Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Level?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/30/2016 :  16:58:53  Show Profile
Is there a spot on the boat, for example the cockpit seats or cabin hatch, that is level to the water line fore-and-aft?

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

Edited by - doublereefed on 10/30/2016 17:52:21

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2016 :  19:02:40  Show Profile
Certainly not the cockpit seats or sole--they are meant to drain to the transom. (Although swing keel owners have found that it doesn't always work with the keel down, which makes its CG is further forward). What are you trying to determine? Do you have a carpenter's level? That would show what's level to the true waterline.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2016 :  20:39:22  Show Profile
When I had my C250, I determined that the cabin sole was level with the exterior waterline stripe when measured in the cabin on the centerline right at the sink cabinet.

I determined this while on the hard using a laser level. I adjusted the boat stands so that the waterline stripe was perfectly level, then verified that the cabin sole was level.

As I've mentioned in other threads, it is important to store the boat perfectly level to ensure proper drainage past both the foredeck and companionway hatches. This is important in the slip as well as on the hard.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 10/31/2016 07:18:34
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2016 :  21:07:54  Show Profile
Rick, exactly the info I am looking for. Thank you so much.

Dave, I'd like to adjust the rig while on the trailer. If I can make the boat level, per Rick's info, I can use the main halyard to get a datum for mast rake and start working from there. The PO cranked down the FF2 forestay so tightly that the mast bent forward from the spreaders up. I didn't notice it until I was working on dropping the rig. So, that's what I'm up to... in addition to trying to store it level per Rick's advice.

Thanks to you both.

Best,

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2016 :  06:38:07  Show Profile
Richard: Sorry, I didn't notice you were posting in the C-250 forum--my statement about the keel refers to the C-25 swing keel, not the C-250 centerboard. I need to be more observant.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2016 :  07:38:27  Show Profile
quote:
I adjusted the boat stands so that the waterline stripe was perfectly level

Going by the boot stripe could be misleading. Many will look at their boat sitting in a slip and the boat may appear nose down or stern down. This is caused by the boot stripe not being level with the "true" waterline causing an optical illusion. I don't think Catalina got the boot stripes dead on even with the true waterline. You can get the boat close to level on the hard to adjust the mast but not perfect. You really have to sail the boat to fine tune the mast. Take it out and see what kind of feedback the helm gives you then adjust the mast to compensate. You may have to do this a few times to get the helm feeling just right.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2016 :  08:04:59  Show Profile
Those who are familiar with this boat realize that when the boat is level, the companionway hatch slants a couple of degrees aft (draining into cockpit) and the gutters around the forepeak hatch slant a couple degrees forward (draining into anchor locker). True level occurs only when both of these hatches drain properly. Failure to do so will result in one or the other hatch leaking into the cabin.

In my boat, the waterline stripe was true, providing proper drainage of both hatches.

The wing keel models are known to ride bow high, leading to a leaking forepeak hatch unless something is done to bring the boat level. I chose to add ballast to accomplish this. There are many posts on this topic here, from me and others.

The water ballast model is believed to ride differently due to different weight distribution.

Note also that Catalina modified the wing keel at least once during the production run. Different wing keels could cause the boat to float differenly.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page