Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Is This A Good Choice For A Spinnaker?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/31/2017 :  10:19:59  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triradial-spinnaker-/332242970750?hash=item4d5b39687e:g:TBYAAOSwt0FZBOef&vxp=mtr

I'm looking to add a spinnaker to the boat. I just want one general purpose spinnaker, hopefully one I can sail close to a beam reach with(I think the foot may be too small on this one to sail that close to the wind).

I don't have a big preference whether it's asymmetrical or symmetrical.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2017 :  13:08:35  Show Profile
James,

That one might be perfect for you, but do you have the dimensions of the sail? It should match the boat. An asymmetrical spinnaker like that needs no pole and other special lines to fly it, so it is more convenient for cruising.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2017 :  13:29:36  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
I asked the seller if they had any further information on the sail.

The post only lists:

LUFF: 29' 6"
FOOT: 15' 2"

I don't know for sure if it's an asymmetric spinnaker or not, but I think it is.

I think I would fly it by attaching a wide D shackle to the front hole on the stem fitting in front of the forestay and attaching a block to that shackle for the tack line. Temporarily I would probably cleat the tack line to anchor cleat at the bow.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2017 :  16:53:20  Show Profile
Sounds like a standard or symmetrical spinnaker. The luff and leech on an asym would have different measurements. That means adding a pole, pole topping lift and pole downhaul if you don't already have one, and the additional hassle. Remember also that an asym cannot sail direct downwind efficiently.

Edit, sorry, didn't look at the pic first. That is definitely a symmetrical spinnaker.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 05/31/2017 16:55:03
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2017 :  09:22:59  Show Profile
A couple of thoughts here.

I have had luck flying a spinnaker with just a ~3' line from the tack at the bottom of the forestay and one sheet. (Halyard also, but skipped the pole.) It doesn't get the same deep downwind performance, but works fine for apparent wind angles in the ~90 to ~120 degree range. Heartbeat used to run 7 knots in that configuration in 12 knots of breeze when out pleasure cruising.

That's a triradial sail, so yes, it's symmetrical.

$375 for a patched sail seems a bit steep to me. Heck, I have a virtually new one over in the swap meet that I just lowered to $500.

The size is a little small for a C25. Should work fine, though. Heartbeat used to run a J24 kite for many years, and those numbers look very close to the my recollection of the J24 kite.

The ad is wrong about the sail weight. There is no way that is 7.5 oz cloth. I am guessing they mean it's 0.75 oz nylon, but I can't tell from the pictures.

Matt

former Captain of Heartbeat
Catalina 25 Tall
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2017 :  13:21:27  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
Thanks HeartBeat,

Can you elaborate a bit more on the ~90 to ~120 range?

If I can only fly the spinnaker at ~90 AWA or greater, then I am probably going to opt for something that will get me closer to the wind like ~70 AWA.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2017 :  14:04:18  Show Profile
To get to 70 degree apparent, you are looking for an assymetrical. I looked into buying one at one time. (Back when I was racing Heartbeat semi-seriously I looked into anything to go faster or get a better rating. I never did.) I could pinch the J24 kite a bit more than I could pinch the full size kite. The full one is hard to really get better than 85 consistently. The assym is a really specialized sail, and the fat hull and thick foils didn't really justify it. I looked into it mostly for the 3 second bonus, and then would have had multiple certificates for which sails were being used on point to point races and wind directions.

I would recommend you read up a bit. Here are a few links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetrical_spinnaker
https://northsails.com/sailing/resources/code-sails-defined
http://www.yachtingworld.com/features/how-to-choose-the-right-asymmetric-spinnaker-68317

I will tell you my solution for going fast at 70 apparent in a C25: the 155. It's also easier to handle, and if you are trying to hold a heading, you are set for shifts. YMMV. -Matt

former Captain of Heartbeat
Catalina 25 Tall
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2017 :  14:57:56  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
Heartbeat,

Both Symmetric and Asym spins can be made with a tri-radial panel layout.

According to Doyle's site, they have a symmetric spinnaker that can go to 55 AWA...

http://www.doylesails.com/racing/downwind/symmetric.html

I guess it's really just rolling the dice on how the spinnaker was designed in this case since the person selling it probably doesn't know much about it or they'd have listed it in the description.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page