new tow ride
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/19/2016 :  20:55:46  Show Profile
SKIP THIS TO AVOID THE HISTORY
The only problem I've had with my various (3) Grand Cherokees is that if they develop a serious issue, it seems to happen a couple of days before I head south. My 1998 died 4 days before I intended to leave in 2008. Fortunately, a local dealer had 2 with the package package I needed and Chrysler had 5 yr 0% interest then. My 2008 didn't die the day before I was leaving, but it did get seriously ill. I had it flat bedded to my reliable dealer for investigation, expecting a major transmission repair. I called the dealer to let him know it was coming. I was told they would work it in and call me back. That was when I discovered that my always reliable dealer had been bought out. I did a quick web search for other dealerships under the same corporate head to see reviews of their service departments. Bad news and too late. 3 of 4 that I found rated 2 of 5 stars. One in Omaha seemed good. Mine was acquired to recently to have reviews. No call back. I called them the next afternoon - still working on it, call you this evening. No call. No call on Sunday of course. Monday morning: We have to replace the starter, $640. (You've got to be kidding, but I have a lifetime warranty with $100 deductible. Oh, "I didn't see anything about that on the system, I'll have to recheck.). The transmission was slipping before it shut down and I thought it might have overheated and some internal computer wouldn't let it start. "Should be done Tuesday." Tuesday night and no call. I'm hoping it will be drivable so I can take it to another dealer that I trust to check the transmission. It has to be a dealer for my Chrysler lifetime warranty.

THE REAL POST:
I was going to get a truck later this year for a major road trip with a slide in camper when Chris retires in 2 years. I don't trust this dealer to give back a Cherokee that will reliably tow to Florida, sooo.... been looking and researching trucks. F150 Supercab, 2.7 ecoboost 145" wheelbase, payload and heavy duty towing package, 7600# towing. To long for 1 parking space, but I'll get used to it. I have to get some miles on it so I can head south. I think that will work with my new 850# trailer or a popup slide in camper.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 01/19/2016 21:21:51

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2016 :  12:18:06  Show Profile
Not easy to find a good STEALERSHIP!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2016 :  15:43:32  Show Profile
That's for sure!. I Got the jeep back and drove it a bit and moved the boat around some. It seems OK and will leave it here for my wife and daughter. They both have Subarus, but Chris's WRX doesn't have much ground clearance for heavy snow. Makes me think of my old Datsun 2000 - the chin spoiler was basically a snow plow. I still can't believe the starter price. An OEM quality after market starter is less than $100, so a Mopar starter is probably $200. Allow 2 hours for labor (it would probably take me longer because it is hard to get to and worm out) and that is still one heck of a markup.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2016 :  22:13:31  Show Profile
You'll like the F150 with Eco-Boost. The company I work for has a bunch of them.

Because it's turbocharged be sure you let it idle at least a couple of minutes before you shut it off. Especially if you come off the freeway and park pretty quickly after exiting. If you don't it will kill the turbo over time. The turbo is turning at a very high RPM when your're on the freeway and it takes a couple of minutes for it to stop. Shutting the motor off stops the oil flow around the bearings so if you shut it off too soon the rotor is still turning with no oil flow to cool the bearings. That plus the high temperature turbos run at causes it to "coke" the oil in that area and over the years the oil flow will decrease until the turbo stops rotating freely.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 01/22/2016 22:14:04
Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2016 :  09:41:01  Show Profile
What boat are you towing with a jeep. When we first got our 25 I towed it with a Gand Cheroke over the Altomont pass to San Francisco bay. I swore, never again. We got a one ton after that and recently raised that to a 3/4 ton diesel. A smaller truck can move it,but I wouldn't go any distance especially if you will encounter any steep hills.

Matt/Brigitte Loeffler
E.C. Rider 5411
Cat 25 86'
FK/SR _/)
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2016 :  14:00:55  Show Profile
I towed my C-25 with Grand Cherokee V-8's + tow package with no problem for years. 7K towing capacity with the last one and towing a little over 6K. I only tow 2,000 mi. a year, don't really enjoy driving a truck, and don't like the gas milage when I'm not towing. I don't notice much difference with the truck, other than the obvious with 380 ft/lb of torque @ 3000 rpm and slightly better gas milage towing with the ecoboost. The G. Cherokee had adequate, but a little less torque that peaked @ 4000 rpm, big difference. I might even beat the Jeep's normal mid twenties milage as the truck wears in and I continue to finesse my driving style. The high tech ecoboost series represent an exciting direction for engines. The twin turbos engage early and require some adaptation to drive economically. PIA to park and manuever a 145" wheelbase. But, I'll need a truck in a year or so, and its done now. I would have considered a Ram diesel, but its either a basic work truck or a $60k luxury package like the Grand Cherokee diesels.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2016 :  07:08:59  Show Profile
Yes, my grand cherokee had more than enough power, but the mass of the boat on trailer made for a scarry ride. The bigger truck makes it feel like you are towing a dingy, rather than the boat swinging you. We got the Ram diesel with the big 4doors, the back saet is spacious. Got the most basic modle with standard transmission. Love it.

Matt/Brigitte Loeffler
E.C. Rider 5411
Cat 25 86'
FK/SR _/)

Edited by - MattL on 02/10/2016 07:11:32
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2016 :  09:06:09  Show Profile
As I mentioned, I'm not really a truck guy and needed a little more luxury (not much) and a little more than that to satisfy the Admiral. The mid-level package with nice seats and the passenger lumbar support Chris needs, basically similar to my G.C. Laredo Rocky Mtn edition. I was never even marginally uncomfortable with the boat in tow with the Jeep, but I will say that the G.C.'s electronic sway prevention was much more responsive, at least sway never became noticeable before the system adjusted for it. I can say that sway became significant with the F-150 before it compensated. I induce these conditions in safe environments before taking a new vehicle/tow over the road so I know what to expect. What I foolishly did not do was verify my tongue weight with the new trailer. That is on the short list when I pull Pearl for the trip home. So, as always, the best tow vehicle is the one you are comfortable and happy with.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2016 :  20:13:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

. . . What I foolishly did not do was verify my tongue weight with the new trailer. That is on the short list when I pull Pearl for the trip home. So, as always, the best tow vehicle is the one you are comfortable and happy with.

This reminds me of the time we did an informal survey of the tow vehicles in our marina (that towed C25s.) Well over half had underrated hitches.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 02/11/2016 20:14:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page