Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Help requested for rigging spinnaker sheets
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seahawk
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/14/2016 :  18:47:20  Show Profile
Hello,
I'm a new CP 25 owner, and am looking for some help from one of you successful class racers. I am looking for some photos or diagrams of how you CP 25ers typically run spin sheets and barber-hauls (some like to call tweekers) My boat came completely de-rigged, and no other CP 25s racing in area.

My boat has lots of blocks for the toe rail and a bunch of cam-cleats, etc on the cabin top. Trying to leverage prior experiences and not re-invent my rig. I have the foreguy and pole lift all set, and have extensive experience with symmetric spins, so no help needed there, just looking for the system most of you use with your sheets. (I'll be back for CP 25 trim tips in the near future)

BTW, with only 2-one hour sails ever on the boat, I entered the local frostbite series, and placed 4 of 8 and 4 of 9. (Frostbite is non-spin.) Although we raced one class, I beat all of the B & C class boats yesterday, including a couple J-70s (all on corrected time) This thing is pretty darn quick, at least in light air, and mine is a pretty beat up boat, but with really nice sails.

Thanks!
Seahawk

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2016 :  19:35:29  Show Profile
Jeff,

It would help if you update your Forum profile with your details.
Things like where you are located and your boat year, etc.

There are several Capri-25s in Minnesota, our former Mainsheet Capri-25 is in Ohio, and there are a few Capri-25 at our club in Northern California.
I don't own a Capri-25, but there are a few folks around.

Check out our Photo Gallery, there should be a few Capri-25 photos there.

Thanks, Russ

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Seahawk
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2016 :  20:40:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

Jeff,

It would help if you update your Forum profile with your details.
Things like where you are located and your boat year, etc.

There are several Capri-25s in Minnesota, our former Mainsheet Capri-25 is in Ohio, and there are a few Capri-25 at our club in Northern California.
I don't own a Capri-25, but there are a few folks around.

Check out our Photo Gallery, there should be a few Capri-25 photos there.

Thanks, Russ

Russ,
My profile is current, along with boat, and location. (I did lie about being 100yrs old).

Unable to find photos of spinn sheet rigging.

Tnx, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2016 :  22:35:56  Show Profile
Jeff,

So you're in Maryland.
It's much easier to visit someone's boat than to rig it from photos, but you knew that.
Let me check to see I can get you some help or find some photos.

You can try this link and send a forum email to each of the sailors.
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28508

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 03/14/2016 23:43:01
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2016 :  17:27:03  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I personally never rigged twings for my boat... I instead used blocks on the toe rail (outboard spin tracks). If I needed to choke off the spin, I slid the spin blocks up the track, but never further than the furthest forward spot on the track (right about even with the coach roof).

Oh, you wanna make the foreguy work better for you, instead of leading it to the middle of the foredeck, put a block at the foot of the mast to control it (then when you rock the spin port to starboard, you don't need to adjust the foreguy/top lift).

Up until about 15 knots true, no need to twing down (close the leach/choke).

Now if you are already familiar with sailing under symmetrical spin, you likely are more knowledgeable about trimming the spin than I.

Downwind the Capri likes you to sail as deep as you can. DDW, and slightly off DDW will be fastest, and you'll beat most of those crazy sprit boats, boat for boat... yep you heard me BOAT FOR BOAT.

Now, if you gotta reach fest, they are gonna EAT YOUR LUNCH. UPWIND, they will eat your lunch. You can prevent losing too much ground to them, if you stop trying to point with them, again upwind. I found ticking off about 2-3 degrees from say a J/24, or S2 7.9, B25, melges 24, or similar slightly faster boats, allowed you to make up for VMG loss, somewhat.

I also called twings/tweakers, barber-haulers, and I had an old salt correct me once that barber haulers are exclusively for hauling sheets/guys OUTWARD, as in you are downwind, need to ease the genoa sheet, a barber hauler, will PULL the sheet further out, opening the leach.

Here is a (rare) good spin trim picture... actually the pole could be higher

Here is a closer shot of the blocks on the outboard I used "like" twings... Yep the leeward side gets the bock slid back (and yes this is not slid back and its the leeward side, but you get the gist)... It's slow but it works.

Kudos for Russ for reminding me that this forum is sometimes actually visited by Capri owners.

WYC folks are your Capri 25 experts. Worthwhile to join their list server too.

I've backed off of the Capri 25/Cat 25 forum, because I'm now on my second year with an S2 7.9. The S2 is not a "better" boat, just different. I'm still learning to appreciate the "fluffy/comfy" aspects of the boat. This boat doesn't heat up like the Capri 25 did, and in a lot of ways isn't as much fun to drive. It IS however, significantly faster on all OTHER points of sail, except downwind. The Capri 25 is by far and away the most interesting boat downwind I've been on (and yes I've been on the Melges 24, and B25s now). I truly believe DDW, the Capri 25 can beat them ALL boat for boat. Until its time to plane... YES I had the Capri 25 up to 10 knots under spin, and it gets tricky to hold it under the spin. They don't call it a broach coach for nothing.

If you have specific questions feel free to email me shnool at yahoo

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Edited by - shnool on 03/15/2016 17:40:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page