Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 A few questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/29/2017 :  13:46:49  Show Profile
Doing some mid year maintenance and upgrading, looking for thoughts on the following.

1) Main halyard to cockpit. I have the right mast plate. What are the best blocks what rating lb wise. and Which sheaves. do you just terminate with a cleat or do you you cam cleat and cleat. I want to do this right.

2) I have a Tohatsu 9.8 and im getting bruised :) reaching through stern rail and transom to shift back and forth and adjust speed. would like to have speed control and F/R in cockpit but like my wood tiller. So I can relax in the starboard corner. can you get good controls that arent an eye sore. Or a nice looking tiller mount control. Steering seems less important because we have the rudder control

3) last I bought a new sail and three reefing points but I have no boom vang to control sail tension on boom. I have an outhaul and cunningham but noting in for tension on Leech. the boom just lifts If I tighten halyard. I need more sail shape control on broad reach and downwind sailing. Also does a preventer really help with accidental Gybes It seems like life would be a lot easier if I added one. Is there a good inexpensive set up you could buy . Not to make it more complicated but I also lost my pigtail of the backstay for my boom. I jury rigged a line from the backstay circle, Whats the best way to handle the boom when raising the sail and taking off the pigtail. can you ignore it until y our underway then let it loose?

Thanks for any advice

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album

Edited by - Captmorgan on 07/29/2017 13:47:34

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2017 :  15:35:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Captmorgan

I have no boom vang to control sail tension on boom. I have an outhaul and cunningham but noting in for tension on Leech. the boom just lifts If I tighten halyard. I need more sail shape control on broad reach and downwind sailing.
IMO, a boom vang is essential on a C25. Downwind, the boom lifts, as you have seen. I'd recommend you add one.

quote:
Also does a preventer really help with accidental Gybes It seems like life would be a lot easier if I added one. Is there a good inexpensive set up you could buy.
A preventer does help. When sailing downwind in light air, you can rig a simple preventer with an ordinary piece of light line. For example, you could tie the line around the boom, lead it forward to either a stanchion base or the base of the aft lower stay. Tie the line to that point with a slipknot. Then lead the line back to the cockpit. When you want to gybe, pull on the line. That will release the slipknot, and the boom will be free to swing across to the other side. I'm not a particular fan of preventers on small boats in strong winds and especially in choppy seas. Those conditions cause a small boat to become difficult to steer, and to slew around and become uncontrollable. Often people (especially racers) are carrying too much sail area in those conditions, and a preventer can cause a knockdown. My suggestion is to try it in a variety of conditions, and see if it works for you.

quote:
Not to make it more complicated but I also lost my pigtail of the backstay for my boom. I jury rigged a line from the backstay circle, Whats the best way to handle the boom when raising the sail and taking off the pigtail. can you ignore it until y our underway then let it loose?
If you raise the mainsail while the pig tail is still attached, and the boat isn't perfectly head-to-wind, the sail will fill and the boat will heel, and the pressure on the sail will make it hard to unclip the pig tail. It isn't the worst thing that'll ever happen, but it's not fun.

I suggest you add a simple topping lift to your boat. Attach a light line (about 3/8") to the pin at the masthead. Attach a small block to the aft end of the boom. Lead the line down through that block, and then forward to a point on the boom about 1 1/2 or two feet forward of the aft end. Attach a small cleat with a fairlead there. That will make a simple, inexpensive, functional, adjustable topping lift. The topping lift will support the boom while you raise the sail, but, unlike the pig tail, the topping lift doesn't "tie" the boom to the backstay. It will allow the boom to swing.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2017 :  18:12:40  Show Profile
Nice. I like the topping lift Idea. Question : I have a free halyard but its on the front of the mast . I think tt was for the Jib before they added the furler . but it would be controlled from the mast . What if I could tie the 3/8 in line to it. Hoist it and and use that until I take the mast down. would that work. Ill get the boom vang try the "soft preventer. Again thanks for the help

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2017 :  18:41:19  Show Profile
I don't know if the spare halyard will work, but there's no harm in trying it.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2017 :  21:39:42  Show Profile
Take a look at this discussion of setting up lines aft http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28916&SearchTerms=Topping,lift

Also, I used my extra jib halyard as a topping lift after forgetting to disconnect my pigtail once. It was high adventure in a strong wind. Just connect the free end (the end you would normally pull on if you had a hank-on jib) of the unused halyard to the end of the boom, make your adjustment and cleat the other end on the mast. Yes you'll have a 5/16" topping lift, but it really won't affect anything.

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2017 :  22:45:49  Show Profile
Thanks Ill try the topping lift. I looked at the sheave set up But it doesnt say. Is the triple clutch what holds the halyard then. Nothing else needed?

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2017 :  03:51:46  Show Profile
Yes, The clutches take the place of the cleat. No need to cleat the lines. Adjust your topping lift so that when the sail is fully up and tensioned it will be just slack. The sail supports the boom when the sail is up. When you lower the sail and release the halyard the boom will drop slightly and then be supported by the topping lift.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2017 :  11:06:18  Show Profile
The topping lift isn't loaded and can be much smaller line. Smaller line is harder to handle as you age, but there isn't much load. I have 1/4" line.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2017 :  12:43:30  Show Profile
Thanks Everyone I have a plan

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2017 :  13:54:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

The topping lift isn't loaded and can be much smaller line. Smaller line is harder to handle as you age, but there isn't much load. I have 1/4" line.

I agree. Don't know why I recommended 3/8" line. Probably age-related. It's much too heavy for a 25' boat. 1/4" would be better, or even 3/16" would be adequate. Thinner line adds less weight aloft and less windage. I raced my boat a lot and only used 1/8" line for the topping lift.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2017 :  19:03:42  Show Profile
I have some 3/16 ill use that. thanks

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page