Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Running lights blow fuse
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slim
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/02/2016 :  16:46:15  Show Profile
Here is one for the books! You just never know what kind of mischief the PO’s have done to your boat. My running lights when turned on would burn out the fuse in less than a minute and i spent a lot of time chasing down the problem by tracing the wiring all the way from my new electric panel forward and aft. As it turned out when i pulled the forward fixtures off of the boat and removed the bulbs i found that one of the bulbs had been replaced with a single pole bulb like you would use on a auto and the ground was due to that bulb. Once i replaced it with a double pole light i did not have the ground any longer and my lights work perfectly. Of Course all the seals and gaskets on the lights were trash and i am replacing them with butyl tape but i did not have to replace my wiring the old stuff is still good.

Single an double

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2016 :  19:59:51  Show Profile
Good catch! In other words, the single, centered contact on that bulb contacted both the + and - terminals in the base of the socket, creating a direct short from + to - without going through the filament. Fortunately, the short was strong enough to blow the fuse before a fire started, because it could have.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2016 :  20:50:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Good catch!

I thought so, too. I probably would have replaced the fixtures and wiring and fuses and master panel, and never noticed that there was one contact on the bulb and two in the fixture!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2016 :  07:34:25  Show Profile
I'm always amazed at what dumb things PO's do. Never bothered or didn't even know to see if It was a single or dual contact bulb. Hey It looks the same so....

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2016 :  12:36:18  Show Profile
Sometimes we jury rig something in an urgent situation and forget to correct it later; of course regularly blowing fuses seems like it might be a reminder.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2016 :  16:02:15  Show Profile
Slim,
The smaller bulb that is supplied with the hull mounted lights draws about .7A and, I always felt, is barely visible even at night. The last time I replaced mine I used one of similar size as the single contact light (BA15s) you show in your picture but with dual contacts. (BA15d) These draw about 1A each but are significantly brighter. The fuse in my fuse panel was a 3A fuse which was sufficient for two of the .7A bulbs and my stern light. However when I used the higher current bulbs it was not which I found out the hard way about 4:00 AM one morning. I replaced the 3A fuse with a 5A fuse and it has worked fine since. The larger current bulbs are a nice and inexpensive upgrade.
http://www.bulbs.com/product/1004?RefId=567

Joe Wergers
Utopia
Fleet 7/Oceanside, CA
78 C25 FK/SR #381
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2016 :  13:16:13  Show Profile
Why not go with LED bulbs ?
They are brighter , use less power and last far longer.
I think I'll be changing out all the lights on my boat this season with LEDs. Especially the inside lights. The fixtures are obsolete. Although most of them work, the bulbs have rusted in place and can't be replaced if they burn out.
I'll be replacing the bulbs in the running lights with LEDs as well. This was imperative in my old Catalina 22 because I had no way of charging the battery once I left the dockside power source. My Cat 25 has an inboard diesel and dual batteries, so I can charge the batteries underway, but still, using less juice is important.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2016 :  16:02:03  Show Profile
Keep in mind the LEDs put out a very narrow spectrum of light and a white LED behind a red or green lens may well not meet range requirements. CG certification is for a light+housing assembly.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page