Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Wednesday Night Sail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hewebb
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/17/2017 :  05:52:38  Show Profile
I have been involved with a group of guys that have a "guys night out"
Wednesday evening we meet at the dock around 4:30 to 5:00 spend some time BS'ing and deciding what boat(s) to take. Last night we took two S2-7.9's and my Catalina 25. It was a reach to the point and I got ahead of the S2's. I did a 360 to wait for them. Around the point it was a beat to the bridge (about 4 miles) They got ahead of me when going to weather. I rounded the mark at the bridge a boat length behind one of them and way behind the other one. We poled out the 150 and passed them going back to the point and got way ahead on the reach back to the marina. Of course we weren't racing. Yah right! We work at gassing the other boats if possible. We normally take bigger boats with more people aboard each boat. We get back to the dock around 8:30 where the food in the smoker is ready. Needless to say much beer is consumed and tall tails told. We have boats to 34' to take depending on the crowd. Last night there were 8 of us which is about normal. Been doing this for about three years now and it has become one of my favorite sailing events. Most of these guys are the ones I race against on Saturday.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2017 :  08:47:17  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I am not sure which part was the most enjoyable. I suspect it was the company first, the eating second and then the non-racing passing them, third....and that is only because you are, of course, a modest person that would not gloat about passing them. No way . LOL

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2017 :  05:03:51  Show Profile
We not only gloat but harass the other crews. If it wasn't for the companionship I would move back to another lake. Our marina came apart again yesterday for the 4th or 5th time this year. It only takes a 30MPH wind to blow it apart. We will not be sailing until they get it back together.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  19:44:32  Show Profile
My kind of race! Keep doing it as long as you can!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 09/17/2017 09:38:45
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2017 :  09:22:23  Show Profile
"Any time two sailboats are on the same point-of-sail on the same body of water,........"

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2017 :  13:09:04  Show Profile
Sounds like a ton of fun. I love the Wednesday night races mostly for the camaraderie. I'll be sad when we're done racing. Four more Wed. night races, then the final regatta on Oct. 14-15.

Ben
Beneteau 361
Viking Kitty
Columbus, Ohio
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2017 :  11:56:10  Show Profile
Me thinks you've been hustled.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page