Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 outhaul wire
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Member Avatar

71 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/26/2016 :  17:28:58  Show Profile
my outhaul line is currently the stock setup with a 2:1 purchase inside the boom, which has a 5/16" line running outside, with a short piece of 7x19 3/32" wire connect through the end of the boom to the sail.

does this short piece of wire need to be wire? Since i've got the boom in pieces i was thinking of upgrading to a higher purchase, but i'd like to alleviate the wire and maybe use a short piece of vectran.

the 7x19 wire looks like it's a little less then 3mm probably 3/32" wire which WM shows as 1760 breaking, 3mm V12 single braid vectran shows 1900 breaking. Even if my micrometer is a little off, i think we're still in the zone for breaking strength, is there any other reason this should be wire?

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2016 :  17:59:49  Show Profile
I'm a C25 guy, but isn't a few inches of the end of the outhaul exposed to sunlight, where it attaches to the clew? Vectran is degraded by UV. Stainless is not.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2016 :  05:26:28  Show Profile
Ah, yes, good point.

However, according to New England Ropes

"Very little degradation from sunlight. Can be used outside over long term if inspected regularly."

I might still go rope instead of wire, just because of my utter distaste for wire (been snagged/cut/poked too many times)...
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2016 :  20:48:04  Show Profile
I'm a little surprised by a wire out-haul on a C-25--never seen or thought about it. Mine was some nondescript double-braid rigged for 2:1 purchase. That and my newer Krypton halyards withstood plenty of UV--the core of double-braid is protected from it and takes the load.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2016 :  04:42:46  Show Profile
Obviously I don't like being snagged by a wire, but I have always considered it a clear warning that the wire needed to be replaced. I've found that as soon as I replace the broken wire, I don't get snagged anymore. I'd rather get a little snag than have the wire fail suddenly and without warning under load.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page