Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 How To Get Honey Teak Color Under Varnish?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/23/2017 :  15:20:43  Show Profile
I'm decided to try a clear marine varnish instead of Cetol because I wanted the wood to be brighter colored and more grain to show. I stripped the Cetol Original from my hatch boards, sanded as per the instructions on the varnish can, and applied the first coat of varnish. I'm using Helmsman Spar Urethane High-gloss Varnish.

I'm not happy with how the varnish seems to darken the wood. I was hoping to maintain the color of the naked teak, just shiny, something you might describe as a bright "honey teak" color. Can anyone offer any advice as to how to get this effect? Should I try sealing the wood with a clear epoxy before applying the clear varnish?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2017 :  17:15:46  Show Profile
I use the Helmsman Spar varnish in gloss also. I never cared for the orange look of Cetol nor the cost and multiple steps. I don't think there is a sealer that won't darken the wood but I would recommend not using epoxy. That could be very difficult to remove in the future. I think the wood looks fine, like oiled wood with a gloss. Again I don't think It's possible to apply a liquid to the wood without it getting darker.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2017 :  20:18:09  Show Profile
I had used the darker Cetol color in the past. It was totally darkened. This year I completely stripped the teak and used "Natural" color Cetol. I later found out that you should use the gloss cover coat to "finish" the treatment. Apparently it hardens up the finish. I'm going to buy a quart and try thinning it out, then go over the material with a "dry brush". I might try some rub-on clear Polyurethane instead...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2017 :  08:27:40  Show Profile
There is a product known as "Honey Teak". It is a bit expensive compared to other products but Practical Sailor did a comparison test many years ago and found it lasted far longer than any other finish (including varnish) We used it on the Big Cat and after 5 years it still looked as if it had just been applied.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2017 :  19:16:33  Show Profile
Thank you, Scott, Bruce, and Derek, for the info.

At the link below, you can see two photos showing the difference in the wood. The spar varnish looks nice, but to my eye makes the wood look more like oak than teak.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0ZGY8gBYGDzjvP

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2017 :  05:34:11  Show Profile
Seth, That's what 30yr old teak looks like naturally. Teak will darken with age and another factor is where it was sourced. New teak from a different region might be lighter. You could talk to a wood refinisher about how to lighten wood with brighteners or bleach if its possible. I like the teak to have character with the darker grains and deep red tones vs the orange mono look of Cetol. I haven't seen the clear Cetol yet so I can't comment on that. Heres a pic of my wood and it looks to be the same as yours if not darker. The boat was ready for Sandy so overlook the tape.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2017 :  06:19:10  Show Profile
To accentuate the grain, you're going to make it darker. To keep from making it darker..... well, Cetol. (Natural Teak is less orange and a little less "milky".) Cetol Gloss is meant to be a top-coat on one of their other finishes, which are all satin finishes with UV protection of some sort. Gloss provides no UV protection on its own. Semco also offers some finishes that don't seem to darken teak--in fact one that some friends use make the teak look almost classic gray.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2017 :  07:00:39  Show Profile
I agree with Dave on the natural teak. However it tends to accentuate the yellow tones in the teak as opposed to red tones like classic Cetol. To get honey you might prefer Tung Oil with or without a top coat of varnish. Semco is a good alternative but you will have to refresh it once or twice a year, depending on your climate.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page