Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Blooper on a Capri 25?? !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seahawk
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/18/2016 :  08:17:32  Show Profile
Capri 25 sailors,

As I am researching my new-to-me Capri 25, and read the Haarstick Sailmakers Tuning Guide 2001, posted on this site under "Manuals & Brochures". On page 6, it discusses using a Blooper!

Do any of you out there actually have one of them? I have been unable to find any photos of one on a Capri 25, and no other references.

I know bloopers well, have used them, and understand their very limited benefits, and limitations. If you google "blooper" with "sail" you well get a host of articles about how worthless the are. Perhaps all true, but the articles miss one important point, but they do look REALLY cool!

Would love to see a picture of one on a Capri 25, or find a used one just to throw up some day when the mood strikes.

Anyone?

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2016 :  05:49:12  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I honestly don't think the Capri "requires" a blooper. With the point of a blooper being to stabilize the oscillations inherent in high(er) winds running dead downwind.

The Capri sails significantly deep downwind up until about 15 knots true, then its just better to crack off a bit from DDW and run the angles game for VMG. You likely are also changing down chute size at that point.

I agree it'd be fun JUST to see how fast you can make the wide pig get right at 15 knots true. I suppose if you get the WHOLE crew standing on the stern to keep the rudder in the water, you MAY be able to get the boat to plane, just before the lines become a wholly tangled mess with a fantastic broach.

A friend with an S2 7.9 has a blooper, and keeps threatening to launch it. I haven't got the heart to tell him that on his fractional rigged boat, it's nearly pointless. If he was running a masthead kite it might work OK... He also might just snap the top 4 feet of his mast. So of course being the friendly competitor that I am, I encourage to USE the Blooper every time he mentions it :)

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2016 :  13:36:31  Show Profile
Not trying to steal this thread...John, I tried emailing through the association a couple of weeks back. Just bought a Capri 25 and would like to pick your brains a little. If you're up to helping out, please email me at tcurran32766 at gmail dot com.
Thanks
tc

Seahawk,
I'm feeling your pain of not a whole lot out there for our "new" boats. Good luck and feel free to start a conversation via the email above.
tc

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2016 :  18:05:18  Show Profile
Just for fun, here's a link with some good Blooper photos.
http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2016/03/17/when-bloopers-ruled-the-seas

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2016 :  10:58:18  Show Profile
Great pics, thanks Russ

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2016 :  20:28:07  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Tom, I think I responded, not sure... I'm shnool at yahoo

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page