Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Replacing the battery
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frejoh
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/17/2016 :  13:44:37  Show Profile
The original wet cell battery which came with our boat grows weaker.
What advice do y'all have on a replacement, in particular wet cell vs. dry cell vs. gel mat, etc., and smart alternatives, like a good auto or truck battery?

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2016 :  15:13:56  Show Profile
Replaced mine last month with a wet cell Group 24 deep cycle. I talked to the folks at the local Interstate Batteries shop and based on my minimal requirements that works for me.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2016 :  17:11:40  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
My boat had two Group 27 wet cell batteries when I bought it. Not sure how old they were at the time. I imagine relatively new. I got five years service out of them and went through the same debate of what to replace them with. Ultimately, I went back to two Group 27 Wet Cell batteries. I bought them at Batteries Plus (nothing special).

I have one year on them now and am very pleased. They are trickle charged throughout the week via a 2.5 watt solar panel and my outboard for the short time I run it each weekend.

That's my two cents!

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2016 :  21:15:21  Show Profile
I think that the trays in our boats are sized for a Group 24 inside the required plastic box. I see no reason to go with anything other than traditional wet cell. Deep discharge should be fine since our starter motors draw pretty low amps. Not much cranking amps needed, and deep discharge will last longer.

You can significantly extend your battery's lifetime by purchasing two identical batteries and hooking them up in parallel. For any given use, your discharge will be half as much, which will extend the life of the plates. I mounted my second one under the stairs.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2016 :  13:02:16  Show Profile
My C250-Water Ballast (2004) came with a Group-24 Deep-Cycle.
Since the outboard is pull start, no don't need a Starting battery (standard wet-cell).

At my club, there is a C250-Winged Keel with an original Group-27 Deep-Cycle.

I'm not sure if the difference in the batteries is the Model or the Year.
I can't imagine the usage would be any different between the models.

If you boat has one of the rare in-boards, then you would need a starting battery, and most likely a second house battery.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5238 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2016 :  09:48:07  Show Profile
I have a C-25 and I'm sure my battery box is sized and configured differently than a C250, however I went from a Group 24 to a Group 27 and I'm seeing significant additional battery life on a charge even after an overnight with cabin lights, anchor light, music system, C-PAP and VHF running.
Wet cell for me was best value for money.
In the case of a theoretical capsize, while spilled electrolyte would be an issue, it would probably be one of the lesser problems to deal with - is my guess. Can't imagine another scenario where battery fluid would leak out of the battery compartment.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2016 :  08:08:20  Show Profile
I went to Walmart 3 or 4 years ago. Still meets the need.

John Russell
1999 C250 SR/WK #410
Bay Village, Ohio
Sailing Lake Erie
Don't Postpone Joy!
Go to Top of Page

frejoh
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2016 :  14:33:41  Show Profile
The solar trickle charger sounds like a great way to keep the charge up, since we don't often go sailing or run the outboard a lot. What sort of charger works well? Is the set-up complicated? Looks like there are some inexpensive chargers out there.

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2016 :  06:21:19  Show Profile
I use a Solarex 10w solar panel for my group 24 battery, permanently mounted on a bracket on the stern rail. It was installed by the PO, the receipt says it cost $150 in 1999. It is directly wired to the battery.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page